Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
13,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rolling up the interstate thursday afternoon, was in the left lane about to pass a couple of 18 wheelers moving pretty slow.

Just as I get to the first truck, he suddenly changes lanes over in front of me and hits his brakes, apparently to allow the other truck ahead of him to move over for another truck pulling out off the shoulder.

The guy whipped over so fast and hit his brakes, that I couldn't slow down in time and I hit him hard.

The 18 wheelers KEPT GOING...DIDN'T STOP.

I pulled off onto the inside shoulder and median and stopped.

I didn't see any company name on the back of the 18 wheeler trailer and no way I could get the license plate number.

The airbags didn't deploy, and I hit the steering wheel hard into my chest, still hurts!!!

I guess this is partly my fault, probably should have slowed down when I came up on the slower moving trucks, but didn't expect the bonehead to suddenly swerve over in front of me, he didn't signal either.

So, crash bent the radiator support back, pushing the radiator into the fan clutch scraping holes in it, bumper pushed into the intercooler ripping a hole in it. Tweaked the upper engine compartment frame, front fenders, cracked headlights, bent the a/c condenser, broke or bent all kinds of mounts, bent and pushed back the fenders, trashed the hood.

State cops came out, took my statement, but without any info on the 18 wheeler, there wasn't much they could do about him, he was long gone.

The wrecker that came out and hauled my truck off turned out to be from a body shop at the closest town. Turned out to be a great place with a bunch of great friendly employees. They offered, of course, to do the whole repair job for me, but it would have taken them 10 days or so, having to have parts shipped in and what not. What I had them do was just get the truck driveable, so they pulled it apart, literally PULLED IT APART with their frame machine to get the radiator and intercooler out, found both those parts and some of the supporting parts, at a RAM dealer one town over from them, and got them installed and the truck back in driveable form in just one day. Great job they did, saved me from being stuck there for days.

I was on my way to get a trailer when this happened, didn't want to lose out on that, so after they got my truck driveable, I went ahead and drove on up and picked up the trailer and hauled it back home. ZERO ISSUES with driving it, even with the front end smashed.

New radiator is great, truck hasn't run this cool with a trailer on it since before the water pump crapped out on it. Never topped 200 even in 93 degree heat and a big head wind coming back through arkansas. Truck was cool, I was sweating my hiney off with no a/c!

pics...

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Bummer man. Sorry to hear it. Would have been nice if you had a camera recording.

·
Registered
13,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that sucks..........with the mileage do you think they will total it?? or will you fix it?

good idea blacking out the plate number, someone might want to steal a wrecked truck with 400k miles on it. LOL.
Well, insurance has already paid for the emergency repairs to get me back on the road, so I guess they will pay for the rest of the repairs.

As to blacking out the plate number, people to do lots of stupid stuff with your info when they find it online, figure best not to dangle it out there, not make it too easy for those idiots.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Wild..... Glad it wasn't ANY worse for you, man. You're a dedicated fellow to continue with the job!

I guess it's been a few days, but please pay close attention to post-traumatic injury...

Sorry to see your rig like that

--

·
Registered
725 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I’d be willing to bet he did feel getting rear ended by a big pickup and just kept going specifically due to dash cams. Woulda shown he cut you off without signaling.

I had a case a few months ago where a gravel truck hit a pedestrian, pulled over, realigned his headlight, looked around for traffic cameras, talked with another trucker who pulled over as well, and they both got in and left. Nobody called 911. Oops! Class-8 dealer / service center had a camera covering the lobby and caught enough to see the DOT numbers.

Most of them are consummate professionals, but some are straight up cannonballers who’ve taken to driving like distracted kamikaze soccer moms.

Glad you’re ok and your office is still operational.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
238 Posts
I use a dash cam too, in my pickup and my dump. All kinds of action out there, you need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
545 Posts
Wow! The trucker had to feel that by the damage done to your truck. Carma will get back at him. Hope all is ok with you. Trucks can be repaired or replaced.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Sorry about your truck but the important thing is you weren't injured. That's what counts.

As to the Semi? Nothing to do about that. You hit him in the arse, I assume?

Good luck. I'm glad ypu weren't hurt. Underwear is cheaper than Medical bills ;)

·
Registered
13,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Funny part at the body shop that I didn't include in the original post.

The insurance company adjuster did a "virtual assistant" estimate on the emergency repairs, using the body shop manager's phone like a video conference, he showed her the damage and what they would need to do to get it road worthy and safe.

A while later the adjuster called me to report that they had accepted the claim and authorized the repairs and they would be issuing the body shop the amount of $398 not including my $1000 deductible.

I was like "WHAT!!!" So she repeated it, and I said "UH, NO, I don't think so. The body shop told me it would be about $3000 if I were paying cash out of pocket. The only parts available anywhere close was from a RAM dealer and the parts would be way more than your estimate."

She then says she will call the body shop back and check it out. So, they did the whole estimate conference call again, going back over all the damage.

Body shop manager got back with me a little later and said they had it all worked out except that they only allowed him $8 for coolant! He said he wasn't going to go back through the hassles to get that fixed, just took what they gave him.

Took almost 6 gallons of coolant, truck holds 5.7 gallons so that was right on the mark.

Goofy the way they do things sometimes...

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Wild..... Glad it wasn't ANY worse for you, man. You're a dedicated fellow to continue with the job!

I guess it's been a few days, but please pay close attention to post-traumatic injury...

Sorry to see your rig like that

--
dedicated yes, also us self employed people get paid zero for a day of no work. So on this day he not only did not get paid he also went backwards because of the wreck. You have to try and make it up somehow.

·
Registered
13,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well, dropped the trailer off at the dealer a little while ago, off to the body shop now to get the rest of the repairs done.

Almost got into another crash, as I exited the interstate to go to the dealer, a car in the right lane of the interstate, apparently suddenly decided they were missing their exit, so they swerved over in front of me(about 200 feet ahead) and they were too late to get down the exit lane, they plowed right into the "V" barrier between the exit lane and the interstate. The car hit HARD, went almost straight up in the air, spinning over about 1.5 times and landed upside down in the grass between the frontage road and the exit lane. I had both feet standing up on the brake pedal to keep from ending up in the middle of their crash. I pulled off and called 911 and reported it, and by that time about 8 people were there trying to help the crash victim.

Sure am glad I keep those trailer brakes dialed up to 8 or 9!

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Well, dropped the trailer off at the dealer a little while ago, off to the body shop now to get the rest of the repairs done.

Almost got into another crash, as I exited the interstate to go to the dealer, a car in the right lane of the interstate, apparently suddenly decided they were missing their exit, so they swerved over in front of me(about 200 feet ahead) and they were too late to get down the exit lane, they plowed right into the "V" barrier between the exit lane and the interstate. The car hit HARD, went almost straight up in the air, spinning over about 1.5 times and landed upside down in the grass between the frontage road and the exit lane. I had both feet standing up on the brake pedal to keep from ending up in the middle of their crash. I pulled off and called 911 and reported it, and by that time about 8 people were there trying to help the crash victim.

Did you stay at the scene since you witnessed it ? They need to know what the idiot did, and they don't try to lay anything on you after you leave.

·
Registered
545 Posts

And I thought Californium drivers were bad! I guess they’re everywhere, just like a Prius!:stirpot:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Sorry about today's events man. That sucks.

I have seen more and more CDL drivers (dump trucks, 18 wheelers) driving like kamakazi idiots from a 3rd world country. A few times its taken all the truck had to avoid an incident. It's only a matter of time. They seem to be particularly bad about just cutting people off and not caring. Sometimes it's not me; I've seen them just plow other people off the road.

I've been anti-dash cam for a long time; but it's getting more and more evident that I need one. Some of the shenanigans are just ridiculous.

I love the ones who miss an exit and do that crap. Is it really that big a deal to go down to the next one and turn around? or take a different route? Hell, I miss exits to. But I don't make the rest of the world pay for my mistake. And though they are paying for their mistake today, I do not feel sorry for them. I'm glad they didn't take out anyone else.

And I keep my trailer brakes on 8 or 9 as well. I want to be able to stop. Pretty sure its caught a few tailgaters off guard a few times!

Glad you're up and running. I'm noticing around 100k that my temps are increasing a little; not much, just 2-5* higher than when it was brand new. Get her fixed up and put another 400k on that beast.

·
Registered
13,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If I'd had a dashcam today, that video would have been BIG on youtube! When that car hit the barrier, it flew straight up, spinning as it went. CRAZY!!!

I do have to feel bad about the driver, they had to have been injured in that one, even though it was their own stupidity that caused it. They were doggone lucky they didn't involve any other vehicle(s) in the crash.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts