Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so i just picked up this overflow valve on ebay for 25 bucks it was a great price and thought i'd replace mine when i go home in a week....now the thing is ive seen a few different pics of these valves where it looks like theres another bolt head) on top of the valve and as you can see by this one there is no such thing, am i missing something or is that just the way it is, and ive seen some pics that look like theres no hole and ball showing like this one just flat across....and my trucks about 250 miles away from me so going out to my truck and looking is kind of out of the question, but help me please im a little concerened i got the wrong thing or am missing something. thanks View attachment 8236

·
Registered
701 Posts
so i just picked up this overflow valve on ebay for 25 bucks it was a great price and thought i'd replace mine when i go home in a week....now the thing is ive seen a few different pics of these valves where it looks like theres another bolt head) on top of the valve and as you can see by this one there is no such thing, am i missing something or is that just the way it is, and ive seen some pics that look like theres no hole and ball showing like this one just flat across....and my trucks about 250 miles away from me so going out to my truck and looking is kind of out of the question, but help me please im a little concerened i got the wrong thing or am missing something. thanks View attachment 8236
You arent missing anything...either one will work. they made different revisions and they all do the same thing. go ahead and install it and have fun

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You arent missing anything...either one will work. they made different revisions and they all do the same thing. go ahead and install it and have fun
great, thanks for the input, you guys are great:beer

·
AlGores worst nightmare
1,953 Posts
These are the part numbers, for the right one.
Mopar 04883838AA
Cummins 3932096

·
Registered
94 Posts
heard bad things about ebay OFV

sells from dealer for $180. pure diesel power has one for about $55 (ask for the sealing washer). i just bought that one, i have heard bad things about the ebay units, but good about pure diesel power and (i think also TST). ebay units - may last for a while, but i have heard less than a year. my $.02
jon

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i mean it is a genuine bosch part, its not like some homemade part or anything, i dont know if theres a way to cross reference the part numbers from bosch but its 1417413047 well when i go home next week and i put it on i guess we'll see what happens

·
Registered
94 Posts
yes, it does say bosch

there have been threads on here about the $25 ebay OFV, yes, they say bosch. others have said, the most that you can hope for is 1 yr life. i just bought a pressure gauge from larry b to keep an eye on the pressure. just relaying what i have read others state about it. i stayed away, since others said not to trust it, but good things about TST and pure diesel, still a good deal (just get a sealing washer) at $55.
cheap is expensive. keep an eye on your fuel pressure. again, just what i've heard.
jon

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
When my old OF valve died I bought one from TST Products. If they are all like the one I got from them you will have a lot more fuel pressure than you did before. Mine idles at 28 to 32 PSI. Over 40 PSI on the road much of the time. Always over 37 PSI on the road.

·
Registered
661 Posts
what does the OFV do and what are the symptoms of one thats failed

·
Registered
661 Posts
is thier any way to tell if they are defective by looking at them?

·
Registered
94 Posts
it is a check valve, has a spring and a ball. it maintains the pressure around 25psi (or more) install a fuel gauge (larry b's) on the fuel filter. if pressure is low, possibly a OFV. if OFV doesn't hold, the pressure will go down. other things can be the cause though.
jon

·
Registered
94 Posts
larry b

go to Foster Truck. they have some real good upgrades - starter relay, starter saver, starter contacts (to make it last longer), marine fuel line. the fuel pressure gauge is real simple (liquid filled to protect it). attaches to the fuel filter. monitor the fuel pressure, if there is ever a problem, makes it easier to find.
jon

·
Registered
76 Posts
what does the overflow valve do ?

·
Registered
661 Posts
is there anyother way to test the OFV with out a fuel pressure gauge?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts