Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not had any issues in a while with my truck. I am 23,600 miles. I have noticed a new noise on start up. The noise is heard only after the truck sits all night. It does not happen all the time. It sounds like something sliding and scraping as it is sliding. I happens right after startup. I almost think it is the Turbo. Anyone have any ideas. I plan to take it into the Dealer this week. I have the original Turbo.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Interesting Zigfreed...I'm getting the same noise under the same circumstances, only after it sits for awhile. Just started in my rig. I'm at just over 13k. It's almost like a belt is engaging late.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
same issue here but net all the time, I was just getting ready to take it in for a look-see and now it has stopped again!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Now that it's starting to warm up, did you notice if this problem started after you began using the AC again?

On mine, you will get a clank or clang right on start up since the AC compressor is the lowest point in the AC system and the coolant pools there and makes the compressor clutch noicy for just an instant.

·
Registered
190 Posts
MtnTrucker that could be it, but I haven't used my AC yet. The clank/clang you describe though is the correct sound.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Today, my A/C clutch made a hell of a sound, on start up. On one of my other posts, I described my VGT/EB making a slam sound, somebody suggested that it was my A/C clutch. It wasn't then, but it made a horrible sound, today.

If I remember right, somebody talked about a remedy for the A/C clutch. Maybe a recall. I was unable to make the sound happen again.

All help is appreciated.......
-Rhyno

·
Registered
721 Posts
Remember even if you arn't using the AC the compresser comes on anytime the defroster is on. It helps dehydrate the air. Don't know if it helps, mine's quiet as can be.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
The AC compressor on my truck 'clangs' real good when I first start it up (with the defrost or AC on) after sitting for a few weeks, rather unnerving the first couple of times I heard / felt it happen.

I've also had a 'pop' from what I assume was the VGT cycling while the engine started on a quick 'throw the key in and go' start up.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
I had a/c do that on mine with using for a while. :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
hmmmm..... interesting cuz that happened to me this morning, i thought it was nothing... let me know what the dealer says.

·
Registered
11 Posts
the turbo uses a sliding nozzle in the turbo to regulate boost pressure. It is electronically control. There has been big problems with these.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Mine's done it twice now...kind of sounds like a metallic rubbery squeal/scraping noise off the right side, right?

I've been running my A/C lately.

·
Registered
190 Posts
6.7 thats the sound. I haven't run the AC yet here. I think I'll be able to get it to the dealer this weekend. I'll let everyone know what they say. I think my dealership and the techs are pretty lousy when it comes to diesels so it could be a grain of salt situation.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright thanks for the help. I have not made it into the dealer this week. As soon as I get into the dealer I will update the post.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I haven't made it to the dealer yet, but I noticed if i turn my fan to the off position before I start up, then start up, the noise doesn't happen. Uhhh...??

·
Registered
479 Posts
Is your HVAC mode selector in one of the defrost positions? Or is the A/C button pressed? It could be an A/C startup sound, either the compressor or the fan clutch. The compressor will run even without the button if the mode is in defrost.

I had a 2004 Ford pickup that employed a computer controlled strategy called CASS (computerized anti-slugging system) to mitigate the chance the compressor would swallow liquid refrigerant on start up. In all A/C systems the refrigerant gas will tend to migrate to the coldest part of the system. It can condense into liquid and this can be hard on the compressor. In home A/C units there is sometimes an electric heater on the compressor to keep this from happening. On the Ford truck it woud cycle the A/C compressor just after every cold start just to keep the refrigerant from pooling up in one spot.

I guess it's more likely the fan clutch or the compressor clutch. Mine doesn't do it but I normally have the HVAC fan switch off at startup.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Just started getting the same noise after recharging my A/C system last week. has anyone had an update on the sound?

Has it caused damage, broke something, gotten worse or better????

1 - 17 of 17 Posts