Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Nitto Trail Grapplers 295/70/17 on stock rims. Rides really good. I had the stock all season street tires on it up till now. My first non all-highway tire.

I took a couple of decibel readings:
Stock it was 74db at 70 mph.
TG's it is 75 db at 70 mph.
That is pretty good for an MT tire compared to a stock highway tire.

They do sway a bit at speed if you turn quickly, probably from the big lugs.

I wanted the Toyo MT's but both E rated sizes I wanted (285/75 and 295/70)were on back order for 4 weeks to six months so I'm not waiting that long for tires...

With the recommended rim width of 10" for all the 35" tires I looked at, I couldn't see putting them on an 8" rim. I know a lot of people do but the minimum recommended width is 8.5 so I passed on the 35"s. Maybe next time when if I get wider rims. I'm pretty happy with the 295's (33.5").

Here is a pic with recently installed Kore HP kit.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Nice. I wanted to try the Trail Grapplers this time, but in a 35. I went to the local tire store and they wanted $500 per tire!!!!! That is why I usually buy my tires outta the States.

I stuck with the Toyo A/T's in a 285/75/17. They worked well last time.

Anyway, sweet truck and good choice on tires. Looks great!!!

·
Registered
427 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
man i hope yours last longer than mine are
How long did your Trail grapplers last? I researched a lot of sights and post and found a lot of people who only got 15-20k out of the Terra grapplers, didn't see any bad about the Trail grapplers.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I've got about 10,000 on my terra grapplers with very little wear so far. Your truck looks great man!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I love my trail grapplers!! I only have about 6K on them but seem to be wearing great. Might sound crazy but my buddy manages a tire shop his family has owned for years And he says to rotate them every 1500 to 2000 miles. I am goin to try this and see how much of a difference it makes.
35X12.50 with Kore leveling kit

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
well maybe if someone has the time to rotate them every 1.5wks, but i dont, they get rotated at every oil change which is 5-6k miles. i have 19k on them now and doubt i will make 25k before they are too dangerous to drive on. kinda weird how the E295s have the same load rating at a D range tire

·
Registered
427 Posts
295/70/17 nitto trail graps
Thought you may be referring to my post about the Toyos. I've heard alot of good things about the Trail Grapps, so it's weird you aren't getting good life outta them. I could have picked up the Terra Grapplers for about $50 less a tire but I've heard too many negative things about them.

I got almost 40k of hard towing out of my Toyo A/T's and they grip really well in winter. That's good enough for me.

I may have gone with the Trail Grapps if the price was a little better on the 35's. They are awesome looking tires but if I can't go big, I'll stick with an A/T.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I don't know how you got 40K out of the Toyo ATs. I have 25K, and I will make it through the summer but no way make it to winter. I rotated every 3K, checked air pressure all the time. They wore great to 20k, hardly noticed the wear, then all the sudden it was like the tread went down everytime I drove it. I love the tires, but a little disappointed in the wear.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I don't know how you got 40K out of the Toyo ATs. I have 25K, and I will make it through the summer but no way make it to winter. I rotated every 3K, checked air pressure all the time. They wore great to 20k, hardly noticed the wear, then all the sudden it was like the tread went down everytime I drove it. I love the tires, but a little disappointed in the wear.
I had heard that they wear really fast too. However, mine seemed to hang in there. I wanted to give the Trail Grapps a try this go round, but the price was too steep for me for the size I wanted.

Reactions: white076.7

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well maybe if someone has the time to rotate them every 1.5wks, but i dont, they get rotated at every oil change which is 5-6k miles. i have 19k on them now and doubt i will make 25k before they are too dangerous to drive on. kinda weird how the E295s have the same load rating at a D range tire
There is more to a load rating than the weight. E's have stiffer side walls and run 80 PSI. D's have softer sidewall (more sway) and lower pressure (more sway, worse MPG). The E is better for towing with those two additional features over a D rated tire. Lower pressure D's can put more of a contact patch to the ground which results in more rolling resistance for everyday driving.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mine have done pretty good, problem is i didn't rotate them as much as i wanted to since i drive so much. Got them exactly a year ago and they have 53k miles on them. My fronts are almost done now and NTB said they don't want to rotate them sine the fronts are worn down so much more than the rears. The rears still got another 20k miles on them at least and the fronts still got about another 5-10k miles. But i am gonna buy 2 new ones, put them on and rotate them to rear and the current rear ones will go to the front. I am pleased with them though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts