Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I found a 2017 3500 g56 truck near me at the Ram dealer. I had the sales manager send me the hours and mileage. It has 89,000 Km’s and 503 driving hours, with 181 idle hours. This equates to an average speed of 176km/hr. What is going on here? I noticed in the pic the gauge cluster has the automatic gear selector indicators but I determined that all of the trucks share the same cluster. Truck has no accidents. It’s a ST model. Fairly plan, no carpet floor. Looks really good. It lived a year in Alberta. I was concerned it might be an oil truck. Can the dealer fudge the hours? Thanks

·
Registered
164 Posts
Manual trucks should not show the automatic transmission gear selections in the cluster. Sounds like someone swapped clusters and didn't program that cluster correctly or they sent you the wrong picture.

If it is the correct picture the hours and odometer can be changed pretty easy using a fairly cheap program. But you can't change the odometer info stored by the pcm, which the dealer should be able to retrieve. I would definitely be wary of it either way.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'd stay away from that!! Looks like something has been messed with on the numbers. If they did that, what else are they trying to hide?!?!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Here is the cluster. I read on another post that all ram trucks use the same cluster. Not sure if that is true. No reported accidents in the car fax.
I may be wrong about the SLT manual clusters still having the spots for the auto gear selections, I guess they just don't light up on a manual.

The hours are notorious for being inaccurate, and a couple members have had them randomly reset. I am not sure if the hours are also stored in the pcm.

The dealer should be able to check it out more thoroughly, just not sure if I would trust the selling dealer.

·
Registered
244 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know what you guys are saying. This is one of 2 ram Chrysler dealers in my city. If they were shady you think their reputation would be crap. I’m talking to the sales manager Monday. I’ll see if I can be there when they hook up a reader. Truck looks really good. Front and rear bumpers were dinged up a little. They replaced both. They also put on new rims and tires. It had winters on it with stock wheels a couple of weeks ago. They are asking 45k. I’m in Canada. Model is a ST. Can any other g56 owners comment on the gauge cluster? Thanks for your help guys

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oil field work truck. Oil rigs. It’s very cold in northern Alberta. I’ve heard of some trucks running all night and day in the field.

·
Registered
525 Posts
keep in mind not all accidents get reported to insurance, thus won;t show up on car fax!

sounds to me like something is fishy, and this alone says walk away IMO
why gamble on a problem child you can avoid

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Here is the cluster. I read on another post that all ram trucks use the same cluster. Not sure if that is true. No reported accidents in the car fax.
Nothing to worry about. The hours are a novelty item and I wouldn’t pay any attention to them. I’ve witnessed them skip numbers and reset on multiple Rams- enough to know not to put any stock in them. As far as mileage, if you’re concerned, have the dealer pull the mileage from the PCM to compare.
All clusters have the PRND capability.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Hello all. I found a 2017 3500 g56 truck near me at the Ram dealer. I had the sales manager send me the hours and mileage. It has 89,000 Km’s and 503 driving hours, with 181 idle hours. This equates to an average speed of 176km/hr. What is going on here? I noticed in the pic the gauge cluster has the automatic gear selector indicators but I determined that all of the trucks share the same cluster. Truck has no accidents. It’s a ST model. Fairly plan, no carpet floor. Looks really good. It lived a year in Alberta. I was concerned it might be an oil truck. Can the dealer fudge the hours? Thanks
https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2013-2018-general-discussion/2470949-hour-meter-reset-itself.html

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Nothing to worry about. The hours are a novelty item and I wouldn’t pay any attention to them. I’ve witnessed them skip numbers and reset on multiple Rams- enough to know not to put any stock in them. As far as mileage, if you’re concerned, have the dealer pull the mileage from the PCM to compare.
All clusters have the PRND capability.
If hrs are a novelty item why do all heavy equipment manufacturers use them for maintenance intervals?

·
Registered
739 Posts
If hrs are a novelty item why do all heavy equipment manufacturers use them for maintenance intervals?

Cuz they don’t have odometers and they don’t make many miles doing the work they do.

But your correct in the fact they are important as it can show the life an engine has had.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Sorry...I say they are a novelty item because there is no way to know if they have been tracked accurately. Heavy equipment manufacturers probably have the time keeping down pat, but we’re not talking about that. Every ram truck I’ve driven, I’ve witnessed the hours jumping around. Combined with the multiple posts on here of this occurrence, and every other FCA vehicle forum with postings of this issue, I have no reason to believe that the logic FCA is using in their clusters is reliable. Sure, we can have pages of members saying “mine keeps track of the hours accurately”, but the fact remains that it does happen across all FCA vehicles. So, I’ll modify my above statement and stand by it- I wouldn’t put any stock in the displayed hours on *any FCA vehicle*.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Oil field work truck. Oil rigs. It’s very cold in northern Alberta. I’ve heard of some trucks running all night and day in the field.
Ok, a work truck. You should be able to recognize one with a beat up bed, frayed dirty worn upholstery, mud stains on the carpet, boot scuffs on the threshold and rockers and dirt and mud under the truck.
A 24/7 running truck may be easier on an engine than a daily cold start at -20.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I was in a mechanic class many, many years ago taught by a guy who was a maintenance manager for a gigantic Roadway depot. out toward Youngstown somewhere.

He told us, and I have no way of knowing if this is true or not, that they never turned those truck engines off. He sai, when it was time to change the oil, they had a bypass valvee around the filter and R&Red it, then added however many gallons of oil it took to refill it.

He said they used what he called 'airplane oil' which, I'm sure, meant synthetic.

I was not mechanic material. He encouraged me to stay on, saying that there was no doubt that I'd be a Service Writer someday. I didn't want to be a Service Writer. I wanted to be a mechanic.

But the truth is, it's something you're kinda born with. Like an artist, or a musician. Of all the 'mechanics' in this world, the vast, overwhelming majority of them fall into two categories -- Grease Monkeys or Parts Changers. I wanted to be a mechanic. And I just didn't have the knack for it. Few do. It's an art.

Plus, and this important -- It's seriously hard work. :)

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Why is an oil truck bad?
Not bad if you know what you're buying, but typically very high idle hours, high no load driving hours and lots of bad roads and basically a "rental."
Other than that, they're grrrreat!

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
BTW, hour meter issues are a known issue, unsure how common it is though. Ask to get the hours off the ECM, I believe it logs correctly there.
Otherwise great material to chew them down a buncha loonies on the price!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Maybe they mistakenly put the wrong interior picture in. I have a Laramie G56 and I don’t have the automatic indicators.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts