Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
8,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So like many others, I bought and installed an airdog 150 and suffered from 1/4 tank issues for years...in fact unlike others, I suffered 1/2 tank issues because I installed my draw straw in the fuel canister. (I didn't want to put a hole in my tank)
I also had broken off both quick connects on the stock fuel system so I had to jerry rig my vp44 return since the QC fitting was busted, and use a hose over it to connect...that started leaking fuel, so I finally bit the bullet and bought the DSV modified liberty fuel canister from vulcan. I also replaced the return fuel line from the vp44 to the tank.

Now during the install I noticed that the feed and return line positions were reversed on the liberty fuel module. (the big QC nipple is on the rear, and the small is on the front) so that means to hook to a dodge (which is opposite) you have to install the canister turned diagonally towards the rear for your return line from the vp44 to reach its connection. it also comes with a 1/2" push lock for the airdog return hose that adapts to the larger QC fitting on the canister to put your fuel return directly in the canister. that part was easy enough to slip on to the hose after soaking the hose in boiling water and sliding it right on.

now for hooking up the draw straw to the feed hose on the airdog, that got a bit tricky...my fuel tank's fuel module is right behind the cab, so having the draw straw connection face forwards towards the front of the truck was NOT an option because with the hose fitting connected it would have hit the cab or put enough pressure to break the QC fitting in front of it.

So I had to go out and get myself a 6500-08-08 fitting (90° 08 JIC male to 08 JIC female swivel) and point the DS connection towards the rear of the truck and use the 90 to hook up to it without putting a kink in my airdog hose

also had to take a cutting bit on a drill to grind down the plastic on top of the canister so the fitting would screw on to the DS fitting. (this would have had to be done no matter what direction it faces...Vulcan offers to do it for an extra charge, but if you have a cutting bit and a drill, or a dremel, its easy to do on your own...you could even use a soldering iron and melt it down if you want...it'll stink, but it'll work...just make sure you dont do it around fuel! :shock:)

so after grinding and hooking everything up, here is the end result:

now the part you are all waiting for.... how well does this $300 thing work?!

Let me be the first to say that I am blown away from the results!!! :shock:

before install, I drained every last drop of fuel out of my tank (literally I turned it upside down and dumped the last out into a container :hehe:)

I had it bone dry and cleaned up the tank so definitely no fuel in it...after everything was installed I put exactly 5 gallons in the tank and I fired the truck up...to my surprise my fuel empty light was on, I was below 1/4 tank, and I had no fuel pressure problems! it was stable! so I thought that too good to be true, and put my other 5 gal diesel jug in the truck bed just in case, and took her for a test drive and put it through its paces...

still that pressure gauge isn't bouncing around...so I took it up and back down a 6% grade, still going perfect!!! so I started accelerating and slamming on the brakes while on the down hill slope of the 6% grade...still that pressure gauge aint moving and by that point I was at 4 gallons or less left!! so I set my fueling box to kill and really got on it trying to slosh fuel and use fuel quickly, and still that fp gauge was acting like it does when I have a full tank! I'm impressed!!! its just like stock again! I ran it down to 3 gallons left and it still was doing perfect! truck took 32 gallons when I got to the fuel station. its been over 3 years since I saw the low fuel light on my truck or seen it below 1/2 tank...

So for those looking for a 1/4 tank issue fix: move your fuel return to the canister, and get the DS-V in your canister...it completely eliminates 1/4 tank issues!!! :party018::thumbsup:

here was my tank level and my steady fuel pressure:

that's right 18psi steady pressure and just barely above the red on EMPTY! :woot:

btw a trick I figured out to make sure the fuel module don't leak like some peeps had issues with...use both the o-ring, AND the stock gasket...I filled it all the way till fuel was at the top of the filler neck, and zero fuel leaks. even double checked top of canister, and its bone dry :thumbsup: use both o-ring and stock gasket and it spaces it out perfectly to seal up right the first time.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have the Liberty Module as well. I agree the thing works great. No issues at all and I always add 30 gallons to my tank when I fill up. It will go lower too and not have any issues picking up the fuel. IMO its worth the $300 bucks!

Reactions: jigabop

·
Registered
8,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
btw: shout out to Jamie at CPP for getting me an awesome deal on this fuel module, and for excellent customer service! He really does go above and beyond for his customers :thumbsup:

Reactions: cummins724

·
Registered
494 Posts
Jigabop ....have you ever thought about being a salesman for Vulcan or Jamie ? Haha because you just sold me on buying a liberty module. Very nice write up. Thanks for all the tips.

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
I've been runnin mine for 3 months now, had a fuel leak on the road. Got under the truck found my return line leaking, wiggled it and the plastic nipple on top of the canister broke in two. I ran fuel injection hose from broken nipple to frame line and cut off the funny connectors. Wish I would've done this along time ago. Other than this the canister is a great purchase.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
81 Posts
I got a question will this stop my gauge from
Reading the wrong fule level because when it shows half a tank I'm
At empty

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
You may still have half a tank of diesel. Your stock unit may be broken, pretty common in these trucks. Commonly referred to as quarter tank issue.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Liberty Module

Is the Liberty Module recommended for the Fass system also? Does the Fass system also have 1/4 tank issues? Or just the AirDog?

·
Registered
81 Posts
You may still have half a tank of diesel. Your stock unit may be broken, pretty common in these trucks. Commonly referred to as quarter tank issue.

I know it's not that because I can put 30 gallons in my truck when it's at half a tank so would this make my fule gauge work right

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
The kit airdog gives you with the in tank pump will.work if you do not follow there instructions if you do it there way it will run out between 1/4 to 1/8 tank don't follow there instructions and it will suck the tank down to below empty and save you 300 bucks you would spend on the liberty basket

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
I installed fass, and the liberty canister same day. I think the sending unit may be wore out on your canister, there is a thread on here with a 3.00 fix to make your gauge work again.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
I like your review.

i was told when i bought my draw straw to lift up the tank and i cut it almost at the bottom on a up and down tooth pattern, i don't have 1/4 tank issues, and after i tested it i also bent my sender so i fill up at 1/8 tank and its about 27 gallons.

i now loose fuel pressure a little below E.

·
Registered
8,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jigabop ....have you ever thought about being a salesman for Vulcan or Jamie ? Haha because you just sold me on buying a liberty module. Very nice write up. Thanks for all the tips.
haha they can't afford me :thumbsup: I work as a support engineer and network administrator.

Just thought the info would be helpful to others looking for a cure for their 1/4 tank issues as I suffered from them for years when I didn't have to. Some people say they never have 1/4 tank issues, but they also live in more level areas...I live in the cascade foothills...you cant go a mile without being on a hill here. hills are absolutely everywhere and that's when the 1/4 tank issue happens the most.

I've been runnin mine for 3 months now, had a fuel leak on the road. Got under the truck found my return line leaking, wiggled it and the plastic nipple on top of the canister broke in two. I ran fuel injection hose from broken nipple to frame line and cut off the funny connectors. Wish I would've done this along time ago. Other than this the canister is a great purchase.

that sucks. I would definitely suggest making sure your hoses rest in a position that does not put any kind of side to side pressure on the QC nipples. zip tie the hoses together to keep em from moving around, and zip tie to the truck to prevent them from moving.

I got a question will this stop my gauge from
Reading the wrong fule level because when it shows half a tank I'm
At empty
the liberty module will yes. the draw straw 5 will not.
the liberty module is a complete fuel module with a brand new float and sending unit. so it will fix that issue if it is indeed a bad float or sending unit.

Is the Liberty Module recommended for the Fass system also? Does the Fass system also have 1/4 tank issues? Or just the AirDog?
yes the fass system suffers the same issues, and yes the liberty module will work with the fass system to correct that issue. :thumbsup:

Reactions: 2001Belc

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Loss of mpg with Liberty pump

I know this is an older post but have any of you noticed a loss in MPG with this system??
I've lost 3-4mpg 80-100 miles on fill up. I always fill up at 26 gallons (3/4 of a tank) was getting 400 miles now 300-305 if I'm lucky. Should be way better especially all deleted. Can't figure out why, nothing pointing to any bad injectors, leaks, etc. I have plenty of power if not more across the power band. I still baby my truck.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Loss of mpg with Liberty pump

I know this is an older post but have any of you noticed a loss in MPG with this system??
I've lost 3-4mpg 80-100 miles on fill up. I always fill up at 26 gallons (3/4 of a tank) was getting 400 miles now 300-305 if I'm lucky. Should be way better especially all deleted. Can't figure out why, nothing pointing to any bad injectors, leaks, etc. I have plenty of power if not more across the power band. I still baby my truck.

·
Registered
8,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:confused013: check for leaks, and did you clean your tank?

Liberty module has a pickup screen that can get clogged up if there is a lot of dirt in your tank that the old draw straw couldn't reach..

best way to tell if something is clogged up is either physically checking it, or having a fuel pressure gauge and being able to physically see the difference in pressures before and after install.

my pressure went up slightly after install due to the 3/8" QC nipple that the return line got relocated to.

pressure goes down 1 or 2psi after it gets to 1/2 tank as that return straw is no longer submerged in diesel fuel so pressure drops slightly from that, but since I idle at 20PSI on a full tank and 18PSI on a 1/2 tank or empty tank, its not a big deal for me...still well within the upper safe range for my injection pump.

·
Registered
940 Posts
great write up and sold me on getting the canister. seems to be the best way to get my FP and pump covered and then that will fix my gauge being off at 1/2 a tank. Thanks for the link in my other post nad great write up

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Why not just get a sump for half the price?

Also, I know I am ignorant on this, because I have never installed a draw straw, or even opened up the stock canister before. But what is so different about the draw straw vs the stock suction tube? Is the stock tube not, just that, a tube? You are just replacing the smaller stock tube with a larger pickup tube no? Please explain :confused013:

Also, are 1/4 tank issues a pre 98 thing too? Or just 24 valves?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Why not just get a sump for half the price?

Also, I know I am ignorant on this, because I have never installed a draw straw, or even opened up the stock canister before. But what is so different about the draw straw vs the stock suction tube? Is the stock tube not, just that, a tube? You are just replacing the smaller stock tube with a larger pickup tube no? Please explain :confused013:

Also, are 1/4 tank issues a pre 98 thing too? Or just 24 valves?
1/4 issues aren't a problem until a drawstraw is installed with an aftermarket lift pump. This is because a lot of times the drawstraw is cut too short causing air to be sucked up when the fuel sloshes at a 1/4 tank. Mine was bad enough that I started sucking air on turns and during braking at 1/2 tank.

I installed the liberty module to fix the 1/4 tank issue, and my fuel sender wasn't working properly. So I knocked out two birds with one stone.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts