Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long should I expect all the air to get out of the injector lines after an injector install. Just put in FBD 100's. Truck runs rough at idle. They are brand new injectors and I know that I got all the copper o rings out and in. I have only driven it maybe 7 or 8 miles. It runs great, just sounds like crap sitting at idle.

·
Mule Barn Proprietor
11,118 Posts
double Check all of the Fuel line connections at the head to to be sure thats not the problem. Did you pull the connector tubes all the way out, or just far enough to remove and replace injectors?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
double Check all of the Fuel line connections at the head to to be sure thats not the problem. Did you pull the connector tubes all the way out, or just far enough to remove and replace injectors?
Just pulled them far enough out to get the injectors out and in. If I did missalign a crossover tube will it be ruined?

·
Premium Member
19,886 Posts
hmmmm sounds familiar huh josh. mine did this too. i forgot to tighten 4 out of 6 injectors. it sounds kind of like that. just check them again to make sure. other than that the only thing i could think of is an injector not seated.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmmm sounds familiar huh josh. mine did this too. i forgot to tighten 4 out of 6 injectors. it sounds kind of like that. just check them again to make sure. other than that the only thing i could think of is an injector not seated.

What do you mean when you say injectors? The retainers or the crossover tubes.

·
Premium Member
19,886 Posts
you have a retainer plate on top of your injector. if your injector isn't seated properly then it can cause a miss. the orings on the cross over tube and the injectors are used to keep pressure in the return side. bad orings will cause hard starts.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright so I took everything back apart this morning. I inspected all six crossover tubes, all six injectors, and all ferrells at the end of the fuel lines. I unstrapped all the fuel lines to give everything a nice clean approach. I reinstalled each injector (paying special attention to copper orings and seating each one). I hand tightened each retainer. I reinstalled each crossover tube after cleaning them and applying oil to the oring. I hand tightened each fuel line fitting to be sure that the fuel line and tubes seated. I torqued the retainers to 89 in/lbs and then tightened up the fuel lines.

Still idles rough. Like I say, on the road it runs great, just idles rough. Rough in my opinion anyway. What are the chances that it is one of the brand new injectors?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yeah and I double checked that all the old injectors had their copper rings on them.

I guess tomorrow afternoons activities will be putting back in the old injectors to see if that straightens things up.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Did you call Gus about it? I would check with him.... I have a set of his 240's and mine is not ruff at all..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you call Gus about it? I would check with him.... I have a set of his 240's and mine is not ruff at all..
Yeah I've called and left a message, but I've only been working on this since Sat. morning, so I don't really expect to hear from him until Monday. I'm just eliminating everything I can before I talk to him.

·
Registered
456 Posts
when i put my 90's in yesterday it idled a little different for a bit. if you didnt know the truck you would never notice but since i know my truck i could hear just a really slight miss. so i let it sit in the driveway and high idle till it hit 145 then revved it a couple of times (no transmission so i couldnt drive it) then raised the idle again help it then let it sit and all was good.

my injectors were used to so i think one of em had something in one of the holes i dunno seems to run fine again now.

·
Registered
209 Posts
My truck idles rough too after installing edge 100 hp nozzles. Runs great just idles rough. I have just left it alone and no problems so far.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
My truck idles rough too after installing edge 100 hp nozzles. Runs great just idles rough. I have just left it alone and no problems so far.
That is common for edge injectors or nozzles, not for FBD injectors though

·
Registered
209 Posts
What are FBD injectors? Doesn't that mean he got them from Farmboy? I got my jammers from him.

·
Registered
456 Posts
That is common for edge injectors or nozzles, not for FBD injectors though
What are FBD injectors? Doesn't that mean he got them from Farmboy? I got my jammers from him.
im assuming farmboy sells his own injectors / nozzles as well as edges.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Yeah that's what it means. However, I believe, the nozzles that are installed on Gus's injectors are made a totally different way than what edge makes. I had jammers in my truck, drove nice, but really nasty idle quality. I went to a good set of EDM'd injectors and the idle quality is smooth as a babies but.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
im assuming farmboy sells his own injectors / nozzles as well as edges.
NOt sure, but I know they have to be better craftsmanship than edge injectors

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well I wish he would have told me about the rough idle issue and that there are better ones out there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah that's what it means. However, I believe, the nozzles that are installed on Gus's injectors are made a totally different way than what edge makes. I had jammers in my truck, drove nice, but really nasty idle quality. I went to a good set of EDM'd injectors and the idle quality is smooth as a babies but.
Yeah, Gus makes his own injectors. They are very reasonably priced and burn cool and clean. I really want to get this idle issue straightened out, because other than that they are awesome. Low egts and little to no smoke (of course I only run a puck).

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Well I wish he would have told me about the rough idle issue and that there are better ones out there.
I don't think I have ever heard about rough idle issues with his injetors. I have however heard alot about rough idle issues with edge products injectors. Not that they are bad quality by any means, just that there are other nozzle machining processes that are more efficient

1 - 20 of 53 Posts