Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I recently went from 50HP Injectors to 150HP DAP Injectors. After the Installation my truck started up fine. I noticed that my truck was actually more lopey and shaky in Idle, Drive, And Reverse. When I put the Truck in Drive it acts like it wants to stall out. Keep in mind my Truck is a 24v 2nd Gen Automatic. I tried stalling it out by slightly hitting the gas quickly and letting off instantly and turns out it stalled on me. It runs and drives good besides the stalling part. I do have a quadzilla adrealine and it is wire tapped. If I tried I still can't produce smoke even with a 2200 Fuel Stretch. Does this mean my VP44 is going out or is it my airdog not pushing enough psi?

·
Registered
8 Posts
When you’re driving a diesel truck, the right mix of fuel and air can make a big difference to your final performance – and that means getting it right is one of the most important things you can do to boost your engine’s performance. So today we’re going to talk about fuel injectors, increasing their ability, and how you can get more fuel into the engine itself.
Kodi nox

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you’re driving a diesel truck, the right mix of fuel and air can make a big difference to your final performance – and that means getting it right is one of the most important things you can do to boost your engine’s performance. So today we’re going to talk about fuel injectors, increasing their ability, and how you can get more fuel into the engine itself.
Any Idea what my Issue is?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Are you just trying to get more smoke?

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
Did you put larger connector tubes an/or high pressure lines in when you did the injectors?

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
Were the opening pressures set higher on the injectors set around 300BAR or higher? I've heard trucks can have the issues you're havng when the pop pressure is on the higher side.

Reactions: jkidd

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't have a Fuel Pressure Sensor I might need to get one. Could low PSI from the Airdog do these symptoms? Truck worked perfect with the 50hp but I'm guessing the 150HP injectors needs more fuel.

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
What Airdog unit do you have? I doubt you would have a fuel psi issue with an Airdog anyways unless it is one of the factory replacement ones, 100gph or more and you should be good. Low fuel psi even at idle would not have your idle symptoms, the fuel psi is just for the injection pump to live unless it super low like less than 5psi. You really do want to have a fuel psi gauge anyways on a VP44 since they are lubricated and cooled by fuel. I was under the impression that you got a writeup of at least where the opening pressures were set at, maybe only if you asked them to be set at a certain opening pressure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What Airdog unit do you have? I doubt you would have a fuel psi issue with an Airdog anyways unless it is one of the factory replacement ones, 100gph or more and you should be good. Low fuel psi even at idle would not have your idle symptoms, the fuel psi is just for the injection pump to live unless it super low like less than 5psi. You really do want to have a fuel psi gauge anyways on a VP44 since they are lubricated and cooled by fuel. I was under the impression that you got a writeup of at least where the opening pressures were set at, maybe only if you asked them to be set at a certain opening pressure.
It's a 100gph one. It came with the truck when I bought it. Looks pretty ruff looking. Could my injection pump be the issue? My truck rarely smokes and If I try its more of a whiter color if anything just a haze.

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
It's possible if the lift pump was installed after the pump took some damage. Any smoke with the quad turned off? If not then yeah likely the pump or you have coolant getting into the cylinders(head gasket), if not the you need to mess with the tuning on the Quad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's possible if the lift pump was installed after the pump took some damage. Any smoke with the quad turned off? If not then yeah likely the pump or you have coolant getting into the cylinders(head gasket), if not the you need to mess with the tuning on the Quad.
I took the Quadzilla Fully Off when I put in the injectors. Still the Stall Issue but 0 smoke. I installed the Quadzilla and Sometimes itll smoke but very rarley. Sometimes I see a small haze of white or its just a small mist of smoke. Pretty much near impossible on any custom tune to make the truck smoke as well. You thinking its the injection pump or the lift pump?

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
The Quad runs very clean. Much cleaner than other wire tapping boxes. Unless you don"t notice a difference with wire tap levels than the connection could be poor. To be able to discern if VP44 or lift pump is bad you need a fuel psi gauge. If it doesn't get low then yes points to VP44, if not then at least the lift pump is bad and possibly the VP44.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Quad runs very clean. Much cleaner than other wire tapping boxes. Unless you don"t notice a difference with wire tap levels than the connection could be poor. To be able to discern if VP44 or lift pump is bad you need a fuel psi gauge. If it doesn't get low then yes points to VP44, if not then at least the lift pump is bad and possibly the VP44.
Ok Thanks. Honestly might go ahead and Buy a new Lift Pump anyways. The thing looks like it went through some things. If that isn't the Fix Ill go ahead and Purchase a new VP44. What VP44 Would you Consider with a Wire Tap and 150HP Injectors?

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
I like DAP. Hot rods VP's are a waste especially with a wire tapping box, go with an SO 027 pump. They sell a few different VP44's depending on how much you want to spend. If you can verify your fuel psi is good(preferably with a full time gauge) then I would go with the middle option.

Remanufactured computer and reman housing, 1 year warranty/wire tap voids warranty

New computer/electronics and new housing, 2 year warranty/wire tap voids warranty

New computer/housing/1 warranty w/wire tap

Reactions: jkidd

·
Vendor
8,746 Posts
Thank you for your purchase. An off idle stall, especially in reverse, is common with 1. bigger injectors and slightly 2. raised pop pressure 3. Especially a tight torque converter. Even stock RV275 can do this. Pop pressure on the injectors is set to Bosch spec 300-315BAR. On the bag that the injectors were shipped in it will have a sticker with the pop off pressure written on it. Pop pressure will reduce a little over time.

1, Get gauges for fuel pressure (Quadzilla FPSENS)
2. Run some fuel conditioner, stanadyne, rev x etc. for a tank or 2 and see if it helps.
3. Send the injectors back in and we can reduce the pop pressure.

I recommend the 2 year pump with the new PSG

Correction....
REMAN COMPUTER/housing/1 warranty w/wire tap

www.dieselautopower.com

Bosch 027 VP44 Fuel Injection Pump Standard Output (235HP) Wire Tap OK 1 Year Warranty
Check out the deal on Bosch 027 VP44 Fuel Injection Pump Standard Output (235HP) Wire Tap OK 1 Year Warranty at Diesel Auto Power
www.dieselautopower.com

·
Registered
1999 Dodge Ram 2500
143 Posts
did you install the copper washers before you put in the injectors? if you didn’t that could explain why it’s doing that

1 - 19 of 19 Posts