Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
truck is a 2006 5.9 with 169,000 on it. 6 speed, intake, exhaust, dual clutch, head studs, and smarty touch. My injector balance rates were showing cylinder 3 to be +4 so i thought okay new injector after checking lines wiring ect. I was having like a skip out my exhaust when idling and occasional crank fire two more cranks then start. Ordered a brand new bosch injector from DAP and connector tube. Installed it in cylinder 3, started the truck, balance rate still at +4 on 3. Took it back apart put the new injector in cylinder 4 and took injector 4 to cylinder 3. started the truck now cylinder 6 balance rate on the smarty is anywhere from +3.5- +4. any help would be great. It has a new gasket with the wiring for the injectors. Truck starts right up seems to be running good. absolutely no blow by, no diesel in the oil. only thing i could say i notice is when you tach it up in neutral to maybe 1500 it has a slight shake. could it be from having one brand new injector its making up the difference for the older ones. I'm getting a whole brand new set at the end of the month, but quickly wanted to replace a possible bad one because i read nothing but horror stories about melting pistons. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The cylinder #’s are according to firing order- 1-5-3-6-2-4. So you moved the problem from “3” (which is what we would think of as 3 coincidentally) to “6” (actually 4th from the front but 6 in the firing order).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cylinder #’s are according to firing order- 1-5-3-6-2-4. So you moved the problem from “3” (which is what we would think of as 3 coincidentally) to “6” (actually 4th from the front but 6 in the firing order).

So that means I have a problem with a brand new injector sticking open then?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
So that means I have a problem with a brand new injector sticking open then?
Something going on there. I’m not so sure it’s sticking open. Any smoke? You said it starts well. I was thinking more a solenoid issue.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Something going on there. I’m not so sure it’s sticking open. Any smoke? You said it starts well. I was thinking more a solenoid issue.

Starts fine but the new injector balance rate goes right to +4 and as I stated above it followed the new injector. I’m sending it back to DAP today. No smoke at all out the exhaust.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts