Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

new HID's are too bright, what now

4402 38
okay ive got the chrome one piece housings, not projectors, and i just installed an 8000k HID kit tonight and they are soooo bright i feel like a dick driving down the road. And i never thought that would happen in a million years. Anybody else have this problem? what did you do about it? The housings dont have adjuster screws, so whats the best way to adjust them, and will it even make a difference? right now they are aimed pretty much level, but the truck sits up kinda high and it is just perfect enough to light up the inside of everyones cars like they got a flare in the back seat. I love the lights, i dont wanna take them out, so what can i do to make them a little more friendly to other drivers? thanks
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
1,980 Posts
okay ive got the chrome one piece housings, not projectors, and i just installed an 8000k HID kit tonight and they are soooo bright i feel like a dick driving down the road. And i never thought that would happen in a million years. Anybody else have this problem? what did you do about it? The housings dont have adjuster screws, so whats the best way to adjust them, and will it even make a difference? right now they are aimed pretty much level, but the truck sits up kinda high and it is just perfect enough to light up the inside of everyones cars like they got a flare in the back seat. I love the lights, i dont wanna take them out, so what can i do to make them a little more friendly to other drivers? thanks
the sad part is with most large trucks especially with a lift your gonna shine at head shot level on many drivers.
you can read my many many posts of why what you did was just a bad move all together.

as far as adjusting the light well you could stick a few washers in on the top mounting bolt to angle them down some. however this wont do jack for the 45* glare shot you are probably producing. If you want to be a real MR NICE GUY do everyone a favor and do a projector retrofit on those suckers. if you get a bi-xenon projector you will have a real high beam again too.

· Registered
957 Posts
Mine were doing the same thing, lucky for me I have the two piece sport style lights so I just keep playing with the adjustment until was not getting flashed as much anymore but still have tons to light output!

· Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
as far as adjusting the light well you could stick a few washers in on the top mounting bolt to angle them down some. however this wont do jack for the 45* glare shot you are probably producing. If you want to be a real MR NICE GUY do everyone a favor and do a projector retrofit on those suckers. if you get a bi-xenon projector you will have a real high beam again too.
im gunna try the washer thing, and i wanted to do projectors but couldnt find any that didnt have two seperate bulbs and mine isnt a sport so i only have one bulb.... what about this bi-xenon thing? sounds like it could be the ticket

· Registered
405 Posts
about your "to bright HIDs"

seriously, this sounds stupid..but my brother in law has done it to his excursion headlamps that have HIDs with clear lenses. (Have someone who knows how to paint for a living,(w/ a paint gun) mix black with a clearcoat and tint the lamps in stages til desired darkness. wet sand and buff. wallaaa. send PM for pics if need

· Registered
405 Posts
ive purchased an 85.00$ HID kit from ebay.plug in replacement kit with bulbs ballest yadda yadda. am i in for troubles? i have stock lamps.

· Diesel South
1,509 Posts
do you have ebay clear one piece lights? if so they do have an adjuster but it moves the whole inner chrome housing, it is a screw in the backside of the headlight, the only porblem is you have to pull the housing the adjust it! it only takes a few minutes to make adjustments though! at least mine does!

· Registered
5,648 Posts
I have the same one piece headlight assy's, at first glance they look like they cannot be adjusted, but there is a star wheel in the back that is hard to turn but it does adjust them, I can reach up in behind the wheelwell and use my thumb to adjust the head light

Reactions: MrNiceGuy

· Diesel South
1,509 Posts
I have the same one piece headlight assy's, at first glance they look like they cannot be adjusted, but there is a star wheel in the back that is hard to turn but it does adjust them, I can reach up in behind the wheelwell and use my thumb to adjust the head light
thats what I am talking about!:thumbsup:

· Registered
1,980 Posts
ive purchased an 85.00$ HID kit from ebay.plug in replacement kit with bulbs ballest yadda yadda. am i in for troubles? i have stock lamps.
yea stock headlamp assemblies are horrible with hids. it may look brighter on the road but you will blind others and the light output is pathetic compared to OEM HID assembly, thats why I encourage to do a retrofit.

· Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys... i do have the ones from ebay so tomorrow i will try to get in there and see if mine are adjustable as well.

when you say reach up behind the wheel well, do you mean with the inner fender liner removed? or can you get to it without taking any stuff apart? thanks again.

· Registered
1,980 Posts
thanks guys... i do have the ones from ebay so tomorrow i will try to get in there and see if mine are adjustable as well.

when you say reach up behind the wheel well, do you mean with the inner fender liner removed? or can you get to it without taking any stuff apart? thanks again.
as I said stand off to the side from 45 - 90 * thats where you will piss people off at.

in a projector the beam alters color in that range and causes the light to lessen.

· Horse Power JUNKIE
1,656 Posts
I've been getting flashed too with my new 6k HIDs and new housing, I think if I get them pointed down a little more people will be happy.

· Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i adjusted mine yesterday with the screws on the back side of the housing and havnt been flashed since.

· Registered
861 Posts
l was gona get some then l decided it wasnt in my best interest to blind someone driveing a 4k vehicle comeing towards me on same road so will stick with stock...will add if needbe but not as my daily drivers light

· Registered
180 Posts
Pretty risky driving around with these lights installed in housings that weren't designed for them. The HID's are sooo intense very well could cause an accident. I put mine in a projector housing cuts them off at about the bottom of most cars back window even if I'm stopped behind them. Thinking of doing a retrofit and getting some projectors in there made specifically for HID bulbs to get the most out of them "these help alot though".:confused013:

· Registered
166 Posts
I don't have these lights and will most likely never have them. From the perspective of the guy in front of these lights, as I have been and the guy with the 10k truck coming towards you with these lights.....I can tell ya, those suckers are to darn bright!! Dear God, felt like the sun was rising when I was in my little car and the dude in the chevy was tailgating me with his jacked up duracrack, then passing me blinds the heck out of ya with the light blasting off your side mirror. Had another one coming at me in my, as before mentioned 10k truck and tried everything to ease my suffering.....other than putting my 45 to my head. I looked at the white line on the side of the road, just ended up slowing down cussing the sob wondering wtf was wrong with there eyes that they needed to mount a quasar to the front of the truck in order to see.

I applaud you Mr. Niceguy for at least having the common courtesy to consider other folks that have to travel the same roads as you at least. :worthy:

· Diesel Filled Veins!
5,772 Posts
I don't know why people feel they have to have such bright lights in the stock location. Use a set of aftermarkets mounted to the bumper and wired to the high beam switch.

GoneWelding: friggin' hilarious! "wtf was wrong with their eyes that they needed to mount a quasar to the front of the truck in order to see." LMFAO!!!!!

I hate blinding lights as well. Buddy at work just bragged about getting HID's in his truck (stock reflectors) and I told him that's all wrong and you'll blind people, he didn't care.

· Registered
405 Posts
off subject

lol sorry guys, just wondering cause i just bought 20x10wheels and 305/55/20 terragrapplers...i wanted to see how you fit 35's mrniceguy is it stuffed?? w/ level kit. goodluck with the HIDs man:thumbsup:looks like a NIIICE truck! id like to see more pics

· Registered
405 Posts
i do agree with the blinding factor, have to be considerate about the people sharing the roads as well..will the stock housings be to bright with the HID ballest and bulb set i purchased??

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.