Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i might be trading my 06 dmax for an o6 cummins with a 6speed with dual disk clutch...
i have been lookin all over and i CAN NOT find what i'm lookin for.

my question is, what can the stock cp3 hold on these truck as well as turbo? what turbo will the 06 have on it?
also what's the best programmer for these trucks, i have efi live on my dmax and just wonderin about cummins.
and if i get head studs, and air dog II 165, what can i expect hp wise with stock turbo and cp3?

thanks, i couldn't find it anywhere and i know how annoying it can be when the info is already on here, i just can't find it.

thanks!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Buy a smarty. As far as hp it depends on a lot of factors. But with a bag of parts and smarty and airdog I would think you could hit 500 pretty easy, but reliable is always the key in my opinion. And with a stock turbo at the limits you could see high egts. Especially with bigger sticks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buy a smarty. As far as hp it depends on a lot of factors. But with a bag of parts and smarty and airdog I would think you could hit 500 pretty easy, but reliable is always the key in my opinion. And with a stock turbo at the limits you could see high egts. Especially with bigger sticks.
what turbo do you recommend? i want the truck to last also, so is head studs and airdog good for longetivity in your opinion? 500hp is my mark btw.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Any 62/xx/12 or 13 will make 500 or the BD super special B (which I believe is good to about 600hp) call Garrett Shields or Joe from Pure Diesel Power! They are awesome guys to work with and very knowledgeable. Schieds or II are also great to deal with. But I choose Garrett because his shop is 25 minutes from me and I trust him and Joe more than anyone I've been to

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
06 Cummins don't need studs till you start pushing around 50 psi of boost.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yeah I forgot to mention that! Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what sticks can i run without pushing the cp3 too far or draining the fuel rail?
okay so with the smarty, turbo, airdog, and sticks will get me to 500?
also will the 62 turbos not push 50? so won't i need head studs? thanks guys i'm just good with the dmax stuff not cummins lol.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
also what do i need to look out for on the 06 model? will injectors go bad, lift pumps? any help will be appreciated.

·
04.5 build up
734 Posts
The arson stage 3 cp3 kit can hold 90 sticks. A 62 can hit 50lbs just wont hold it and my cause some damage to it lol

·
Registered
64 Posts
U will be outta the map after 50 or so on a S3 based charger. I would stud it for peace of mind if u plan to beat on it daily. I would do a smarty, studs, 90's, 62 style unit plenty to choose from and see what the stock CP3 does. If it wont hang then upgrade.
Brandon

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alright thanks guys, anythin i need to do as a must on these trucks?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Not really these CR motors get there bad rap from joe blow stacking boxes and they keep cranking timing when doing this u see a decrease in EGT's that is due to the fact the crown and bowl of the piston is soaking up the heat soon after u have a torch effect in the combustion chamber which causes 1 type of a meltdown not the only kind but that and pressure cracking tips and bodies filling the crankcase with diesel. 600 series 04.5 up are more apt due to the fact of the re-entrant pistons. If u have common sense u will be happy with your truck.
Brandon

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i mean all i want to be at is 450-500 horsepower, but be relaible at the same time. i think the double disk will hold that power pretty good. i think i'll get gauges, smarty, airdog, head studs, turbo and 90's.

will that get me there and be reliable? and i'll just do the cp3 if needed i guess.
and dang i don't want no melt downs!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That will deff get u there and be reliable!
Brandon
thanks for your help man, and on these injectors, do i get 90 tips? or get the whole injector? big price difference you know?
on my dmax i have to get the whole thing, i can't do just tips.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I pretty much agree with Brandon!! ^^^^^^^^ 50psi is going to turn that turbo into an expensive drag grenade that isn't fun to play with like the real ones

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
but for what i have planned it'll be good?
also just to start out what if i got the gauges, smarty and airdog but don't push the turbo too hard.
would that be okay for awhile until i can do turbo and head studs?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just get the tips. And gauges are a must. Just leave the waste gate setting on with the smarty and watch the egts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
alright, how hard are the tips to install? or am i better off just getting someone to do it?

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
tips are pretty easy to do, make sure you have a good torque wrench and you'll be fine. as for the cp3, mine holds 25.5k psi WOT with 90 hp sticks, so do like i did and get a rp gauge before you upgrade the cp3. next for me is a lift pump pressure gauge to see if i need an upgrade for that.

i would run the truck with stock tips first, then maybe get the tips with your new turbo.
a buddy of mine put down 518 with stock turbo, and stock tips on his 04.5+. so start off slow, upgrade wisely and enjoy the truck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts