Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay i have a 91 that i just put a new head gasket in, i put it all togethor and it wont start. Ive bleed the injectors so many times i cant remember, it sounds weird when starting with whiteish smoke. I did get it to start one time and ran rough as hell. I seem to think i have the valves wrong and cant figure it out with the book. Someone please help. i think i burnt my starter up to it just dont sound right when turning over. I have read about valve adjustments so many times i cant stand it. Guess i should give up and send it to a shop

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
okay she fireed up:party018:but now it bellows white smoke with no throttle power and lifters sound loud as hell:confused013:

·
Premium Member
20,477 Posts
Make sure your fuel shut off solenoid is working. Best way to test is unhook wire turn key on and touch wire to solenoid you should hear a click. Make sure terminal is tight. If you take the bleeder screw out and prime the lift pump do you get a good spray out with no air in the fuel?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Well if the lifters are loud as hell you've obviously don't have a good handle on the adjustment procedure. You likely have some tight if you have some that loose.

Go back and reread the procedure and follow it to the t.

It's the only way you'll learn.

Steve g

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
would that cause the whits smoke and no power, Could the valves be that far out of wack. It ran fine before i started the head gasket job

·
Premium Member
20,477 Posts
If you have a valve hanging open it's not going to get air to make the fuel burn. A cummins is not real noisey if the lifters are adjusted correctly.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well its back to the valves again,is there another way to find tdc without using that pin.I think mine has been broke off and doesnt seem to hit the mark

·
Premium Member
20,477 Posts
You could pull the pin out and use a pick or something about the size of the end on the pin. After you get it located put a paint mark on your balancer and cover so you won't have to use the pin.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
If you were not so far away I would come help you. I had to push my timing pin with a pry bar to get it to move it was kind've a trick to pull the pry bar and turn the engine over at the same time. If you timing pin is broke then taking it out and using a ball point pin, pencil or wooden dowel would be a good idea just be carful not to snap that off in your engine.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
For a good approximation of tdc compression on number 1 (more than adequate for valve adjustment) watch the valves on #6 has you turn the engine in the normal direction of rotation. When you see the valves "rocking", the exhaust just closing and intake just opening, the centre of that action will be tdc of compression stroke on cyl 1.

Steve g

1 - 11 of 11 Posts