Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't bought a Ram yet, but i've been considering them. I plan on starting a transportation business and lately i've been leaning towards a Cummins powered 3500 DRW. I've been looking at the 03-07 for the 5.9 as i've driven quite a few of them. I have never touched one with the 6.7 in it. In the beginning I was more interested in an 08 F450 for the 24,000# towing capacity. After getting the full service history on it after 35k miles being 5 pages long and some major issues, I have decided to look at the "dark side". I have always been a Ford man but the 6.4 is too flawed to try and keep a steady business going. Sorry for rambling, onto the point: I'm more interested in 03-07 5.9 Ram 3500's Duallys. I am open minded and may consider the 6.7 with some persuasion. I'm looking for any quirks these trucks may have and if they have any major mechanical flaws. I know the transmissions are a weak link but that's all I really know about them. How much can they tow with a 5th wheel/gooseneck setup and what kind of mpg's can I expect? Thanks for the help in advance!

·
Registered
337 Posts
I haven't bought a Ram yet, but i've been considering them. I plan on starting a transportation business and lately i've been leaning towards a Cummins powered 3500 DRW. I've been looking at the 03-07 for the 5.9 as i've driven quite a few of them. I have never touched one with the 6.7 in it. In the beginning I was more interested in an 08 F450 for the 24,000# towing capacity. After getting the full service history on it after 35k miles being 5 pages long and some major issues, I have decided to look at the "dark side". I have always been a Ford man but the 6.4 is too flawed to try and keep a steady business going. Sorry for rambling, onto the point: I'm more interested in 03-07 5.9 Ram 3500's Duallys. I am open minded and may consider the 6.7 with some persuasion. I'm looking for any quirks these trucks may have and if they have any major mechanical flaws. I know the transmissions are a weak link but that's all I really know about them. How much can they tow with a 5th wheel/gooseneck setup and what kind of mpg's can I expect? Thanks for the help in advance!

Not to Bash ya, but no one has replied prolly cause if you searched the forums, this has been discussed alot and no one want to repeat what has already been posted. Otherwise the forum would be full of repeat answers.

Thats just my reasoning though.

Simply put, how many big Rig Tractors are there over the road that have V8 diesels in them?

Now ask haow many have a cummings/cat/det a and they are all inline 6's too

·
Master of Mayhem NASFIG
8,808 Posts
gross out at 34k or so with nothing on my 40ft i get about 10 to 12. loaded it goes from 10 to 6. i run the lower g56 od ratio and am a 4x4. if your gonna do it and not play around get something like a fl 70 or 80 so you can have a sleeper. you cant log sleeper time per dot regs in a pick up

1 - 5 of 5 Posts