Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, nice forum! I've been searching Google for an issue im dealing with, and found this forum, Thought maybe you guys could lend me a hand!

My brother Is in the Navy. He just got stationed closer to home and im helping him while he does not have the internet yet (still settling in)

He traded in his little sports car last month for an 03 dodge 3500 laramie QC/SB

The truck he bought is NOT stock. it has an insane amount of aftermarket, Road armor bumpers F&R, small lift with 35" tires/remote start full alarm, Optima redtops, CB and amp/ crazy sound system, $1500 in PIAA lights (16 total) etc etc etc

It also has a range of performance upgrades.
We have established it has a B&D twin turbo Kit, and the exhaust looks like its been upgraded to 4-5"

It has an Edge attitude juice system,
after having a tranny service done, we believe it has a Transgo Shift kit
and it has an extra large mag-hytec Tranny pan. (IIRC 24qts?)

alright, now that i have explained a bit about the truck, here is the problem, From day one the fuel pump seemed extremely loud. it could be heard over the engine at idle. And it seems today it suddenly has gone quiet and the truck is hardly driveable. I have no idea if the pump has been upgraded.. But i would think with the aftermarket it has, It might NEED a larger pump?

Can anyone give me some pointers? :S:

·
Master of Mayhem NASFIG
8,808 Posts
sounds like it mite have gone out.if it has the upgrade factory pump then its in the tank those dont go out to often. if not then its behind the fuel filter and those go out often look behind the filter and see what you find. if it is that one air dog makes a pretty good one along with a 2 micron filtering system that will save your injectors

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He cannot find a pump in the fuel line. He says he traced from under the hood back to the tank. Where is the stock fuel filter located?

He needs to have the truck back on the road by thursday morning. so the Airdog system (or any other online upgrade) has to wait for now, Would it be a bad idea to buy an OEM in the tank pump? So far he found one at a parts store for $205. but i've warned him that my experience with Mopar products has been to stick with Mopar parts. (I have a Grand cherokee 5.9. that loves its fuel/electrical issues)

We'r not sure what it has in it. I have to drive 200miles to bring him tools weds. so we are hoping to get this fixed weds. doing as much research now as i can!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Have you checked it for codes using the ignition key? Turn the key on and off 3 times, do not engage the starter. On the third cycle, leave the key on. Watch your odometer. If you have codes present, they will display. Check back with the code numbers,if any.

The 03 and 04s originally have cannister mounted fuel pumps. This cannister is where the fuel filter is located within the engine compartment (drivers side). You will see a yellow water relief valve at the bottom of this silver colored cannister. Best way to see it is looking up from underneath the drivers side wheel well.

If you want to replace the stock lift pump,Genos carries a direct replacement for the cannister mounted pump that is cost effective. I have attached the link. This would be the easiest to install as it is a one for one replacement.

REPLACEMENT FUEL TRANSFER PUMP ('03-'04.5) DODGE-Dodge Cummins Diesel Truck Accessories – Geno’s Garage

Reactions: cmnttd

·
Registered
10 Posts
He cannot find a pump in the fuel line. He says he traced from under the hood back to the tank. Where is the stock fuel filter located?

He needs to have the truck back on the road by thursday morning. so the Airdog system (or any other online upgrade) has to wait for now, Would it be a bad idea to buy an OEM in the tank pump? So far he found one at a parts store for $205. but i've warned him that my experience with Mopar products has been to stick with Mopar parts. (I have a Grand cherokee 5.9. that loves its fuel/electrical issues)

We'r not sure what it has in it. I have to drive 200miles to bring him tools weds. so we are hoping to get this fixed weds. doing as much research now as i can!
I had the fuel pump in my tank go out. All it takes is a few min. at a service shop and they can tell you if its going out or not. My suggestion is to go with a aftermarket supply pump. Air dog has a lifetime warrenty on them. Everyone I have talked to has told me to go with them. That is what I went with and I couldn't be happier

·
Registered
336 Posts
If it has the factory pump I thank that the only place to get one is at GENO'S less than 200.00 with shiping PH-800-755-1715 === GOOD LUCK ===

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so the stock Lift pump was under the hood? Im leaning towards it being an Intank pump, Because the pump it has was extremely loud, and the noise was coming from behind the cab.

·
Registered
10 Posts
so the stock Lift pump was under the hood? Im leaning towards it being an Intank pump, Because the pump it has was extremely loud, and the noise was coming from behind the cab.
The stock lift pump in in the fuel tank. If a stock lift pump was extremely loud and then it went quiet, that means that if probably went out. I would take it to a mechanic and have them take a look at it. When mine went out, they bypassed the stock lift pump and mounted the air dog on my frame. Have them read your lift pump fuel pressure. And make sure that they take it on a test drive while they are reading it

·
Registered
476 Posts
Scot...follow along here in my explanation:

1) the STOCK location for the fuel pump on an 03 Ram is on the fuel canister. The fuel canister is located on the left side (drivers) of the engine toward the rear and its down low. If you look at the backside of the fuel canister and don't see a black cylinder attached then the stock pump that came with your truck was replaced. If the black cylinder is there then you are in luck. Replacements are sold by "Geno's Garage" and also by "Carter", a national company that makes many fuel parts and systems. Dodge does NOT make the stock pump now, see next.

2) Dodge changed the location of the fuel pump in late 04 to being located in the fuel tank itself. I mention this because if an 03 or early 04 truck needed a fuel pump and the work was done by a Dodge dealer the fuel pump would be changed to the new one that was in the tank, the old type pump not being produced anymore. Since you have a used truck the prior owner may have had the pump replaced and that is why you checked behind the fuel canister as mentioned in #1 above.

3) Since you describe the truck as having many aftermarket parts added there is a good possibility the prior owner added a high performance fuel pump. One was mentioned above callled an "Air Dog". There are others but most of them will be installed in the same manner. Check the frame rail under the truck on the drivers side between the fuel tank and the engine. If you have one of these performance pumps it will most likely be located there.

So if there is no fuel pump on the backside of the canister then the truck has either an in-tank pump or an aftermarket pump like the Airdog. If you do the steps above you should be able to determine which one it is. Hope this helps.....good luck in helping your brother.

·
Registered
76 Posts
hello all i am the brother/owner of the truck! finally got internet.

well come to find out after buying a mopar in-tank pump, there is a fass hpfp installed that i missed some how!

i have searched this pump and it seems it has a lifetime warranty. the only problem is i dont know what gph output it is? i do have the serial number!

i found fassashley on the forum and sent her a PM giving her the serial number! I just wanted to say thanks all for the help!

Reactions: NW-XJ-SCOTT

·
Registered
336 Posts
The stock lift pump in in the fuel tank. If a stock lift pump was extremely loud and then it went quiet, that means that if probably went out. I would take it to a mechanic and have them take a look at it. When mine went out, they bypassed the stock lift pump and mounted the air dog on my frame. Have them read your lift pump fuel pressure. And make sure that they take it on a test drive while they are reading it
The stock pump was beside the fuel filter on all 03-early 04.The 04.5 has in tank pump.

·
Registered
76 Posts
well got the new fass hpfp today and installed it but it seems as if its not working! it does not make any noise and does not feel like it is working! i am to afraid to test drive because i have heard if the pump is not working it can screw up the injector pump?

does anyone have a 95 gph fass hpfp? or does anyone know if they make noise at all?
my old one was very loud!

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Sounds like you may have a wiring issue then. The FASS runs off of the factory power supply. Check the fuse box or trace the wiring and look for any chafing...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts