Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats goin on guys?

im in the market for a cummins diesel..im coming out of a hemi..its not goin to b my first diesel but my first CTD..i just have a question between the 5.9 and 6.7..which is better? in your opinion? power? reliability? etc.. just looking around theres a few on here that im interested in...anything will help......thanks for the help looking forward to b apart of this forum...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I guess it depends on what you are going to do with the truck. And how much money you want to spend. I have a 5.9 and like it, but some like the common rail on the 6.7. I would like to put an 8 liter in my truck but no funds for that.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I'd say that all Cummins are reliable if well maintained. Power just depends on how deep your pockets are....

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
I've owned both. Had a early 04 was great until I started putting power to it and not paying attention to what was going on. Ended up melting a piston in it. Traded truck after repair on a 6.7. It was harder on fuel and the pump was leaking when I bought it. So it was replaced under warranty. Couple months latter exhaust filter and sensor started giving me problems. Again warranty stepped in and it got fixed. Then couple weeks after that pump started leaking again. Started looking into what the maintance items costed and decided to get rid of it for my truck. I know every truck is differant but that was what I went through. 5.9 are a little cheaper to run (mileage,maintance). It all comes down to what you want. If you live in a area that does emission testing then a 6.7 might be a better fit of you.

·
Registered
509 Posts
:stirpot: well your questions will get 1 million different answers.

as far as reliability the 5.9 hands down is WELL know for its reliability. the 6.7 has too much emissions junk.

i would purchase a 04.5 and up with the HO motor,

i made the choice of the 05 b/c was the last year of that body style and interior design dash and cloth, newer trucks has cheap looking seats in my opinion.. and the 05 model is the first year of the intank lift pump.

try to find one low mileage one owner with maint. records if you can. i purchased mine 2nd hand after i purchased ( had 49k miles) went straight to dodge dealer and paid the $150 warranty transfer fee. made my engine warranty 7 year 100k and transfered the powertrain warranty over to me as well..

good luck on your hunt and welcome to the forum.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
124 Posts
if you want proven reliability, performance and power, the 5.9 is the way to go. if you want something you have to take a bunch of (in my opinion) junk off of to make power like it should, go with the 6.7L. i work on the cummins ISX day in and day out, and 90% of the issues with these awesome engines is the dpf and now the scr systems. i love my 06 5.9 common rail, but i have the programming to make it bark when the time is right. good luck with the search...

·
Registered
124 Posts
if you want proven reliability, performance and power, the 5.9 is the way to go. if you want something you have to take a bunch of (in my opinion) junk off of to make power like it should, go with the 6.7L. i work on the cummins ISX day in and day out, and 90% of the issues with these awesome engines is the dpf and now the scr systems. i love my 06 5.9 common rail, but i have the programming to make it bark when the time is right. good luck with the search...

·
Registered
493 Posts
Welcome to CF! I have also owned both 5.9's and the 6.7.

I sold my 09 6.7 because the longer I drove it the more I wanted to start modding it. I just COULD NOT bring myself to void the warranty on a brand new 12k mile truck. Soo, I sold it and bought an 05. As mentioned before they are all great trucks.

The 6.7 makes big power, is just as reliable but you gotta be willing to throw down and do all the deletes etc.

The "Search" option on the forum will do wonders for answering your questions.

·
Registered
124 Posts
:cbadge2:if you want proven reliability, performance and power, the 5.9 is the way to go. if you want something you have to take a bunch of (in my opinion) junk off of to make power like it should, go with the 6.7L. i work on the cummins ISX day in and day out, and 90% of the issues with these awesome engines is the dpf and now the scr systems. i love my 06 5.9 common rail, but i have the programming to make it bark when the time is right. good luck with the search...

·
Registered
124 Posts
sorry for the repeats... computer is acting a fool...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
thanks guys...yea im not looking to go all out just minor stuff intake exhaust etc...mayb lift and tires...i do some towing but nothing my 1500 couldnt handle....but i have been hearing the 5.9 has been really reliable..right now thats what i been looking for a 2006 qcsb

1 - 11 of 11 Posts