Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm and older guy, 57. I bought my first ever diesel. I read a lot here before buying and have read a lot since too. I'm no stranger to the good old American V8, but I must confess, this diesel thing is all new to me. Millions of questions... All in good time. For now, an introduction.

I've been saving money for a while now with the intent to buy a newer (gas) truck. In the end I just couldn't bring myself to write the check for a truck that cost almost what my first house cost. So, I started looking at older trucks, and got bit by the diesel bug. I love to learn new things and tinker. This truck will surely fill the bill in those regards.

I answered a Craigslist ad by a private seller and bought this 2002 4x4 2500 Laramie. 201K on the clock and never been hot rodded, I don't think. In fact, it looks like the truck has lead a pretty easy life. The seller used it to tow one jet ski on a trailer... The previous owner to him reported towing nothing.

New tranny (rebuild - stock) at 144k, lots of new front end parts, recent tranny service, valves adjusted, and new injectors (Bosch rebuids) at 196k. Leveling kit up front, Icon shocks, Fox stabalizer, and nice stereo with a sub and amp added to the Infinity (stock) system. I'm sure I'm forgetting some things. I have all the receipts. Oh yeah, and a Leer fiberglass top with color match.

Finally, someone painted the stock rims black. I spent the day stripping that paint today. Got two done, will do the other two tomorrow.

Now the pics;

If you have made it this far, maybe you can answer a question. What is this?

Well thanks for looking. I'll be in the shadows here reading up on this new adventure...

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Welcome! Nice looking truck. Lots of very knowledgeable people here that can help with any questions you may have. I don't recognize your mystery plug, but someone else surely will.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Nice truck. Interior pix.

Reactions: Mr. Square

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thnx for all the replies... As I stated I wanted to remove the black paint from the stock rims. I did two yesterday and two more this morning.

Tell me which looks better. To me, it's the aluminum. Of course the paint stripper took off the clear coat as well. I guess I'll just keep them waxed like we did in the old days.

I bought the old stand by, Jasco paint stripper. I also bought this Goof off Graffiti remover. I quickly ditched the Jasco. The Goof Off worked much better for this application.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Personally, with the chrome bumper and the two tone with the silver, I like it with the polished rims better.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I'm thinking the same.
I have bought 35x12.50x17 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT tires for it. Currently (in the pics) tires are 285/70/17 so roughly 33x11.50

I think these tires will give just the look I'm after. I have an appointment to have them installed in two weeks. Seriously: Two weeks? Part of the world we live in now days...

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
Welcome Mr. Square, lots of great info & members on here. You're right about the cost of new trucks, they're up there $$ :oops:. You might want to check/change-out the various filters & fluids i.e. diffs, trans,etc., so you have a (new to you) starting point. I'm liking the what you did to the rims better than the black too. Enjoy your Cummins & the truck it came with,lol.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Polished rims for sure. Welcome to the Diesel world! I am new as well and have been following this from Cummins hub as far as maintenance schedule for mine since other than what was on CarFax, I don’t know what was done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome Mr. Square, lots of great info & members on here. You're right about the cost of new trucks, they're up there $$ :oops:. You might want to check/change-out the various filters & fluids i.e. diffs, trans,etc., so you have a (new to you) starting point. I'm liking the what you did to the rims better than the black too. Enjoy your Cummins & the truck it came with,lol.
Excellent, idea and that is at the top of my to do list. I suspect that I won't drive the truck too much really. It's just a toy and a hardware store/lumberyard mule. I will drive it to work on Fridays just to make sure everything stays in top shape.

In the end I doubt I'll put several thousand miles a year on it. That means fluid/filter changes will probably be an annual event.

Polished rims for sure. Welcome to the Diesel world! I am new as well and have been following this from Cummins hub as far as maintenance schedule for mine since other than what was on CarFax, I don’t know what was done.

Thnx for the welcome. What a great website. Thank you for sharing that, I hadn't seen it. I made sure to bookmark that for future reference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts