Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, last may I bought my first diesel a 2007 5.9 cummins very nice truck , when I bought it I didn't know allot about diesels so I found this site and have been lurking for awhile.I purchased it with a edge juice with attitude a air dog 150 lift pump k&n CAI ,4" turbo back straight pipe looks like a 5 inch lift on it. I bought it from a dealer in Zanesville ohio so they didn't know much more than I did as far as transmission upgrades injectors ect. After allot of reading over the months I've decided to build it up as a DD 500 HP or so. I'm not sure what hp I'm laying down now but it's not enough lol. I've decided to. Build my transmission first a good single disk TC New clutch alto mega kit valve body input and output shift as I want to be able to do boosted launches I want this thing to rip. I figured with my parts list I have a good 62 turbo (open to suggestions) 100hp injector nozzles cp3 upgrade I can accomplish my goal of a fun quick truck that is reliable. My problem is.........I'm not a mechanic I have always wanted to be and want to do it, I have ideas I want to dig in and learn after reading all these stickys but it's a bit intimidating when you've never done this before......Am I in over my head trying to do this on my own? As a rookie I guess we all have to start somewhere

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi all, last may I bought my first diesel a 2007 5.9 cummins very nice truck , when I bought it I didn't know allot about diesels so I found this site and have been lurking for awhile.I purchased it with a edge juice with attitude a air dog 150 lift pump k&n CAI ,4" turbo back straight pipe looks like a 5 inch lift on it. I bought it from a dealer in Zanesville ohio so they didn't know much more than I did as far as transmission upgrades injectors ect. After allot of reading over the months I've decided to build it up as a DD 500 HP or so. I'm not sure what hp I'm laying down now but it's not enough lol. I've decided to. Build my transmission first a good single disk TC New clutch alto mega kit valve body input and output shift as I want to be able to do boosted launches I want this thing to rip. I figured with my parts list I have a good 62 turbo (open to suggestions) 100hp injector nozzles cp3 upgrade I can accomplish my goal of a fun quick truck that is reliable. My problem is.........I'm not a mechanic I have always wanted to be and want to do it, I have ideas I want to dig in and learn after reading all these stickys but it's a bit intimidating when you've never done this before......Am I in over my head trying to do this on my own? As a rookie I guess we all have to start somewhere
500hp is a easy goal to make. Upgraded CP isn't really necessary if your stock one is in good shape. Just with what you mentioned in upgrades on the truck, I would lose the edge, step up to a slightly bigger turbo and tune with efi live. Stock fuel can get you to 500hp. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with the build! :thumbsup:

Fill out your sig too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can I run the hot unlock on the edge can I accomplish the same results or does EFI I think I've read you can have it tuned to your goals . I liked what I've read about the Super B special as a turbo , just a question do most of you guys do a little at a time as in transmission save a month turbo save some more ect or is it all at once type of thing.

·
You do what your wallet can handle. Depending on what parts you're installing, it might be worth your while to wait on another part so you don't have to tear all the same stuff apart again and again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would think you could run the edge to your goals, edge just runs really hot. If you had a pre 06-07 I wouldn't be telling you to make the switch, but you have an advantage that most would love to have. EFI is tuned to your specific truck. Search efi live on here and see how many satisfied people are out there.

You build at the pace you want. Not everybody has the money to throw 5k at the truck in upgrades, myself included. Just do mods as you can afford them.

I would upgrade the valve body in your tranny

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
325 Posts
Can I run the hot unlock on the edge can I accomplish the same results or does EFI I think I've read you can have it tuned to your goals . I liked what I've read about the Super B special as a turbo , just a question do most of you guys do a little at a time as in transmission save a month turbo save some more ect or is it all at once type of thing.
Yes you can run the hot unlock, it won't be as great as efi but it will definitely get you to your goal. Just by throwing that super b special-64mm you should be at/over 500 easy. Make sure you have your trans first though. But if you want dd and towing and for sure know you want 500 not 700, thenthat 62 would be better suited for your 500hp goal.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
44 Posts
You can do all of that yourself in order to learn it you have to try it if you have any questions on any of it you are more that welcome to call me and I will walk you through any of it

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I want to be able to DD I have a little 4 banger to go to and from work but this is my baby still want to be able to head to the lake towing a little boat or what not. I really do appreciate the guidance I will do a search on EFI live and learn up on it. I'm not really a mechanic but like previously stated I want to try How did you guys handle the learning curve doing your own work? Heck I've never changed a turbo but I'm determined to learn how I don't want to be that guy that let someone else do all the work and I know nothing of my truck .....transmission I'll leave that to the pros lol

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Taylor you answered my question as i was typing llol thank you sir

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Transmission will be first I need to prepare for the power before adding it I've read both ways on this topic of fire ring or oring the head at that power some say do it some say don't but 625 ARP head studs will be installed

·
Registered
325 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good deal then

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Triple disk I was reading a sticky yesterday about transmission mods to power ratios so yes triple disk not single. I was also reading about dual and triple disk clutch but I should be okay with a good rebuild as I'm not towing super heavy stuff.

·
Registered
14,542 Posts
Wait wait is your truck an automatic or a manual? I assume auto correct. You dont need to worry about dual disk or triple disk clutch as those are for manual trans trucks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wait wait is your truck an automatic or a manual? I assume auto correct. You dont need to worry about dual disk or triple disk clutch as those are for manual trans trucks.
He beat me to it. I got confused. Haha

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
10 4 yes a auto

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I confused myself there I have allot to learn yet.

·
Registered
38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
I am proof that EFI , with trans. upgrades , will get you over 500hp with stock injectors , fuel system , and turbo . Yes , it is quick for a big truck . Good luck on which ever route you take . These trucks are a blast :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts