Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well, after puttin 182,000 miles on my stock trans, 100,000 with some SMARTY tuning, I finally got a fresh slush box built and installed.

Got my Goerends trans put in over the weekend. I drove up to a Goerend recommended installer. Got there about lunch time friday. He had the trans out and took apart by 4p.m., then we cleaned on the housing for another hour or so. Saturday I cleaned parts the whole time he was assembling. Man did a great job and the transmissions is awesome. I was back on the road Sunday at lunch as well. So about 2 days total. I helped where I could and just stayed out of the way the rest of the time.

Shifts great, does not jar you or anything. Should be the perfect transmission for me. Holds the Smarty on 9, with the 60h.p. Industrial Injectors VERY well..

Parts installed
ATS Billet Flexplate
Goerends Triple Disk Torque Converter
Goerends Valve Body
Sonnax One Piece Billet Input Shaft
PML Deep Trans Pan
Goerends Billet Internals that are reccomended by Dave, and highly recommended by Phil (installer)
Master Overhaul Kit with all orings, gaskets, and what knots.

I got a really good deal on the build and the guy pays VERY close attention to detail and tolerances.

If anyone lives in the Southeast, and would like his contact info, just send me a pm, and I will give it to you.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have an 06 common rail. I also have the 48re auto trans. rite now i have 104.xxx on the truck an about 4 of that is with a smarty. I want to rebuild as soon as possible so if you could i would like the guys info. thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pm sent to you SlickP

·
Registered
575 Posts
yes another PM requested im in process of doing a tranny update how much was all this

·
A Couple Diesels
3,099 Posts
goerend has great stuff- holds my hp no problem and many many many 1/4 mile passes

·
Registered
516 Posts
Yep love my Goerend trans as well, had it put in in Oct of last year and the following month had it the 1/8 mile track near me. The thing runs awesome, pulled 7 10 psi boosted passes that day, not one problem.

·
A Couple Diesels
3,099 Posts
20 psi launches with mine

·
Soot Sniffer
1,327 Posts
I agree with everyone here, the trans Dave built me is fantastic. If I'd have known how much better it was just for driveability, I'd have gotten one a lot sooner. Dave is an awesome guy too! He won't steer you wrong.

·
Registered
298 Posts
If anyone lives in the Southeast, and would like his contact info, just send me a pm, and I will give it to you.
Where did you get it installed?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry, forgot to post that he live just outside of Raleigh, North Carolina. I drove up from South Georgia, and it took me 7 hours.

Most people are like, wow... that is a long way to drive to get a trans done, but the way I look at it, is by the time I got home, break in period was over.

Now, I got to get back outside to change the rear driveshaft U-joints.. busted one last night.. good trans = finding weak components.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Broke the Drive shaft----:confused013: did you tell the wife:confused013::confused013:I don't know what happened:hehe::hehe:

Just glad you are enjoying it!!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no, not the drive shaft, the universal joint.. Took an act of congress to get the stock ones out. 183,000 miles on the stock ones. I am happy with that. haha

Oh, and the wife knows what caused it. Somehow, when you don't tell her what you are about to do, and you leave the softballs fields sideways tires squalling, and her screaming (not sure which one was louder), i think she figured out what it was. we stopped by a friends house, and that is when I heard the distinctive sounds of small needle bearings crying....:hehe:

her response was, "that is what you get for making pee on myself."

·
Registered
575 Posts
I live in winston salem NC 2 hours from raleigh i need is contact info ASAP

·
Registered
208 Posts
I was talking with Dave at X-mas about the build i want to do. I am getting ready to pull the pin on my build. I heard a rumor he may have a Canadian shop/dealer soon. Has anyone else heard this. I have not called him recently. Just curious ? My 48RE with 170,000km is kind of getting tired hauling 16500lbs all summer LOL !

·
Registered
300 Posts
i too would also like to know if there is a canadian dealer offering these trannys. I am in the market to buy one before the winter and want to make sure i don't make a mistake and buy the wrong one.

·
Soot Sniffer
1,327 Posts
If you're a fairly competent mechanic, Dave will let you install the trans yourself and keep the warranty. He'll ship them anywhere you want. I'm just lucky I only live an hour away from him, so I went to his shop. Well worth the install fee to meet him and see behind the scenes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
no, not the drive shaft, the universal joint.. Took an act of congress to get the stock ones out. 183,000 miles on the stock ones. I am happy with that. haha

Oh, and the wife knows what caused it. Somehow, when you don't tell her what you are about to do, and you leave the softballs fields sideways tires squalling, and her screaming (not sure which one was louder), i think she figured out what it was. we stopped by a friends house, and that is when I heard the distinctive sounds of small needle bearings crying....:hehe:

her response was, "that is what you get for making pee on myself."
Thats the funniest thing ive read all damn night. lmao:rof

·
Registered
8,728 Posts
If you're a fairly competent mechanic, Dave will let you install the trans yourself and keep the warranty. He'll ship them anywhere you want. I'm just lucky I only live an hour away from him, so I went to his shop. Well worth the install fee to meet him and see behind the scenes.
Wish we were that close to a big builder... had a goerend in my 06 full billet that took plenty of abuse:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
sorry, forgot to post that he live just outside of Raleigh, North Carolina. I drove up from South Georgia, and it took me 7 hours.

Most people are like, wow... that is a long way to drive to get a trans done, but the way I look at it, is by the time I got home, break in period was over.

Now, I got to get back outside to change the rear driveshaft U-joints.. busted one last night.. good trans = finding weak components.
IDK if you knew the guy in Raleigh to drive that far, but there is a Goerend dealer/install an 1hr north of Atlanta.

And there are a couple guys in S. Ga that build some unbelievable tranny's.

Either way Dave's tranny's kick a ss, congrats.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
IDK if you knew the guy in Raleigh to drive that far, but there is a Goerend dealer/install an 1hr north of Atlanta.

And there are a couple guys in S. Ga that build some unbelievable tranny's.

Either way Dave's tranny's kick a ss, congrats.
yeah, i know. I also could have saved $400 and driven 5 less hours to a guy just south of me, but when I talked to Dave, he told me this was the guy I wanted to do my transmission.. That was all I needed to hear, and I am glad I decided to make the drive, not only did I get a great transmission, but made some new friends as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts