Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would share a few things I have done recently and the things I have had happen with them. I got John B at Holland Court Diesel, sponse of our site here to get me a fuelrail pressure guage and 30psi pressure guage. I choose the Dipricol-OptixII with the white face.

They look so good with how our OEM dash is built, at least they work for me... I also had John get me some of the Autometer 2" guage cups to mount these so as to better place these where I want them and be able to stack more guages the same later and add to the A-pillar and keep my grab handle.

Heck these made my Attitude to look bad since it doesn't match the OEM stuff at all. It has the blue light in the dark when using the lights also, where the new guages have the teal lights. I am figuring on using the Juice on zero and just use it for the guages, once I get my module from Shawn at Infinite P&D. I will just run the Module for what it does to the 6.7 and the Juice to help moniture things.

Heck I may even dump the Juice and get all new guages for what I want to moniture LOL... I like these guages guys, they please me very well...

Well the one thing I had happen that throwed me for a loop for a day till I figured out what to do to fix it was I got RFI from hell all over the ECU, the Juice and the OHC once I come on line with the fuelrail guage. Truck even got to the point it sounded more like the 5.9 with its louder rattle, but then while driving her and having all this just slam me on the road at once, the truck went into limp and it died while I was driving... OMG

Lost the power steering and brakes LOL, it was like coming in with the space shuttle :) Anyway I unhooked the guage and all went back to normal and I had the 30 psi fuel lift guage working fine again and drove the rest of the day...

I call John and one of my dealers local to see if they knew anything to get me headed in the right direction. Basically no one had any trouble with these. Once again it was like OMG now what LOL...

I think about everything I had and done, checked how I had all the wiring to these running and wondering if the RFI was from this. Then I got to thinking I had also the Rokk Tech CPS unit still on and I have modified the hound out of it, allowing me to even retard the timing the same amount it would advance.

I was running at the time all retarded timing I could get from the CPS checking for any changes in sounds and fuel mileages with the Juice set at different levels.

This CPS and how I had it retarded on the timing, did turn out to be the problem and I lucked out by going here before taking all the tie-straps off the wiring and moving all that stuff differently and just hunting for the RF all over LOL.

I installed the CPS back to more of a normal setting and the truck was fine. So I just yanked it out and put thew OEM CPS back in and things are good with both of my new guages now.

Here is a view of how I have the guages mounted for now.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8db35b3127ccec449d8a72bca00000056108BcNXLVo3ag9vPhA

Here is a couple of PIC's of the Rokk Tech CPS. The first one is of the unmodified side and how you can see the O-ring groove missing where they remove it for the advancement of the timing...

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8db35b3127ccec4481bce4b1600000056108BcNXLVo3ag9vPhA

The second of the CPS shows where I roughly chewed the otherside of the O-ring groove off so as to move the CPS to retard the timing.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8db35b3127ccec4486c4d0b3600000056108BcNXLVo3ag9vPhA

These are really sorry PIC's guys... Now soon I will have the Module to run that Infinite P&D makes and we can see how things are from that...

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention the fuel pressures I am running on all this...
Fuel lift pump idles hot or cold at 9psi and at a WFO sprint goes to 6psi

The fuelrail idles hot or cold at 5K for the most part and I have seen it drop to 3K but only for a second and then jumps back to 5K. The WFO sprint pressure on the rail hangs at only 24K, which seems low to me. Will be looking into this more later...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Before I installed the MP8, with just the rail pressure gauge (Pricol also), the rail pressure seemed to be ECM limited to 22,500psi on my truck, for what it's worth. I believe the rail pressure sending unit isn't good for more than about 28,500, but could be wrong on that one. I've limited rail pressure to 27,500 with only two shims in the relief valve and the MP8 on 100% in the interest of longevity (I hope anyway).

I used the mount that mounts atop the steering column for the rail pressure and lift pump gauges, which suits me fine. I'm getting rid of the pillar mount for the Edge and going back to the aluminum bracket double sticked to the dash, so I can see the thing when I'm driving.

·
Registered
331 Posts
How much was the Rokk Tech CPS? Did it help/hurt any?

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
great info here Jeb. Now if i only had a stack of cash to get these gauges.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Thanks for the good info yet again Jeb! When you mash the throttle I bet that all those gauges start to race... but the fuel gauge always seems to win!

I think that you are right...your rail pressure seems low from what others have posted. Maybe it needs a regulated aux lift pump to help keep the pressure ar 9 psi when you have the pedal down.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Did I read correctly on another post that your lift pump pressure sensor is before your 2 micron filter setup?

Someone on here reported that with the 2 micron filter in place and a sensor after it the pressures were dropping dangerously low; I'm going to be installing the same setup that you have in a few weeks and my pressure sensor will be after the 2 micron setup although I would like to find another sensor and be able to switch between the before and after pressure readings.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Slag,

No my lift pump sensor, I put it after the filters I put on the front side of the tank. This way as the pressure drops I can check the point on the otherside of the filters to see if I just need to change the filters:) I am planning that this will help with changing filters only when they need to be... Plan anyway.

I remember reading that about the 2 mic filter causing the low lift pump pressure also dude. Mine is certainly lower than I would pefer it to be, but that is only because of the low suck fuel lift pump in the fuel tank, not from the 2 mic filter. I really like how this filter and pressure guage sensor setup is now. I just need a better fuel lift pump, 1/2" SS tubing from tank to CP3 and it should be great...

DG,

The Rokk Tech CPS was just under 80 bucks dude and I didn't seem to gain or lose anything from it, other than it set to retard the timing really nuked my fuelrail guage LOL...

Cloudy,

It would not surprize me either dude if the ECM dumps fuel through the pressure relief to suit the mapping in the ECM. Its sort of like my boost reading I get on the Attitude, stand on the throttle and you get a spike of like 28psi and then it will fall back down where the map has been set up to run at... Nothing adjustable for us until some of our fearless aftermarket guys help us out with modules and programmers and such...

These 2" guage cups are really good and strong too, they have aluminum bracket to attach to the mounting area of choice. Nothing plastic on these suckers either...

·
08 Cummins
2,196 Posts
Cloudy,

I've seen that DiPricol says that there rail pressure gauge will only work with the 5.9L. Did you have to do anything different to get it to work with the 6.7L or have they just not updated their info yet?

·
08 Cummins
2,196 Posts
Thanks. I called Wally at FTE and ordered my gauges. A great guy to talk to and he had great prices. I'm glad I talked to him before I ordered from somewhere else.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
Thanks. I called Wally at FTE and ordered my gauges. A great guy to talk to and he had great prices. I'm glad I talked to him before I ordered from somewhere else.
Obviously i have dealt with him and he is a great guy. Spent a ton of time talking his ear off about my "plans":lol3:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts