Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be the first to admit that I am not a diesel expert. I have a bone stock 5.9L with 277,964 miles. I am one of those who never knew about the harmonic damper until the TDR article. So I looked and sure enough I had a worn out damper so I brought a fluid damper. Finally installed the damper today and it wasn't a difficult install. Basically went like this: removed the neg bat cables, unplugged the fan clutch, removed the fan shroud, removed the belt, removed the fan, used a pump jack and piece of 2x4 to wedge between the damper wheel and lower shroud mount bracket. worked great! was able to break the four damper bolts no problem. removed old damper, cleaned the shaft and lubed prior to installing new damper. the fluid damper can only go on one way because of the crank shaft dowel so installed it and the bolts to wrench tight then used the wedge method to torque to 92 ft/lbs. reinstalled the belt, the fan and shroud plugged in the fan clutch, hooked the neg cable to the batteries and then tried to start. turned over and caught then stopped. tried again same. I drove the truck all day yesterday and where I parked it is where I did the work. I had one DTC: camshaft position sensor prior to the work. I use a smarty Jr. but took the truck back to stock prior to the work. I installed a new FCA a few weeks ago. within the last 6 months I replaced the battery cables. I have new strong batteries. I am at a loss as to why it didn't just start right up. any ideas? thanks

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
I had one DTC: camshaft position sensor prior to the work. I use a smarty Jr. but took the truck back to stock prior to the work. I installed a new FCA a few weeks ago. within the last 6 months I replaced the battery cables. I have new strong batteries. I am at a loss as to why it didn't just start right up. any ideas? thanks
What year??
Still have cam code ?
if so to avoid throwing parts at issue, should go thru diagnostics for whichever Cam shaft code you have :wink2:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, my truck is a 2006 ram 3/4 4x4
here is the crankshaft sensor at the damper. replaced with a new sensor and still no start. I used the smarty to look for a DTC and there was not one. I tried the three key on method and no codes. BUT then I did some homework and learned that on startup the ECM uses the camshaft portion sensor (CMP) for engine speed and then once the engine is running the ECM switches to crankshaft sensor (CKP) for engine speed. SO i guess I'll go look at the CMP!

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
If no codes from ECM
Check basics/easy things first.
Can try reboot of computers by disconnecting batteries let sit 5 minutes take that time to make sure good 12.6+ volts, good connections including grounds.
Got fuel to CP3?
Good air intake?
Good fuses ?
Check cluster codes ?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here is what I've done today: ohm check both sensors both good, instrument cluster check gave the following: 281 c 447 s 114. I do not know how to look these up. point me in the right direction? I have a DTC po336 which is the crank sensor. SO I'm trying to use my multimeter to check the harness but the prods do not do a good job being they are too big to plug into the connector and leave hanging while trying to hold the ecm plug and test at same time. So I'll shop for smaller leads. replaced the fuel filter just cause, not sure how to test the CP3. fuse are good and air filter is good. I don't know if I'm getting closer to start but I'm picturing the dern truck rolling down a hill by itself!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should clarify the the current DTC is not the same as the initial. PO341 was the original code and after installing the new sensor and ohm checking it then pluging the harness to it is when the new code PO336 appeared.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Double check/test sensor?
should read resistance between 900 and 1100 ohms
Have used stranded copper wire carefully, in an emergency to test on smaller connectors:wink2:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It starts!!!!! But I‘m an idiot, too! Five days I messed with the electrical, doubted the batteries, hated the truck! Then read a thread above about damper position and check mine and sure as sheat I put the large hole over the dowel. 🤦‍♂️ took the damper off and put it back on with the small hole over the dowel, you know like the directions say to! Put the belt fan and shroud back on. Put the key in and the dern thing fired right up!! Mixed emotions, man , mixed emotions! But i will tell you this: the truck runs so much better with the new damper!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts