Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I needed new tires and wanted something taller to lower my RPMs in 6th gear and a bit wider to help my foot print in the sand.

I finally got a set of Nitto Durra Grappler's 285-75-17 and am real happy with them so far. I did need spacers in the rear so I got the narrowest I could 1-1/2". The spacers came from wheeladapter.com Fred is 100% customer service and turned out a great product in one day.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Lookin good!

·
Registered
65 Posts
How much space do you have between your tires, when you have your 5th wheel attached to your truck? I really want bigger tires, but i pull a 40' goosneck all the time, so i can't have the tires touch at all when i'm loaded.

·
First Timer
656 Posts
I'm curious about the sidewalls under heavy load, too.... But, from a complete aesthetic standpoint, I love the look of wide 'd duallies - poking out just a bit, looks good, man!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Do you know if a 315/70/17 or 35x12.5x17 will fit on the stock wheel ok?

·
Registered
225 Posts
315's will not fit. Too wide. 285's can be too wide. Some have good luck with it some do not. When i worked at discount tire, i saw more wide dually tire blown out or separated than any other tire. If you decide to do it; go for it

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well I needed new tires and wanted something taller to lower my RPMs in 6th gear and a bit wider to help my foot print in the sand.

I finally got a set of Nitto Durra Grappler's 285-75-17 and am real happy with them so far. I did need spacers in the rear so I got the narrowest I could 1-1/2". The spacers came from wheeladapter.com Fred is 100% customer service and turned out a great product in one day.:thumbsup:

Looks good though

·
Registered
190 Posts
I love my Nitto Durra's I have put 50k miles on them and they steel look new

·
Registered
627 Posts
The widest tire you can run safely without spacers are 265s. I also run 285s and run 1/2" spacers. No rub with them when pulling a loaded 3 horse gooseneck trailer w/ living quarters.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
wouldnt you need wider wheels for anything over 265? they are only 6" wide right. 17X6

·
Registered
25 Posts

No problem putting 285's on the stock wheels?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Not really, but you can't go any wider.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not really, but you can't go any wider.
1/2" spacer works fine? I was going to buy the 1.5" but heard you have to trim the stock lugs off, so then started looking at teh 2". You have plenty of space between the rear tires?

·
Registered
627 Posts
1/2" spacer works fine? I was going to buy the 1.5" but heard you have to trim the stock lugs off, so then started looking at teh 2". You have plenty of space between the rear tires?
I pull atrailer all day every day and they never touch. Even when I oull the loaded horse trailer that weighs around 13K loaded. The 1/2" spacer leaves about a 1/2" gap and is all that is needed. Let us know how those tires wear. I'm in the market for new ones now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts