Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I am new to the forum world as well as the diesel world. I just bought a 2010 2500 4x4 Leramie in october and want to find out the best way to increase fuel mileage and HP. I am not looking to rip the rear tires off the truck just modest HP increase and mileage. It sounds like any thing i do to the truck can void the warranty depending on the mood of the dealership. I am looking to do an cold air intake and tuner i am just not certain which are the best choices. Is there more i can do on top of the intake and tuner? thanks for the help.

·
Registered
630 Posts
First, welcome to the Dodge Cummins Family. Honestly it's all going to come down to how much you value your warranty versus fuel mileage and possibly less trips to the dealership. The main restriction in getting good fuel mileage is the diesel particulate filter (DPF) on your exhaust. Basically, it collects all the soot that would be going out the tail pipe, spends extra fuel to heat up the exhaust to burn it out, then repeats as needed. This is how "blu tech" came to be and "clean" diesel. So, cleaning the environment by making you burn more fuel. With the delete of your DPF, you can eliminate these "regen cycles" the truck would do to burn out the soot in the DPF and get better fuel economy this way. Regardless of if you want to buy a tuner or not, deleting the DPF will in almost all cases require to buy one to have the truck still run.

Most associated with deleting the DPF, removing, blocking off, or unlpugging the Exhaust Gas Recirc. (EGR) system is quite common as it is another emissions monkey that most prefer to get off their back to run cleaner (by that I mean putting less crap back into the engine to result in "clean emissions") and with more power. That's a whole different thread really as you can delete the DPF with small steps to take care of the EGR problem without entirely removing it....

So... onto tuners.... Bottom line, many companies make tuners but for the 6.7's, currently the Smarty (made by MADS Electronics) and the Blackmaxx/Minimaxx (made by H & S Performance) are the most popular for those who run without their DPF's on the truck and also have their EGR system removed or blocked off. Edge products also makes tuners, their "Juice with Attitude" Or "CTS". They are able to be run with the DPF or without pending what you would like to do.

If you choose to run a tuner with your DPF still intact, you may see MPG improvements based on your driving style, you may not. Even if you remove your tuner before visiting the dealer, with today's Starscan that the Dodge dealership uses, they can detect you had one on the truck pending how "deep" they dig. As you stated earlier, it's quite dependent on the individual dealership and their service managers.

As for other gainers of power and MPGs, don't bother with a "DPF-back" exhaust system. The DPF is so restrictive it will make no difference. An intake can make a difference, all though not significant. There are many flavors of intake out there. S & B, AFE, and Banks all make intakes that are popular, but there are many just as good if you have a brand preference.

Lastly, as i'm sure you've guessed by now, DPF delete means replacing the DPF with a straight piece of exhaust pipe to take it's place. You then can buy a tuner, or "sims" that make the truck think it's still there and everything is good to go with the exhaust. Basically fooling the truck computer into thinking it never needs to go into a regen cycle to clean out the DPF filter (that now is missing).

Reactions: sgsterling

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hey everyone I am new to the forum world as well as the diesel world. I just bought a 2010 2500 4x4 Leramie in october and want to find out the best way to increase fuel mileage and HP. I am not looking to rip the rear tires off the truck just modest HP increase and mileage. It sounds like any thing i do to the truck can void the warranty depending on the mood of the dealership. I am looking to do an cold air intake and tuner i am just not certain which are the best choices. Is there more i can do on top of the intake and tuner? thanks for the help.
i know what will fix this...the SEARCH BUTTON!!!or reading atleast 2 posts on the same page as which you just posted lol:banghead: but all kidding aside...take all the emissions junk off and get you a good tuner...do some research and pick your brand...the search button will bring 100's if not 1000's of this exact same question. 5" flo pro exhaust and a egr and egr cooler delete package from james at rollinsmokediesel.com will get you set up. o and welcome to the diesel world

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WOW my fist time using any forum of any kind and I get a scolding for breaking forum protocol by not using the SEARCH BUTTON...LOL...I will try to do better in the future. Idaho1 I noticed that you are a military member thank you for your service I am a retired Navy myself since last October.... 21 years. Thank you for your in-depth response. I do have some more questions can I remove or cap the EGR and replace it as needed? Also will any of the DPF friendly tuners do me any good I know you touched on it. I only have 6k on the truck and getting 12 MPG in town and appox 15 on the highway. For me to invest in an intake and tuner do you think that would bring it up a 2-3 MPG or would it be a waste of money until I remove the emission. I am a Chevy man by heart but liked the look of the Dodge and the Cummins is unbeatable not to mention Dodge is cheaper. I knew what I was getting into with a diesel as far as expense but the rise in fuel prices and the low MPG's I am getting now is very frustrating.

·
Registered
168 Posts
WOW my fist time using any forum of any kind and I get a scolding for breaking forum protocol by not using the SEARCH BUTTON...LOL...I will try to do better in the future. Idaho1 I noticed that you are a military member thank you for your service I am a retired Navy myself since last October.... 21 years. Thank you for your in-depth response. I do have some more questions can I remove or cap the EGR and replace it as needed? Also will any of the DPF friendly tuners do me any good I know you touched on it. I only have 6k on the truck and getting 12 MPG in town and appox 15 on the highway. For me to invest in an intake and tuner do you think that would bring it up a 2-3 MPG or would it be a waste of money until I remove the emission. I am a Chevy man by heart but liked the look of the Dodge and the Cummins is unbeatable not to mention Dodge is cheaper. I knew what I was getting into with a diesel as far as expense but the rise in fuel prices and the low MPG's I am getting now is very frustrating.
I was just giving you a hard time, i know everybody has to start somewhere and some people havent ever used forums. From what I have ever understood about using a tuner and a dpf is that they often dont play well considering the intended use of the dpf which is to filter the soot, with that being said a tuner is going to adjust your timing and your fuel. So the reason I would say stay away from the dpf "friendly" tuners is because I could see the potential of the dpf clogging up faster which in turn equal more regens which would equal less fuel mileage. I know alot of people like their warranty but most people only need the warranty for the emissions equipment ie. turbo and egr being clogged. If I may make a suggestion for you, go to Rollin' Smoke Diesel - Diesel Perfomance Parts and give James a call, he is very informative and a very cool guy to talk to. He will be able to get you set up with what you want. Again, welcome to the forums and the diesel world!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I new you were givin me a hard time just had to dig back a little. Any way thanks for the help and advice I just need to figure out what I want to do.

·
Salty Squid
770 Posts
H&S is the only Tuner available for 2010+

Go to your User CP (Button on top of page) to put your ride in your Signature line so you don't have to keep posting you have a 2010.

I get about 15MPG out of my truck with mixed city & county road driving. On road trips I get 19, towing the 5er I get 10.

I'd look at a 4" over a 5". 4" is easier to install and leaves room for your spare tire heat shield.

As far as intakes go, I like the AirRaid.

I would pull the "Muffler" out of your intake boot though.

Good luck and thanks for your service.

·
Salty Squid
770 Posts
But I would wait a few months and see if EFI is able to get programming figured out for the 2010+ 6.7's

1 - 8 of 8 Posts