Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! New to dodge and cummins but not to diesels. I have learned a great amount reading this forum, thanks for all the info! I stumbled into a 2011 leftover Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 6 speed manual 8' bed Bighorn package... they gave me a very good trade deal and since the new one was a leftover it was 17k less than the sticker. I traded my 2005 silverado duramax in on it, and drove it home 3 weeks ago. I am really digging it! I like the new body style, the cab is huge! and it is really laid out nice/comfy to drive.

towing power on the other hand... was well... not impressive at all:doh::stirpot:. i tow a jeep on an open trailer, total weight is a hair less than 7k#. it had a hard time pulling a hill that my old duramax (stock) ran with out so much as a hard breath. Hands down this truck has it over the old one in all aspects, it just needed a little more power.

I installed an egr delete, 4" turbo back exhaust and am running it off of a smarty jr. I dont have any complaints about how it runs and tows now :thumbsup: I am running the mileage tune and i feel that it is all I need to tow the way i want.

so heres the new truck!

·
Registered
110 Posts
shes a beauty - love that color! congrats on your new rig, enjoy!!!
quick question - what level are you running your smarty on when towing?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am running the first level over stock now. The second is the tow tune, i set it to that first but it was nothing to break the tires loose in 4th gear so i dropped down. Youll like the deletes, they make it like driving a whole different truck when it can breathe

Reactions: BigJonB

·
Registered
6,582 Posts
Maybe you have different gear's but I can tell you this I can pull any grade in Calif at pretty much any speed i want with every load I have hauled so far you must have 342's or 373's ???? How hard were you pushing it ?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe you have different gear's but I can tell you this I can pull any grade in Calif at pretty much any speed i want with every load I have hauled so far you must have 342's or 373's ???? How hard were you pushing it ?
3.73 ratio, 4% grade 35mph coming out of town at the bottom and 1 mile later was barely doing 55 (speed limit) at the top. Pedal was on the floor.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Hmm. I dont drive a 4th gen but my 2007 will tow my Jeep up any hill with an empty trailer and I can do much more than 55. Granted we don't have the mountains of the West so our pulls are shorter. Did it get much better with the Smarty? I run my Smarty Jr on tow level and she pulls well.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The smarty was great and a big improvement on its own. I did the deletes and ME update mainly for engine longevity, get the heat and dirt out and its a win. I dont want to get too crazy on the tune to where i damage the engine/driveline. i am not looking to make oodles of power, Just want to at least be able to tow like my old truck wich i think i accomplished.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Wow..... 17k off sticker!:shock: Sounds like a great deal, nice color btw!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, i filled it up today... Hand calculated, same station and pump, i got 18.4 mpg (computer said 18.1). that was back and forth to work. mostly backroads with a stint on the highway and a fair amount of 50-60 mph 2 lane. running the tow tune (70hp 2nd setting) on the smartyjr it has gobs of power!

Best mpgs i got stock were 15.7

I got the vizion setup from quadzilla yesterday so i got to see boost and pyrometer. I was playing hard yesterday (since i could see what was going on under the hood) and basically just let it pull as hard as it would up a long steep hill nearby... boost hit about 23psi and my egts max were 963* and it was pulling like no tomorrow. my duramax would run 1100* without trying much, so I am pretty hapy with that pyrometer reading.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I owned 3 D/A, one an 03' 2500 and last two were an 05 and 07.5 3500 Dually's. I've had sig. truck for two years in June and it tows sig. 5er just as well if not better than my 07.5 DRW/D/A....I don't understand why your Ram doesn't tow as well as the Duramax...not my experience at all and the Chevy's and this Dodge were/are stock.....I tow in the mountains and this truck is one heck of a towing machine....but mine is an automatic with the 4:10, maybe that's the difference...just towing a Jeep? IF it has trouble towing that, something is wrong with your truck or your tune.....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.