Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi- First time owner of a diesel. I have a 2019 3500 SRW. I plan on towing a 10K lb trailer at least once a month with it and then use it to drive to work a couple of time a week and then drive it on the weekends as needed.

I would appreciate any tips on what I need to look out for with regards to engine operation and maintenance and any overall tips.

Thanks in advance.

Greg

·
Clayton @ Dude's Diesel Performance
3,372 Posts
Hi- First time owner of a diesel. I have a 2019 3500 SRW. I plan on towing a 10K lb trailer at least once a month with it and then use it to drive to work a couple of time a week and then drive it on the weekends as needed.

I would appreciate any tips on what I need to look out for with regards to engine operation and maintenance and any overall tips.

Thanks in advance.

Greg
Welcome and congrats on the new ram dude! What does your work commute look like? These trucks are great trucks but do not like to be driven like a grocery getter if that makes sense. You are definitely on the right track of being able to tow with it once a month as well as driving it when you can.

Do your best to keep idle times down and short trips to a minimum if possible. Don't be afraid to get on the skinny pedal every so often to keep that vgt turbo free from any possible soot build up. Do this with common sense of course don't just floor it all over the place you can do it safely by doing it from a roll if that makes sense.

Every so often getting it on the highway or toll road for a bit to keep everything burned out is also a good idea if you take short trips often. There are definitely ways to make it last as long as possible but it is a pain sometimes.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Really, there is nothing special. Compared to a gas vehicle, you will have to add DEF very occasionally and change both fuel filters every 15k miles or so. Oil changes will be more costly. You might want to plug in the block heater if your temps drop below zero. The regenerations are automatic.

·
hydraulic lifter crew
11,711 Posts
def fluid is the main difference, along with rigorous maintenance schedule. fuel may be a bit more expensive. I drive no different, or special, or any other way. I take the dreaded trips to the grocery store, oh no!! I daily mine to the fullest. yikes!!!!

seriously, just drive it. you'll have a full warranty.
just enjoy the tractor 🙂

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions. Anything I need to know about additives or treatments? See lots in the parts house.

·
3,372 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. Anything I need to know about additives or treatments? See lots in the parts house.
There will be alot of different opinions on this topic but my favorite is Hot Shot's Secret. Took me awhile to get on board as i thought it was going to be another typical fuel additive but i have seen it do some pretty amazing things.

·
3,372 Posts
def fluid is the main difference, along with rigorous maintenance schedule. fuel may be a bit more expensive. I drive no different, or special, or any other way. I take the dreaded trips to the grocery store, oh no!! I daily mine to the fullest. yikes!!!!

seriously, just drive it. you'll have a full warranty.
just enjoy the tractor 🙂
Lol you have much better luck then me for sure. Everytime i did this i had issues. Happy to hear that you aren't having any issues. Once i started doing the above i never have had any issues since.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I've owned and used Cummins engines for 50 years. None of them got any additives. Use lower gears around town, it will help your engine reach operating temp and the exhaust brake will be more effective when you need to slow or stop. Enjoy your new truck!

·
Buyer of stuff..with OPM
2,346 Posts
Read the manuals, do what they suggest......put it in drive, sit back and enjoy the ride. Your new truck is pretty smart and will do what it needs to do, with a minimal amount of input. Don't over think it and stress yourself out.

Sam

·
Registered
395 Posts
As far as additives, in case you are in a cold climate (32 or below) you might consider using a good anti-gel during each fill up. Put the desired amount per instructions of anti-gel in the tank before fueling. The fuel stations should winterize their diesel fuel, but you can't always count on that.

I know some chose to put an oil additive in as well. If you use quality diesel rated oil and oil filter there is no need for any oil additives. Good diesel oil has the proper additives in it.

There are a lot of knowledgable folks on this website to share their knowledge.

Enjoy your truck.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Easiest one - Don’t forget you’re driving a diesel and accidentally fill up with gasoline and vice versa. It happens A LOT more than it should.

Keep up with maintenance, keep her clean. You’ll be fine. Welcome to the Ram family.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Fuel goes in the big hole, DEF in the little one, accelerator on the right, brake on the left, truck tells you when the oil and fuel filters need changed. Let er rip!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts