Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 3500 Dually 4x4 8 foot bed Patriot Blue AT 48re Torson LSD 3.73 gears
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting my coolant filter ideas together.
This is how it will mount on the frame, sideways, already tapped the holes for 1/4 grade 8 bolts.
Mounting sideways keep it away from being hit by anything, and really you dont need valves on the in and outputs, the coolant is being tapped at the very top of the circuit.

My plan is to tap the hot coolant output at the head 1/2 " plug between cylinders 5 and 6.
Send it down to the filter on the frame. Then the return will be tee'd into the heater return hose.
All brass fittings and clamps for the hoses.
Run a Wix 24070 filter.
I had a marine fuel filter head already, so that part is free, as is the rubber hoses, plan to use 3/8 oil cooler hose I had left over from another setup no longer being used.

The interesting thing is a marine spin on fuel filter uses 1/4 threaded NPT, and an 11/16 filter thread nipple, same as many coolant filters use. These things are run as bypass filters, not full flow typically. The WIX 24070 is a full flow, but with the smaller 3/8 lines it is more of a bypass. Pulling coolant from between 5 and 6 keeps the hose length shorter, and I hear it is hotter back there, so that will be good to vent that area of some hot coolant.

So this filter base used to be used with a marine gasoline filter in my old boat. Basically a mercruiser style filter head.

This is one of those, I had a bunch of unused older parts laying around trying to find a use for things. As a coolant filter is not really necessary. But it is a nice option to have. My total cost is a $9 filter, and $6 for the street elbows, everything else I already had unused for anything else, so why not.

Also, if you use long life coolant like HOAT etc., not the green stuff IAT type coolant, then you dont run coolant filters with DAC4 type supplemental additives inside them, that is only for IAT (inorganic acid technology coolant, Ethylene Glycol). I gleaned that from the Donaldson filter site. A wix 24070 has no supplement units in the filter. Also the new universal long life coolant needs no supplements. If you add them, it ruins the long life quality of the coolant.

elbows, and they are nice quality ones.

Filter

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just remember that running it “hot” can create its own problems (hot/cold cycling means greater expansion & contraction on assembly components).

I think coolant filtration a good idea. I’d also recommend use of either RMI-25 or SCHAEFFERS #258 as part of the program.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just remember that running it “hot” can create its own problems (hot/cold cycling means greater expansion & contraction on assembly components).

I think coolant filtration a good idea. I’d also recommend use of either RMI-25 or SCHAEFFERS #258 as part of the program.
All the NPT brass will be sealed with Permatex RTV. Just put on the threads and screw it together.
The filter and filter base can take it.
Coolant pressure localized back there can go up to 50 psi or something, there was a thread on that where someone measured the pressure on the rear head port.
Hardest part of this job is putting in the tee for the return. I have to cut out a section in the return heater hose and figure out the placement in the cut hose

Adding on the thread tapping on the frame idea. The metal is harder than mild steel. Tapping was difficult using carbon steel tap, like a Hanson tap from Lowes. I bought a HSS (high speed steel) tap as they can tap this kind of steel easier, including SS. So be wise and consider what I am saying, I tapped 5 holes with a carbon steel tap, broke one tap and had to pound it through with a drift punch , and another tap chipped a cutter.

Example of HSS tap and this cost less money. Have not used it yet. This is BSW thread and works with 1/4 UNC thread too. BSW thread is formed at 55 degree angle, and UNC is 60. You can tap a BSW hole and then clean the hole to 60 (easy cut) with a UNC tap, but you dont have to do that, a UNC bolt threads in fine to a hole tapped with a BSW tap, the only size which is not compatible is 1/2 inch..

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, pretty much got it done today. Length of hoses, 10 foot total will do it. will be shorter for the return from filter, and longer for the output to filter. IT works, filter gets hot.
Connection to rear at head between 5 and 6, this is coming out of head and going into filter.
Heater outflow return hose is off.

The TEE I made up with the elbow cut off OEM heater hose.

45 degree section cut off from OEM heater hose and put onto the heater port outflow.

Return from filter and tee clamped in. Note hoses go to left of trans fill tube.
Get the length of the OEM cut off correct, you dont want to stress the return pipe or its hoses.

another view, both hoses running down firewall and ziptied to AC bracket, to keep them away from exhaust pipe. I should double zip tie this.

Hose routing to outside of frame, need to tie to body mount.

Filter location, on its side mounted up high. Other wire goes to auto lock for rear tailgate, needs again to be tied up on hoses

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haven’t tried them, but stainless zip ties are out there.
I was also thinking a piece if 10 to 12 gauge copper wire from romex cable.
Or some aluminum grounding wire.

My next, and I think last filter setup will be for the power steering and brakes. It looks like the return line from cooler can be put over the frame at the TEE. And the filter base will go in that large space in front of the tire.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts