Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ended up going with a Valair clutch. Jbarker set me up with a good deal on a 500hp clutch with a new flywheel and a 3400# pressure plate :peelout

Here are some pictures of the old stuff and the new stuff. The clutch that was in my truck was a sach clutch (spelling?). I've been told that is the stock replacement, which means this is the third clutch to be put in my truck! I bought my truck with a reman'd Getrag, so its not really surprising.

Here are the pictures:

$60 at Harbor Freight! This thing is a trooper!

Jbarker and Valair were both great to deal with, they scored me a smoking deal and got it to by door really quick! (I hear it helps living 5 hours away from where they are manufactured :lol3: )

Thanks guys :beer

Chris

·
Registered
661 Posts
what size would my 92 be?...flywheel

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
What do you mean what size is your flywheel? The stock flywheel is the old one in the picture.

Chris

·
Registered
97 Posts
Looks nice. Good deal!

From the picture of the new flywheel, It looks like the pilot bearing is seated in the flywheel and not the crank. Is that true? Just curious. Also, what kind of tool did you use to aglign the center of the pressure plate with the pilot bearing before you bolted on the pressure plate?

Thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
Additionally, did the new flywheel come with the ring gear? Is in inclusive or did you press it on?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Pilot bearing is in the flywheel on a CTD. Any self-respecting clutch should come with an alignment tool--it looks like its still in there in the under-truck picture.

It's still looking like a 12.25'' unit to me....

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
2" lift and 35" tires sure give you room under your truck....
Don't think I've ever seen a tranny pulled out a truck sitting on it tires !

·
Registered
97 Posts
Pilot bearing is in the flywheel on a CTD. Any self-respecting clutch should come with an alignment tool--it looks like its still in there in the under-truck picture. QUOTE]

Right! ok, now I see it. Awesome!

·
Registered
536 Posts
ive pulled mine out with a 6 inch lift and 35's and twice on my cousins wjth a 4 inch and 35's

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
so how do you like your Valair cluch?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've only had it in for 3 days now, but so far so good. The flywheel came with the pilot bearing already pressed in. The old flywheel just had a bushing that came out in two pieces when we pulled it :lol3:

This is supposed to be a 13" clutch, but it looks smaller. Here is a link to the clutch I got from their website:

http://www.valairinc.com/performance/images/nmu70279-04-5sce.jpg

Yes it came with an alignment tool, The picture where the clutch is on the engine shows the alignment tool still in it.

This clutch is jumpy, which I was told to expect for a few hundred miles. Dan told me to be easy on it and break it in for a couple hundred in town miles, so I'm not going to test whether it slips or not for a week or two :peelout

When I was looking at buying one of these clutches I saw very few people talking about them, even the people who had them had very little to say good or bad about them. This is the reason I made this post with the pictures etc.

I will keep it updated once the clutch starts getting broken in etc.

Chris

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Additionally, did the new flywheel come with the ring gear? Is in inclusive or did you press it on?
By ring gear do you mean the gear the starter turns? If so, it is all one piece. The teeth are machined into the flywheel as far as I can tell.

Chris

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, its nice to be able to sit and not lay down the whole time! I was hoping to be able to get the tranny out from under the truck to pressure wash it, but we would have had to take it off the jack, and its a little too heavy for that :w:

Chris

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes, its nice to be able to sit and not lay down the whole time! I was hoping to be able to get the tranny out from under the truck to pressure wash it, but we would have had to take it off the jack, and its a little too heavy for that :w:

Chris

Yeah, I dropped mine off the jack and onto my hand....ouch!

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
I had an '81 4 speed - don't know the manufacturer...
When I upgraded from the original 318 to a 'warmed' 440, I bought a bellhousing adapter for the 440 so I could keep the 4 speed....
Heaviest 4 speed I ever saw, but solid as a rock. Just don't try to speed-shift it. By playing with the throttle, I could shift up or down without the clutch and without grinding gears...
When we got the engine and tranny mated, My friend picked the combo up with his engine hoist and about 1 foot from clearing the front end of the truck - we blew the hydraulic cylinder !!! Fortunately we had not yet moved the engine/tranny close to the truck so it came down on the pallet we had been working on...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My buddy put a P-pumped Cummins in his K30. We had our doubts about the engine hoist picking that Cummins 3 feet off the ground :wow:

It was straining, but it got it done!

I've never seen the cylinder break though, thats crazy.

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Well, maybe break isn't the word I should have used....
The seals blew out and sprayed hydraulic fluid all over the place...
Do you know how much fluid a 1 ton jack cylinder holds?

Enough to keep you busy for ~ 45 min cleaning up...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts