Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas. I need a new clutch. 1990 getrag 360. Basically stock except pump turned up a bit. May put a intercooler on it later. Thinking about a southbend but would consider anything. I want a good clutch though. Dont wanna come back in a year. Going to get flywheel turned and having center machined for updated pilot bushing. Also heard the stock sachs is a good clutch. Not sure where to get one of those. Plan on doing some pulling with her. I believe stock is thirteen inch right

·
Registered
166 Posts
Pulling like sled pulling? With a stock Sachs clutch? Hmmmmmmm....I doubt you would get it to hold while you spool the turbos and pre load the sled once you dump the clutch pedal your clutch will go with it if not that old getrag as well. Thats alot of shockload for a organic fibre fiber clutch. If you are sled pulling I would say south bed Feramic clutch and upgraded flywheel. And even at that you are just delaying the inevitable upgrade to an nv4500 with the 1 3/8 input.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It doesnt say it fits getrag 360 but from the research I have done it looks like there all the same for the nv 4500 and such

·
Premium Member
318 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I've heard real good things about sachs but I can't find one. Not sure if that sachs from rock auto is what I need. Heard they quit making them

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Thinking about going with a sachs from rock auto. K7068701. I'm gonna throw the bronze bushing away and upgrade to the roller style type. What you guys think https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,1990,w250+pickup,5.9l+359cid+l6+diesel+turbocharged,1101238,transmission-manual,clutch+kit,1993
This clutch should fit, the ad says 4 in stock. Your stock clutch (if oem) is 13"x1.250x10 spline.

This is about the same thing but more money, see link. Whatever you do don't down grade to the 12.250 clutch that a lot of parts houses want to sell.

https://www.phoenixfriction.com/p-23333-05-053-clutch-kit-dodge-59l-cummins-diesel-pickup-van-13-in.aspx

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
I would call them to be sure. Note the small diameter hub on the Sachs and Phoenix, I think the flywheel is also small in this area. I do think that it can be machined for the larger hub. It is also double the money v/s the Sachs, if that matters. I still recommend the Sachs, it will be a direct fit with no surprises.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would call them to be sure. Note the small diameter hub on the Sachs and Phoenix, I think the flywheel is also small in this area. I do think that it can be machined for the larger hub. It is also double the money v/s the Sachs, if that matters. I still recommend the Sachs, it will be a direct fit with no surprises.
ok I think I'm gonna go with the sachs from rock auto. Now I have to choices a button clutch or the other style what do you guys recommend. Also I am wanting to get my flywheel machined for the new roller style pilot bearing. Good or bad. This is the button style clutch and here is the pilot bushing I was gonna go with

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Are you the original owner of the truck? If not, do you know the history, how many miles on it? Has it ever had a clutch change? The reason I ask, is, back in the day, a lot of clutch replacements were the 12.250". If you have the wrong flywheel for a 13" clutch, you will be better off getting a complete (w/flywheel) clutch kit. Valair and South Bend both use the roller pilot bearing in the flywheel. Again, if you don't know the history of the truck, it "might" already have the good flywheel. So, a lot of questions and not many answers, Lol

The ceramic button clutch's will hold more power but are grabby and are hard on flywheels if you let them slip. Such as starting in too high of a gear with a load. Always use 1st, loaded, with any clutch.

Here are two good clutch kits that are complete w/flywheel and roller pilot bearing. They are both organic disks. If you want ceramic, they have them too.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vai-s0033/overview/year/1991/make/dodge/model/d250

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sbb-13125-ok/overview/year/1991/make/dodge/model/d250

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
while not listed on our web site we do have some of the sachs type units available. but I would recommend the NMU70279-01-5SCE kit, comes with new flywheel equipped with roller bearing. rated to 450 hp

1 - 20 of 27 Posts