Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this weekend, amongst 28 hours of thrashing on the truck and engine, we put a Valair OFE in, 13" conversion with new flywheel and HD hub as well, 3400 # PP, new oil pan gasket, new rear main seal, fresh Rotella in the motor, new filter, new trans fluid, new transfer case fluid, and cleaned the amsoil BHAF.

Clutch went in without a hitch, well, it took us longer to put in the crossmember than it did the clutch, we finally figured out that you had to put it up in the frame further back and slide it foreward. We had two old chrysler bumper jacks cranked to the hilt spreading the frame too.

Found out you cant take off the oil pan with the motor in, so we put the engine lift over the motor and hooked it to the front lifting eye, loosened the pass. side mount and lifted and tilted the motor up about 2" to drop the pan enough to get the old brittle gasket out and cut and slide the new one in. The gasket leaked so bad we lost a quart of oil to the bottom of the truck by the time the oil had to be changed.

Cant wait till we get this thing broke in some more, it does engage a bit earlier, but it's workable. The pedal is sooo much smoother too. I will get pictures up of the older clutch that was in it. Had a Luk, but it was toast, there is a smeared streak a half inch wide around the whole thing where we had melted the facing down on it, was down to the rivets. pressure plate has heat checks and bluing on it, flywheel can be ground, its still pretty good, but rough.

Forever, the truck used to rattle and vibrate a lot, we thought it was in the drivetrain, such as the tranny or a U-joint. We put this thing it, it acts just like the 02 my dad has with 25K miles on it, no drivetrain or floorboard vibrations what so ever... Absolutely beautiful product.

Will keep you guys posted on how it breaks in and such. We did lean on it a bit last night, turned the box up and hit the map switch in high gear, doing about 40 mph, floored it, my god did it pull! Truck hasnt been this strong in a year since we got the drag comp and it started slipping a bit then it was all downhill from there. Engine pulled 40 psi of boost it 900' of elevation at 65*F, just going down the road. Cant wait to tow with this thing and see how well it holds.

Also, got a ford around here with an auto and a 6 way TS chip and big tires, gonna give him a run in a couple weeks.... along with my brother's banks equipped automatic '03.

- Neil

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well the clutch is holding great, engages smoothly, but early, but that is to be expected I guess, not that it's a problem or anything. Left some dually marks around a bend today, that was pretty cool, with a 8K cap. trailer hooked to it. It has started to rattle a little bit, but I guess that is to be expected as the springs loosen up a bit.

Here are some pics of the old clutch...

It took about 4 cans of brake clean, and putty knife and a pile of rags to clean out the bellhousing, there was about a 1/4" of dust and grease in there, the pilot bearing on the flywheel came apart and there was no grease in the throwout bearing....

Next step, stacks, and more parts for the new engine!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
so did i read that right or not....you have to spread the frame in order to get it out?? or pull on it?

·
Registered
68 Posts
NO you don't have to spread it. Just lift the trans up as far as it will go, then do the same to the crossmember and pull back.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
is that new clutch rated for 450 hp? cause mine is already slipping, going to drive up to mt. hood today rollin into it on the big hills dan said. that will hopefully break it in the rest of the way

·
Registered
267 Posts
When I changed my clutch a couple weeks ago that was the hardest part trying to get that cross member in. A lot of beating and a good sledge and a bunch of wood blocks it finally went in.

·
Banned
4,288 Posts
I need to do my rear seal & oil pan gasket also. I was thinking that it would be easier if I just unbolted the shocks & lowered the front axle a couple inches for clearance. What you think?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The axle isnt the problem, its the crossmember, which is welded to the frame. I could only get the pan down about 2", and even if I did get it down past the front part of the pickup tube, it owuld wedge against it on the way back, as the pickup tube goes from the sump in the pan in the back of the engine all the way towards the front passenger side of the block.

IIRC, this clutch is rated for 500/1000
NMU70279-02-5SCE
13" x 1.25" Performance Replacement
Organic / Feramic Facings
HD Spring Hub
Rated @ 500HP / 1000 ft lbs Torque
3400# Pressure Plate

I'll get a shot of it blowing some soot and see if I can get it on their website!

And yeah, you dont need to spread the frame, although it did help puting it back in as I used a very BFH to get it out, and I think the truck and the crossmember relaxed over night, so it got tighter.

·
Banned
4,288 Posts
The axle isnt the problem, its the crossmember, which is welded to the frame. I could only get the pan down about 2", and even if I did get it down past the front part of the pickup tube, it owuld wedge against it on the way back, as the pickup tube goes from the sump in the pan in the back of the engine all the way towards the front passenger side of the block.

IIRC, this clutch is rated for 500/1000
NMU70279-02-5SCE
13" x 1.25" Performance Replacement
Organic / Feramic Facings
HD Spring Hub
Rated @ 500HP / 1000 ft lbs Torque
3400# Pressure Plate

I'll get a shot of it blowing some soot and see if I can get it on their website!

And yeah, you dont need to spread the frame, although it did help puting it back in as I used a very BFH to get it out, and I think the truck and the crossmember relaxed over night, so it got tighter.
Oh, thanks for the heads up.:thumbsup

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
did you get a pic of the new clutch?
Ya know, in all this excitement, I dont think I did... what a shame since it looked nice as hell too!

But, it pretty much looks like their ceramic button style clutch, I think it has like 24 on each side, not a full material disk.

It has been getting really grabby lately, doesnt like being slipped out slowly in second gear, shakes your teeth out, got to let it out once you feel it grab.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts