Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What did I do wrong?
I replaced drums, shoes, and upgraded to chevy wheel cylinders this past weekend. Now it stops great but the brakes surge like crazy. Not so much at higher speeds, but when I get slowed down and I'm coming to a stop it feels like there is a huge weight making the wheels jump. Could the shoes being on backwards do this? This is all I can think of that could have happened. I put the new ones on the same way the old ones came off, but that doesn't mean much since the old wheel cylinders were leaking and the old shoes were worn badly.
Please help. I need to figure it out and fix it by this weekend.
Thanks,
-R.J.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Somethings out of round. Either the rotors are warped badly, or the drums are.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's how I feel too. Come to think of it one of the drums I got was in a box that had been re-taped. I just pulled the drums off and everything is as it should be. I had one adjuster spring backwards (not a big deal...fixed now), and one of the new springs I put on didn't sit quite right, so I put the old one back on. No change, and it didn't do this before.
Think I should return the drums and get different ones, or get them machined?
Now that I think about it also, I had a worse than normal vibration from the rear end coming home today at highway speeds.
Thanks.
-R.J.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Yeah, sounds like they hosed you on a drum. Tell them to exchange them or chuck them on a lathe and check the runout. Rotors should be turned or at least checked also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts