Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to get to the bottom of this "new stainless injector" rumor as well as the "Mopar remans are garbage" talk. I don't know how the stainless thing got started but there is no such thing, that much is certain.

"Stainless injectors don’t exist, the body material for the 5.9s was changed to the same as the 6.7s. This alloy is “shinier” but is not stainless. The internal ball seat on the latest design has been hard chromed for increased durability and this may be causing some of the stainless steel rumors.
In our opinion genuine Bosch remans are every bit as good as new injectors. The components that wear have been updated to the latest design, including chrome ball seat."

Bosch remans the Mopar injectors and updates any and all to the latest design/specs ... they are every bit as good as new ... so those that work directly in the field have told me. So I don't know how that got started either but I'm not gonna sweat it anymore.
Anyhow, that's what I've found out with a little research ... coming from the guys at DSG, Bosch and Exergy.

·
Registered
554 Posts
good stuff, i've followed these threads here. one thing that was difficult to discern was how to identify a Bosch-reman vs. joe-blow remans.

is there a specific part number for Bosch remans?

·
Registered
208 Posts
What year range are the trucks with the "bad" or not as durable as the new injectors?

·
Registered
409 Posts
I've been trying to get to the bottom of this "new stainless injector" rumor as well as the "Mopar remans are garbage" talk. I don't know how the stainless thing got started but there is no such thing, that much is certain.

"Stainless injectors don’t exist, the body material for the 5.9s was changed to the same as the 6.7s. This alloy is “shinier” but is not stainless. The internal ball seat on the latest design has been hard chromed for increased durability and this may be causing some of the stainless steel rumors.
In our opinion genuine Bosch remans are every bit as good as new injectors. The components that wear have been updated to the latest design, including chrome ball seat."

Bosch remans the Mopar injectors and updates any and all to the latest design/specs ... they are every bit as good as new ... so those that work directly in the field have told me. So I don't know how that got started either but I'm not gonna sweat it anymore.
Anyhow, that's what I've found out with a little research ... coming from the guys at DSG, Bosch and Exergy.
I was told the same thing by Greg at Exergy. That is where I got my remaned Bosch injector from. He told me that the Bosch remaned were as good as new injectors. Guess we will find out as that is what I installed in mine this week.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I was told the same thing by Greg at Exergy. That is where I got my remaned Bosch injector from. He told me that the Bosch remaned were as good as new injectors. Guess we will find out as that is what I installed in mine this week.
I would agree with him. Factory Bosch reman injectors are completly rebuilt, pop tested and have the latest up grades in them. I have a couple bosch remans and I am happy with them.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Only 2006 SLT Longbeds are affected.
:rof :bart: what color, hope its not the brown ones :eek:opsie:

I wouldn't be suprised though, thats usually how my luck works

Reactions: Capt. Slow

·
Registered
38 Posts
If these bosch remans are good my turds must be tits i have 20,000miles on them=6 and now ones poopin agin what is goin on. Thats my kinda luck.:gun3: these "high" quality over priced injectors.

·
Registered
87 Posts
so getting ready to pull my injectors to see which one or ones are the problems i found diesel in my oil pan i only drove maybe 8 miles before i noticed it. would like to know when changing the injectors if there is anything else that is needed to be changed as well as what else if anything i should look for that would be a good sign of something else being wrong?? also whats the price difference between new injectors and the remans? does anyone have the number to bosch so that i can call them if needed? thanks

·
Registered
199 Posts
so getting ready to pull my injectors to see which one or ones are the problems i found diesel in my oil pan i only drove maybe 8 miles before i noticed it. would like to know when changing the injectors if there is anything else that is needed to be changed as well as what else if anything i should look for that would be a good sign of something else being wrong?? also whats the price difference between new injectors and the remans? does anyone have the number to bosch so that i can call them if needed? thanks
Just make sure that you replace the copper washers when you replace the injectors. Also replace the connector tubes, or inspect them very well, when installing the new injectors. There have been issues of rough idles, smoke, etc when this isn't done.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I had all 6 injectors replaced with Mopar remans under warranty .... right off the bat one was faulty and my truck ran like crap. Another new injector ordered and installed ... truck runs a little better but rattles so bad under load now it sounds like a jar of marbles or ball bearings was thrown in while the valve cover was off. Also a noticeable tick and sounds like fuel knock at idle.
Dodge tech is now involved and truck is going back this week so we'll see how they (try to) solve this mess.
I got talking again to Greg & Randy at Exergy and am hoping I can send a set of these new remanned injectors to them while all this is going on so they can properly test these remans and then set them up properly if needed. Hopefully we can at least learn something here.

·
Premium Member
15,373 Posts
Well, I had all 6 injectors replaced with Mopar remans under warranty .... right off the bat one was faulty and my truck ran like crap.
Now you see WHERE the opinion these so called "remans" are crap is coming from.

Until Bosch PROVES these things can be consistently remanufactured to new quality, its a BS claim. :banghead:

The big difference is the remanufactured term is a new one. Remanufactured means the wear parts are replaced and all the internals are to spec and lack the fatigue of used. The whole concept is BS anyway because the fatigue factor is not addressed unless a damage is found at the remanufacture time.

Whereas before we had "rebuilt" injectors which was replacing the few parts that were available, not the critical ones of course, and cheching the rest were in spec.

There is as big a difference between rebuilt and remanufactured as there is from remanufactured to new. Either way, until Bosch and the rest of the companies they have licensed to do this can prove the process is adequate quality the concept of a reman as good as new is still BS.

It is NOT about what somebody says, its about how often the remans sccew up and fill the crank case with diesel or melt a piston. :S:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Now you see WHERE the opinion these so called "remans" are crap is coming from.

Until Bosch PROVES these things can be consistently remanufactured to new quality, its a BS claim. :banghead:

The big difference is the remanufactured term is a new one. Remanufactured means the wear parts are replaced and all the internals are to spec and lack the fatigue of used. The whole concept is BS anyway because the fatigue factor is not addressed unless a damage is found at the remanufacture time.

Whereas before we had "rebuilt" injectors which was replacing the few parts that were available, not the critical ones of course, and cheching the rest were in spec.

There is as big a difference between rebuilt and remanufactured as there is from remanufactured to new. Either way, until Bosch and the rest of the companies they have licensed to do this can prove the process is adequate quality the concept of a reman as good as new is still BS.

It is NOT about what somebody says, its about how often the remans sccew up and fill the crank case with diesel or melt a piston. :S:

Amen brother, last thing you want is to buy a remanufactured injector and have bigger issues than you started with. You might start with a leaky nozzle and end up with some other dudes remanufactured injectors that were run on a pressure box and heavy foot and the body ends up cracking.

No matter what they say I'd rather throw down a few more dollars for new injectors for the peace of mind.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have been running remans that I got from a reputable diesel house for 20000 plus miles and no issues yet. Now I have cursed myself!!!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Cerberusiam, you took the letters right off my keyboard. Sorry, but if Bosch takes my used injector with 100k mi. on it, replaces only what is wrong with it and sells it after it tests ok, that is not a rebuilt injector to me. To me that's like taking my engine with 100k mi. on it and one bad piston and fixing the one bad piston and selling it as a rebuilt engine. I'm sure you get the analogy intended. I can relate to Mopard as I had 3 injectors replaced under warranty two weeks ago, and two days later I had the return of most of the original problems. I don't think remans, particularly under warranty, is acceptable. Next thing they'll be installing them in new engines since they're so great. IMO they are doing this for two reasons. 1) Because they can, and 2) Because usually they will probably last until their warranty is up and it then becomes my problem, or yours, or whoever owns the vehicle in question.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So what did the dealer end up having to do to make it run smooth again? Your truck sounds like the way mines been running lately.Thanks and I hope it got worked out.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Try spending $1600 each injector for remans and when you have them pop tested they fail... Before the distributor sends them to you. I used to go through them like candy. I can sync a fuel rack and set injector travel with my eyes closed.

I will never trust a reman injector and I learned this lesson years before I bought a cummins.

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
I believe they are speaking of common rail injectors, if so these are not pop tested.

Genuine Bosch is the answer, they are re-built to a spec that is equal to a new injector.... Determining if you get them is the problem.

The fact is that Genuine Bosch injectors rarely are delivered in the original box... this is due to the fact that the core is not accepted by Bosch without original package and bar code for credit. This little fact continues to allow deception to take place.

Keep in mind that if you had a contamination issue prior to injector swap and complete, I reiterate complete, cleaning of entire fuel system has not taken place the same result can be achieved as prior to swap within 30 minutes if not sooner. We have seen numerous warranty claims administered by not only end users as well as reputable shops pointing the finger at the re-maned injectors.... only to find debris as the culprit.

It's a tough pill to swallow, but scope pictures tell no lies.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts