Cummins Diesel Forum banner

New Borgeson steering shaft

7K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  deesletx 
#1 · (Edited)
So my truck was needing a new lower steering joint being it was shot. The old joint was causing a thunk in my steering wheel and brake pedal. So I started to look around for a new one and really didn't want factory again. I looked at genos and seen they carry the borgeson steering shaft for the 4th gen rams, and decided to go that route. This thing is definitely Stout and seems to be well built (USA). Very easy to install and took maybe an hour.For anyone needing one here is the part number 000954.

See less See more
#2 ·
interesting. what year truck and how many miles?
my truck has a dense rattle in the steering and i can feel it in the floor board. i am thinking it is my steering shaft. i have already done the joint spacer trick with the aluminum bushings
i have to get under the truck and check all the suspension stuff, like the track bar, etc...

#4 ·
Very nice! Glad to hear it was an easy install.

#10 ·
I keep meaning to get in to check mine. 25,000 kms and mine is doing the same

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

#12 ·
OP,
When you say your shaft was clunking, was it at all the time?
I have a rattle and clunk coming from the front end. I can feel it through the steering wheel and the floor when my foot is either on the brake or the accelerator pedals.
I have checked all the components in my front end and everything is tight and torqued to spec.
shaft seems tight, but i can move it from the engine bay
just wondering if this may be the fix
thanks

#13 ·
OP,
When you say your shaft was clunking, was it at all the time?
I have a rattle and clunk coming from the front end. I can feel it through the steering wheel and the floor when my foot is either on the brake or the accelerator pedals.
I have checked all the components in my front end and everything is tight and torqued to spec.
shaft seems tight, but i can move it from the engine bay
just wondering if this may be the fix
thanks
Mine would do it all the time. I noticed it last year. When I reached down in the engine bay and grabbed the shaft I could easily move it and it would make the clunking sound. you could possibly have the same issue.

#14 ·
Mine has it now too. Started about a month ago, thought it was because I had my tires pumped up to 80 psi after doing some heavy towing and did not deflate back down. Figured I was just picking up more road feel because of the high psi. Deflated and its still there for sure. Same thing where you feel it through the wheel and brake pedal.

I remember having the same issue in my Silverado like 20 years ago. There was play in the shaft and they "fixed" it by shoving in a greased felt washer to pick up the shaft end play.

#15 ·
So, did the new shaft fix the think/loose feeling? I don't think that was mentioned after the install.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

#18 ·
The steering started “popping” when I turned the wheel during the Winter time on my ‘12. I researched it but Borgeson didn’t make this replacement steering shaft at the time. It quit making the noise when the weather warmed and I traded the truck in on an ‘18 (but not for this reason). I love the looks of this Borgeson and I’ll have it installed before I have a problem.

#19 ·
Hey guys I just created an account to chime in here as well. I was looking for pics to make sure I installed this same Borgeson shaft correctly on my 2013 3500 with 75000 miles and found this thread. I had the same awful clunk sound coming since ~40000 miles. Its from the upper aluminum connector right below the dash, there are 2 pins in the aluminum collar that appear to wear a bigger hole over time. Then I think the bearing on the inside starts to deform and then it gets worse. I had it at the dealer a few times the last couple of years to fix and they tried the usual gambit (ball joints, track bar ends, etc). I didn't need any of that crap needless to say. Then I found a couple of aftermarket solutions, one via hammering in aluminum rings around the pins to eliminate the spaces for the pins to move. Seemed like it might work but not sure for how long and seemed like a bit of a hack. Also I wouldn't even dream of using factory parts to fix this unless they changed the design somehow. I put this Borgeson 000954 in and it fixed everything. Steers perfectly now, no clunk, no vibration....amazing. Can't believe I put it with that crap for so long.

Also get yourself the new Mishimoto rad, my factor one failed at ~60k. Plastic garbage tank ends.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.