Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Biggen
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to apologize ahead of time for the long post.

Back in September I had a knock in my engine. So thinking it was a possible injector knock, I pulled the injectors and had them tested. Sure enough, I had a couple not holding pressure and one leaking. Thinking that was the issue, I ordered some new BBI .5 injectors and while I was at it I also ordered new injector tubes, injector lines, fuel rail. Since I was in the top end I thought to myself, why not put in some Hamilton springs and ARP studs. Put all of it together and fired up the truck and still had the knock.

Fast forward, this issue ended up being a bad wrist pin and so the engine was completely rebuilt. The engine builder was able to use all the add-ons I put on. I got my truck back a couple of weeks ago and it runs really good. The only problem I have is that there is a black puff of smoke on start and every shift until RPM's and Boost build. Is this due to the BBI Injectors?

I used to have a Smarty for programming but since the rebuild, I have not added that back on. I would suppose a little bigger turbo such as a Fleece Cheetah or Stealth 64 along with some custom tuning would help with the black smoke or could there be something else wrong?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Just needs to be tuned for the bigger sticks. You didn’t go so big that you need a bigger turbo, but it wouldn’t hurt. The smoke could be cleared up with some custom tuning and get you more power.

Reactions: 02smokin

·
Biggen
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. I am looking into HP Tuners and MM3.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
im in the same boat . i went with the BBI 0.5 injectors because i needed injectors and wanted to upgrade them a little but not go crazy or anything. but i smoke in all gears unless i keep the rpms higher than i use to.now im debating on a turbo for more air. but not sure.

·
Biggen
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im in the same boat . i went with the BBI 0.5 injectors because i needed injectors and wanted to upgrade them a little but not go crazy or anything. but i smoke in all gears unless i keep the rpms higher than i use to.now im debating on a turbo for more air. but not sure.
I am thinking of going with turbo first and then programming.

·
Supporting Vendors
156 Posts
When adding turbos or injectors, custom tuning is the most efficient way to clear things up. If you take a look on BBI's Instagram page, he is utilizing stage 4's with custom tuning. Now granted this took awhile to get the tuning down but these are how clean they can run with the proper tuner behind the scenes.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUhmiVxlGtv/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

·
Biggen
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just ordered a MM3 and tuning from Power Driven Diesel. I will replace my turbo later. Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Reactions: 4everlearning

·
Biggen
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just an update. I received my my tunes from Power Driven Diesel and loaded them. All of the tunes were pretty dirty including the tow tune. I called them up and they they had me pull a log going 0 to 45 mph. After they analyzed the logs it basically came down to that they needed to pull some fuel out of the tunes.

One thing interesting though is that the guy I am working with had never heard of BBI injectors. Had me a little concerned. He also stated that my stock cp3 would probably need to be replaced with a stroker cp3. I am not trying to race this truck. I got the BBI stage .5 injectors for towing. I was not expecting to have to change the cp3. I was more expecting the turbo if anything.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just an update. I received my my tunes from Power Driven Diesel and loaded them. All of the tunes were pretty dirty including the tow tune. I called them up and they they had me pull a log going 0 to 45 mph. After they analyzed the logs it basically came down to that they needed to pull some fuel out of the tunes.

One thing interesting though is that the guy I am working with had never heard of BBI injectors. Had me a little concerned. He also stated that my stock cp3 would probably need to be replaced with a stroker cp3. I am not trying to race this truck. I got the BBI stage .5 injectors for towing. I was not expecting to have to change the cp3. I was more expecting the turbo if anything.

It's possible that the shop just wants to to sell you something more ...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Am also in the same boat(sorta)-went with BBI .5 and a SXE 363 and it smokes @Lower RPMs with smarty jr. on sw3 deletes.
So went to sw1(economy setting) deletes(timing on tm3) still some smoke.
Changed timing(advanced ) to tm4 and it cleared up.
I do attribute the smoke to the slightly bigger BBI .5 and the lag with the 363.
Said all that to say this --the tunes do make a difference.
For me ,I am limited because I have an 04.
Good luck to you and hope it cleans up for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know this is reviving an old thread but I am wondering if you guys went with the MY03 or MY04 injectors. I have been reading that the 04.5 + trucks are less smokey with the old spray pattern??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts