Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I installed two new batteries and I noticed something was not right, the volt meter did not go above 10-12 on my drive to work, normally would run around 14+, also noticed my air dog was louder than normal. Got to work looked under the hood and the passenger battery blew up, acid all over the engine bay. Went and got a new battery and seems to be having the same symptoms, I unhooked the pass. side bat. and it runs just fine, airdog is quiet and volt meter is at 14+. What would be causing this, the alternator is getting hot when both batteries are hooked up, and yes I have positve and neg correct. Did not find any shorts or anything, what would suddenly be causing this?

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
The ecm controls the alt by reading the driver's side. But the alt puts the charge into the passenger's side. Have a good look at the cable that runs across the top of the rad connecting the two.

·
Registered
54 Posts
:agree2: The same thing happened to me a few months ago except for the whole explosion, but the battery was swelled up pretty bad. My check gauges light came on so I pulled over and it was smoking so I called NAPA and they brought me a new one. 20 minutes later I was lucky enough that the truck shut itself off cause the same thing happened. I had to get a rollback and took it to the dealer and the reset the ecm and charged the batteries and she runs perfectly fine now. Good Luck with everything man :thumbsup:

·
Master of Mayhem NASFIG
8,816 Posts
your cable insides are corroded and causing the charging system to overcharge.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Easy way to confirm the crossover cable is to get a set of jumper cables and hook it to both batteries.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I hope you dumped a lot of baking soda on the spill.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will look over the cables again and see if I find anything. Somewhere is a short/resistance but I just dont know where, could it be in the alternator? It is just weird that it works fine when the pass. battery is disconnected, but when its hooked up there is an issue. I am curious about the ECM, could that really have something to do with this?

·
Master of Mayhem NASFIG
8,816 Posts
went thru 2 batteries before i figured out it was a corrosion issue

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,934 Posts
When the alternators go bad on our trucks usually they go supernova and blow one battery or the other apart so I wouldn't be so quick to say cable issue.

I'd have the alternator tested to see if it follows the commands the ECU putting out.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When the alternators go bad on our trucks usually they go supernova and blow one battery or the other apart so I wouldn't be so quick to say cable issue.

I'd have the alternator tested to see if it follows the commands the ECU putting out.
So who can test the ECM/Alternator and see if that would be the issue. Is this something only the dealer can do or would any repair shop have the tools to test this out?

·
Registered
970 Posts
remove the alternator take it to auto part store they can test it for you for free

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,934 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
This cold season, my truck was stalling at stops, after two weeks, I found out it was corrosion on the pass. side ground post. The same post that grounds the engine and ECM, these things need good connections for all the current they carry across the leads for the starter,grids, etc., now I know.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Possibly just possibly found the issue here. I hooked up the Smarty to see if there were any codes, found P2509 code and cleared it out and hooked up the other battery and it seems to be back to normal, not sure if I trust that was the issue but seems to be charging normal, airdog is normal sounding, and terminals are not hot. The old batteries did die trying to start the truck, thats why I replaced them. Could this code actually have been my problem, code says ECM/PCM Power Signal Intermittent.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Your code came from having dead batteries. Get the alt tested like suggested and go through the connections and go from there.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ya I am a little skeptical that was the issue. Having this code could it possibly have been affecting how the ecm/alternator are working. Like by clearing the code does that actually fix anything or is the code just there to tell you there has recently been an issue with something.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've seen numerous shorted alternators smoke batteries, and darn near burn up the wiring harnesses, and the whole vehicle. Get that darn thing tested.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had the same problem. I changed out a perfectly good alternator for nothing. What did the trick for me, was making sure all my battery connections were super clean and shaved. Haven't had any problems for a few months.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts