Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone im new to this site and new to the diesel world. im looking at a 96 auto 12 valve 4x4 with 173xxx on it. its been the original owner since 96 and he said everything is original. only thing replaced was the valve cover gasket. hes asking 7000 but probably can talk him down.

Now my question is that he said it has a cold start??? so when he fires it up, it takes about 10 seconds to fire. it sounds like the starter is getting enough juice and shes turnin but it just wont fire straight up. any suggestions? any help would be greatly appreciated guys, and if yall could, can u send responses in private messages. THANKS!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
plug in the block heater and try to cold start it. If it starts up quick then the glow plug are going bad!

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Cummins don't have glow plugs. They use the grid heater to heat the air going into the intake. But you have the general idea!

·
Banned
2,615 Posts
this is true, and it wouldnt surprise me if nothing has been changed at all im surprised the valve cover gasket has been changed, you should ask him why he had to change it.. and to edit this If you do get it I would make sure it gets a full fluid/filter change..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts