Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i looked around abit looking to see if i could find the same issue that i'm having. I installed air bags on my truck w/compressor for when I tow my 12,000lb 5th wheel toy hauler. It feels like the rear end is lose when I pull with the bags aired up. When I tow w/ it sitting on the overload springs it seems alot more controlable. Just wondering if any one else has had this problem and what they did to fix it. Has anyone ever installed a sway bar in the rear? Thanks in advance!!!

· Registered
702 Posts
When setting up our truck to tow our 5th wheel I did three things to the suspension;

1 - added air bags (with on board compressor),
2 - added a rear anti sway bar (our 01 came stock with one) &
3 - relocated the spacer blocks on the rear axle springs as this link explains Slide Show

The truck does not feel any less stable (towing or not) with 60lbs of air in the bags or 20lbs of air. However with 60lbs of air the ride is a lot more "firm".

The anti sway bar is made by Hellwig and completely bolt on.

Good luck

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks you for your help. I talked to a buddy of mine and he was saying that the set up that I just allows the air to move from one bag to the other. He says there is a way to stop this with a valve controller I think. It looks like thats what i'm going to do. And add a sway bar. Thanks again.

· Registered
702 Posts
"set up allows the air to move from one bag to the other."

It sounds as if the set up you have has a single control - which would explain the problem.

I have the dual control (air supply to each bag is independent) so the air can't move from one side to the other.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.