Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my self a first gen. Since i was born in 93 that was the year I wanted.. Im a rig welder by trade so 4x4 is a must, and a reliable trans so the 5 speed was what I wanted.

Finally found a truck for a decent price and picked it up Sunday. Truck was plugged in when I got there(50*) so i figured it may be tough cranking if it was real cold. Started it up and it white smoked until the engine got warm(10 min) then took it for a drive. Didn't notice any missing or rough running. Speedo was off.

Yesterday I fired it up without being plugged in at 50* and it fired right up but idled a little low and was shaking/white smoking pretty good. I check the exhaust manifold with a laser thermometer and the front cylinder was 30* cooler then the others. Is it safe to assume the injector is bad?

Are the borg warner injectors from o'rileys good quality? It is 90 bucks and will be there in a day. Don't want to risk hurting the engine driving and the smoke is pretty emberessing. The injectors are all supposed to be new along with the ip. So if i can get away with just replacing the one injector I would be happy.

Thanks for any help.. and i have searched about the above things but got no answers.

I have ordered a benny t stage 2 pin, 3200 rpm spring, isspro tach and egt gauge.

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Killer truck!

Since it runs well when it's warm, I wouldn't replace an injector yet. If it has bigger injectors and an adjusted pump it may be delivering more fuel than a cold engine can burn.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Sorry i forgot to mention, injectors and pump are all stock. Never been touched. After the long drive home i let it idle for a few minutes and the engine temp went down to the first notch in the temp gauge. It started smoking white again at that time.

I am going to find a winter front for it and possibly a thermostat.

Is it common to have a bunch of wires coming off the battery?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
My '90 D250 smoked white and shook when it was cold... till it warmed up anyways. Pretty sure that's why he had it plugged in - not because it won't start without it.

IMO, replace the injectors - all of them - with something bigger than stock. Doesn't cost much more. The stock injectors got smaller when they went to the intercooled engine.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
U2slow, thanks for the info. I went out today and cranked it with a 65* temp and it still shook bad and white/blue smoked a lot. Took 15 minutes to stop with the smoking, and if you throttle it the smoke comes back until it goes back to idle.

I will start doing research on what injectors are right for me. Thanks again.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like im going to order some bosch 190 injectors from hungry diesel. He said the spray angle was wrong at 155* instead of 145* but they only will haze if it is cold and still run very good. They are almost half the price of 5x12 injectors and he said they should push a hx35 or similar setup plenty good.

Does this sound like a good move? I will be rigging this truck out with a constant extra 3k lbs on the back and might have to pull my 15k lbs camper one day.

So the 190's should do with egts and keeping fuel economy I hope. Any suggestions please let me know because I don't want to waste the money. I will also be ordering the piston lift pump kit and a fp / boost gauge.

Thanks!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks! Sorry i forgot to mention, injectors and pump are all stock. Never been touched. After the long drive home i let it idle for a few minutes and the engine temp went down to the first notch in the temp gauge. It started smoking white again at that time.

I am going to find a winter front for it and possibly a thermostat.

Is it common to have a bunch of wires coming off the battery?
If go with the bigger injectors. But to answer the second question not her shouldn't be tons of stuff coming off of the battery. I'm assuming he had rigged up speakers/alarm etc? Before you got it?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is a aftermarket radio in the truck but as far as I can tell that is it. Apparently the original owner(recently deceased) was a old old man.

It is 75* out, i cranked it and have to give it a little throttle for it to start and still shook for a minute and smoked.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Cool truck!!!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! I have read your thread on your truck.. very impressive! I would love to go through the interior and paint the red a different color and do the sound deadening stuff. But before I can do that I have to make it reliable. After all this is done I will be raising the truck 4" and doing a crossover system.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Long day, some good and some bad.

To start it off I installed the isspro tach on top of the column. Guessing I have a wire backwards because the gauge only works when the running lights are on and the light on the gauge does not come on. I assume I have the + post hooked up to the running lights instead of a keyed ignition?

Second I installed a 4" turbo back exhaust. Super tight squeeze especially with these worn out front springs.

After that I installed a pyro(not sure why there is a amp box? seems kind of like one more thing to break.. never had a problem without using one)

Installed a benny t stage 2 fuel pin. While pulling the top plate off I broke the boost line at the bottom of the banjo fitting. Hopefully this is not to hard to find.

At the end of the day I am happy with the progress and the added power. As to the injectors I cranked it up and cracked one injector per time and they ALL caused the engine to stumble. This makes me think they are all good? After it gets good and warm the white/blue smoke stops.

Thanks for help and looking forward to next sunday... 3200k rpm spring, boost/fp gauges, possibly injectors, and probably the piston lift pump upgrade.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Forgot to give some details on how its running. I drove it before it was completely warmed up and if I got on it hard it would pop. After it warmed up that stopped and it accelerated good. For having a stage 2 pin and I turned the fuel screw in 1 whole turn. It only blows a puff of smoke(not that I more just figured it would be a lot more smokey).

Kind of thinking my timing might have slipped because of the smoke/cold running/popping and it does not have a lot of grunt when letting out of the clutch.. most diesels or v8's I feel comfortable taking off in second. This truck seems like first is second, you have to be extra easy on letting off the clutch.

Egts hit 1000 degrees in 4th on flat ground not really pushing the throttle very hard. Idles about 350 degrees

·
Registered
477 Posts
The amp box is what translates the signal from the Pyro to the gauge. Some older ones didn't have it, most newer ones do. It may work without it, not really sure. It's easy to wire in, I would use it to be safe. I think there's a coolant passage right next to the #1 cylinder, and that could explain the difference in temp. The white smoke thing sounds like the timing is off, especially on cold starts. I think that's an indication of the timing being too retarded. Sounds like you got your tach issue. It needs to have an ignition source, not a switched positive. That boost line is going to be a buggar to find.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the help Dieselpunk! Good point with the water passage. They recently replaced the pump so I suppose it is a good possibility. I did some searched and found a pic of the boost line being replaced with plastic tubing with compression fittings on the afc cap and the head. I guess I will go that route.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Forgot the bigger "bad" part of the day. While installing my tach I accidently shorted a couple of the wires coming from the tach loom. After this my blinkers do not work, the parking brake light is on, and the abs light is on. Did i fry the ECM?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts