Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

New 6.7L Bootloader Flash????

3213 Views 17 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  AH64ID
I just updated my Power Pup for my 6.7 L cummins diesel. In order to update it, I had to program my truck back to stock setting. After updating the Power Pup to most recent program (on 06/20/08), when I plug it into my truck, it now says "Warning: TSB found there is a new Bootloader Flash for the 6.7L. It is required to receive this from your auto dealer before trying the product." What do I do? I can't call the dealer and say that my performance chip wants me to get a Bootloader Flash....then they will know that I have a performance module and may void my warranty? I don't know what to do??.....suggestions??

Anybody heard of this new Bootloader Flash?

Thanks a bunch in advance for your help/suggestions.

Brandt
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
320 Posts
Are you able to just get on the website and re-install the previous version? I dont remember Its been awhile since I had the BD.

· Registered
723 Posts
Get ahold of Keven at K2, I'm pretty sure he has the older version of the Bully software. You can also call Bully dog, they should be able to email it too you.

· Washington Chapter Vice President
5,035 Posts
It said that when i loaded one on to mine. You just hit ok and skip it. You may wait for some others to chime in for sure, since i only tried it the once.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Diagnostic code light staying on on the dash and bully pup will not clear the diagnostic even when cued to do so. I wonder if that is why it will not install again?? Some EGR codes?? Sound like that may be it guys?

· Registered
469 Posts
Yeah, dont worry about that, when I put a triple dog on my previous truck (5.9), I called Bully dog and my buddy who is service manager at the dodge dealership and they both said dont worry about it. I skipped it and installed and never had an issue! Worked great! :peelout

· Registered
60 Posts
Same problem

I had the same problem yesterday. I recieved my new power pup, updated as instructed and got the same notice. It will not let you install, once warning appears no buttons on the power pup are responsive. Please help, I have a useless programmer at this point.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have owned a Cummins for the past 14 years and have just bought an 08. I am not a mechanic and do not understand the computing dynamics of programmers. However, I watched the video that came with my truck and it was clear that the new trucks computer systems can recall what has been altered. The good news is that diesel power mag had an article stating that chip manufacturers have developed new models for the 08 Dodge diesel. If they have done that,they must have found way around the detection process because most people who spend $40,000.00 on a vehicle will not sacrifice that type of warranty for a $500.00 chip. I would press the chip manufacturer for a solution.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, once the warning notice appears on my power pup, after updating, it will not allow me to intall it either. I cannot just ignore the warning and install it anyway. As "dieselfumes" pointed out, once the warning appears, every button on the power pup becomes unresponsive. Anybody have any solutions and more people with similar problems?

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any diagnostic lights on your dash lit up right now, before attempting to install the powerpup? Sounds like we have same problem, but I have a diagostic light on my dash lit up. Powerpup will not clear it either. May have to take it in to the dealer to clear diagostic code.

· Registered
60 Posts
I had no trouble codes either before or after the attempted install of the power pup. I have taken off my edge for the G30 update at the dealer, but they have put me off for about a week until a module arrives. Does anyone know if the G30 update will fix the bootloader problem?

5,035 Posts
the G30 is just a replacement O2 sensor module. Now if they update you to the latest flash then that might help you out. Have them do that while they do the G30.

· Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,449 Posts
Any diagnostic lights on your dash lit up right now, before attempting to install the powerpup? Sounds like we have same problem, but I have a diagostic light on my dash lit up. Powerpup will not clear it either. May have to take it in to the dealer to clear diagostic code.
Use the CEL as the reason for bringing your truck into the service department at your dealer and tell them that while they are working on it you want the latest flash update (AX designation for 07.5 model trucks, AP designation for 08 model year MANUAL transmission trucks, AQ designation for 08 model year AUTOMATIC transmission trucks). Having the latest flash should take care of your not-loading problem. If not, PM Bud Kunz on here. He is a program writer for Bully Dog and can email you basically any version you want of the Power Pup.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry, but what is CEL? Thanks too for the tip. I have noticed a significant decrease in power also, especially while towing.

5,035 Posts
CEL = Check Engine Light

Decrease in power may be a derating of the engine. Take it in ASAP.

· Registered
133 Posts
i have heard that if you get the bootloader update the edge wont work. i dont know if its true but i just bought the power pup and wanted to stack it with my edge and the same thing happened.

· Registered
723 Posts
The edge will work fine. The edge doesn't change any programing, it just reads data and clears codes just like your cheap code reader you get from walmart. It's an inline module that manipulates injector pulses and map signals, it is controlled via the attitude monitor or 3 position switch. That's the whole reason the edge won't calibrate the speedo, enable the idle up or mobile desoot functions that programers will.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.