Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My #12 cel p2000 came on yesterday so i went to my friend at the dealer to turn it off. While I was there we called Cummins and spoke to thier head tech. He said that a new flash will be out in may targeting the P2000 and they are developing new shielded O2 sensors. My friend also said that when he left school last week that his instuctor said that by 2010 or 2012 that all diesels will have to retroed to dpf!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I doubt that they will force retros, think of the political problem of telling the voting public that they have to go spend thousands of dollars to add an emissions device that was not required when the vehicle was built. I could see all new diesels having dpf's and a visual emissions control program, if not a sniffer program in some states (California..how long have they had it now...25 years?) Besides, I am not sure you could even retro a dpf to some of the earlier diesels at all, not to mention the liability that no shop would want to take on for installing new fuel lines and electronics on vehicles with 30-350,000 miles on them. I think the instructor is sniffing the soot too much....

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
That will never happen. They will NEVER be able to force you to add something that did not come from the factory. When Cats came out they have never forced older vehicles to install one. Somebody was mistaken :)

·
Registered
638 Posts
I doubt that they will force retros, think of the political problem of telling the voting public that they have to go spend thousands of dollars to add an emissions device that was not required when the vehicle was built.
They may not have to force it. the local school system here is voluntarily installing them on the busses. They've earmarked some ridiculous amount of money in the budget, which unfortunatley just passed on the first round last night, to install the dpf's, and they've got such a slant on their rational it's unreal. I read the article a few weeks back and just about fell outta my chair. Another great use of my hard-earned and ever increasing tax dollars!

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
There was a recent story in the news out here about one of the waste management (trash) companies going to emissions equipment on their older trucks.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'm glad to see they have a permanent solution for the P2000. My O2 sensor was replaced a couple weeks ago but I expect to see the P2000 return until the real fix is done.

I can foresee a similar situation with the turbos. Lots of folks getting replacements that are no different than the original unit. Seems like a revolving door unless they come out with a new design. Hope they get it fixed right before Chrysler goes bankrupt.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'd be more than happy to sell anyone my old dpf. I can thank Al Gore for this one. The best part of blowing smoke now is that it may piss some greeny off.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
these companies that are doing this are going to crap when they see there fuel bills rise by 25% or more after the dpf install!! DID anyone tell them about that???

As for retrofitting, I almost wish that would go through so we could see the anarchy start!! Could you see the guy with the $1200 stainless 5" system have to scrap it all to get worse milage and less power???

Chris

·
Registered
24 Posts
California is mandating DPF retrofits for lots of diesels including off-road equipment. I don't think this applies to pre-07 on road trucks but they have the authority [under the Clean Air Act] to do it if they want. Fleet owners in CA are screaming mad right now.

The crazy lefties in Kalifornia DO NOT CARE about anything but their wacky political agenda and yes, they can ram it down your throats.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Any info on when this fix for the O2 senser will be out? Just got the my third cell yesterday. I think that it has been the P2000 all three times. I know it's p2000 this time.

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
O2

Cummins said it is something that they are developing didnt say when it would be finished

1 - 12 of 12 Posts