Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just signed up to the forum. Found a 2018 3500 with the Aisin and am looking for some input on a few things. This is my first diesel and I’m looking to have this truck for many many years.

I am looking for advice on what to change my fuel filters / water separators / oil filters to. I have heard the CAT filters are a commonly used part on this engine. Also, what oil are most of you guys running in your 6.7s? I will be driving about 12k annually, mostly highway however I do have some infrequent town driving to handle that the truck will not be fully up to temp for prior to shutoff. Looking for a good all around stout oil.

In terms of deleting the truck, I am planning on doing this before I hit 5k miles. The dealer I purchased the truck from was adiment that this will not void warranty, as long as I am not modifying any actual engine components. Is this correct, or is this ludacris.

Before I am able to delete, I am looking to add a cold air intake and a banks monster ram. Given that I have the aisin I am not planning on running anything crazy on this truck as a clean long life is my goal. I have seen the banks testing results and am looking for input on wether the banks cold air is worth it, or if anyone is running an afe intake to keep the function of the active air. My intent with an intake and monster ram is to simply let the truck breathe cleanly and hear some more fun sounds. Also - is there any benefit or negative impact to my 6.7 if I am to remove the intake baffle in the time being?

Any other advice is much appreciated, like I said this is my first diesel - I have a case of hot shot every day additive and am planning on a long healthy life for this truck.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
From my little bit of reading and experience factory filters are good filters. But I’ll stick around to see what others have to say.

As far as oil I run rotella 15-40 al year round in my semi(I’m in Canada and it gets cold) but they start in a warm (5 Celsius) shop. As far as my ctd it’s running 15-40 rotella right now and once it gets cold probably swap to 0-40 t6 rotella.

The factory intake allows the truck to breath just fine. It doesn’t have breathing issues till north of 500hp. A less restrictive filter system is just that. It will let in fine particles. I’d suggest sticking with the stock box. They also pull air from the engine compartment. Stock box pulls air from fender or grill. Not sure how it decides.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
In terms of deleting the truck, I am planning on doing this before I hit 5k miles. The dealer I purchased the truck from was adiment that this will not void warranty, as long as I am not modifying any actual engine components. Is this correct, or is this ludacris.

Before I am able to delete, I am looking to add a cold air intake and a banks monster ram. Given that I have the aisin I am not planning on running anything crazy on this truck as a clean long life is my goal. I have seen the banks testing results and am looking for input on wether the banks cold air is worth it, or if anyone is running an afe intake to keep the function of the active air. My intent with an intake and monster ram is to simply let the truck breathe cleanly and hear some more fun sounds. Also - is there any benefit or negative impact to my 6.7 if I am to remove the intake baffle in the time being?

Any other advice is much appreciated, like I said this is my first diesel - I have a case of hot shot every day additive and am planning on a long healthy life for this truck.

Thanks in advance
Warranty on powertrain will be gone.
5-40w syn will cover you through out your ambient temps.
Intake horn etc... is fluff under the hood, especially with the stock charger. Fuel additives are for people who want to feel good. Anti-gell May be a useful additive in winter.

Reactions: dirtRoads

·
Premium Member
2,254 Posts
No reason to delete. Leave it alone and keep your warranty. Delete and time immediately voids the warranty. Plus no tunes for the Aidan. It will not like any additional power. Anyone on here with Aisin problems is due to deleting. These trucks run forever stock.

For filters the factory system is great. Cold air intake is worthless. S&B is the only one I would consider with their dry filter. Run fleetgaurd or mopar oil and fuel filters.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want to delete to keep my engine from choking on itself over time, I’ve obviousky heard of problems after deleting but if done right I’m told they can be avoided.

I’m not entirely concerned with voiding warranty as there are fantastic Cummins performance shops out by me here in Ohio. What problems are folks running into with a deleted aisin? I am looking to run nothing more than a 5hp or 0hp “tune” just to allow the truck to function after deleted.

How about the air intake baffle? Any issues removing this?

·
Registered
814 Posts
How about the air intake baffle? Any issues removing this?
This has been discussed over the years but none of us have first-hand knowledge of why it is there, many theories though. One thing is for certain, it is an expensive baffle and if it wasn't needed it wouldn't be there. Why it is there, seems the consensus is to present non-turbulent airflow to the turbo.

Some say removing it allows the turbo to be heard better, others didn't notice any difference including me.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Deleting causes issues. These trucks are built to have the emissions crap in place. If your after a reliable truck then leave it alone. If your after power and don’t care about reliability the delete it.

If the truck was built without emissions, then yes, it’d be more reliable. Problem is it is designed from the ground up with that stuff so removing it inherently causes issues.

Don’t ruin a brand new truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
If your looking to spend money on the new truck then a nice coil level and shock setup would be a good place. Nice mudflaps to protect the body and some nice steps.

But like mentioned don’t pull a new truck apart. At least give it a year before you delete incase any issues arise.

The way I understand it the turbo is the restrictive part of these trucks. And it can produce more power than your trans can handle. So logically spending any money is pointless. And will decrease the life of the truck.

·
Registered
320 Posts
good advice here...I hope you listen and don't do the delete or air intake mods.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate the advice guys don’t get me wrong. I by no means am heart set on deleting the truck. It has 289 miles on it and is going to be a garage queen for the time being.

I’m just wondering how the concensus here differed from the shops I have spoken with. A contact has a 3500 dually with the aisin on compounds and a +80hp tune with zero issues for the past 80k miles (and they romp on it)

To reiterate, I want a 0hp I crease in tune, simple to remove the egr cooler and put a straight pipe on the truck. How is this altering anything to the point where I’ll cause problems ?

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Deleting isn’t going to ruin his truck. Quit it guys.

It’s his decision. Present him with facts not garbage scare tactics.

The facts are that your power train warranty is gone if you delete. Period. FCA isn’t going to, nor should they, warranty the power train on a truck that’s been modified from stock engine parameters. The fact is that items downstream of the engine are designed around a certain power output. Increase the power going through and you increase the wear on components. Upgrade appropriately and you’ll have long lasting components.

Another fact is that many states do emission testing. Your truck won’t pass that deleted.

Finally, one last point to ponder. If you plan on using the truck commercially, you may eventually get checked running through a state, like California, that cares. Fines can be hefty.

If none of those items concerns or applies to you, have at it. We still live in a country where personal property has some small meaning.

That all said (and this is coming from a guy who up to this point has deleted every 6.7 he’s owned), these trucks are stone cold reliable stock. The reverse scare tactics telling you to delete for economy and reliability are just as garbage.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I appreciate the input here ^ I didn’t just stumble across a 3500 with an aisin and buy it instead of a corolla... I’ve wanted a Cummins for over a decade now and was finally able to pull the trigger. I’ve done plenty of research and learned a ton prior to joining here.

I am simply looking for info regarding what oil to use, when / if I delete how the aisin will handle a 0-50hp tune and if an intake is worth it (which it doesn’t sound like)

Any members on here have deleted aisin trucks without any issues? For reference I am in Ohio about an hour from firepunk.

Here is the truck

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,254 Posts
I appreciate the input here ^ I didn’t just stumble across a 3500 with an aisin and buy it instead of a corolla... I’ve wanted a Cummins for over a decade now and was finally able to pull the trigger. I’ve done plenty of research and learned a ton prior to joining here.

I am simply looking for info regarding what oil to use, when / if I delete how the aisin will handle a 0-50hp tune and if an intake is worth it (which it doesn’t sound like)

Any members on here have deleted aisin trucks without any issues? For reference I am in Ohio about an hour from firepunk.

Here is the truck
Nice looking truck. Run any good oil that meets spec. I like T6 it is suitable for all weather conditions. Most believe it comes prefilled with delo synthetic. First oil analysis on mine suggested that is true

Run high quality fleetgaurd or mopar filters.

No gain from air intake mods.

The egr in these new motors is so small the soot issues are gone. The sevice manual dropped cleaning the egr cooler as a result.

I would spend the money on other mods as mentioned. Keep your warranty and if something fails post warranty then delete.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I’m not saying a delete will ruin a truck. I will prob delete mine post warranty .... if I can wait lol but mine is near 70k km so I just suggest you get some miles on it and try push out any issues first.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice looking truck. Run any good oil that meets spec. I like T6 it is suitable for all weather conditions. Most believe it comes prefilled with delo synthetic. First oil analysis on mine suggested that is true

The egr in these new motors is so small the soot issues are gone. The sevice manual dropped cleaning the egr cooler as a result.

I would spend the money on other mods as mentioned. Keep your warranty and if something fails post warranty then delete.
I will be changing my oil for the first time around 3K - thank you for the input.

Any feedback on CAT filters?

Regarding the EGR cooler being "small" does this mean I should not be subconsciously concerned with the amount of soot ingested back into the engine? This is all I am looking to avoid with deleting my truck. I am looking to avoid even a slight start to clogging up the internals of my truck, if this isn't an issue please school me.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Lot of good advice and info here. If you are planning on towing on regular basis, definitely wouldn't delete, the fines and worry...not worth it! If you are hauling a lot on regular basis, should not have any issues with emissions systems. If you are just using the truck as a daily driver, back and forth to work, with little or no towing, then issues with emissions do come into play. There are workarounds, run truck ever once in a while with exhaust brake on, to clean out the turbo, get in some highway miles, etc. Keep stock intake, run MOPAR or Fleetguard fuel/oil filters, abide by mfg's maintenance schedule, you will have a good running truck for a long time.
Personally, my truck is a daily driver, very little towing. So I made my decisions based on that. As for tuning, you can run highest horsepower setting you want, just depends on how you drive the truck as to whether you trash the tranny or not. I am runnning 160 HP tune, for 4 months now, with stock 68RFE tranny, no issues. But I drive the truck very sensibly, no racing. I like the high HP tunes, for the quick acceleration plus improved MPG. I get 21+ mpg, city/highway, daily driving to work.

Good luck, enjoy!

·
Premium Member
2,254 Posts

I will be changing my oil for the first time around 3K - thank you for the input.

Any feedback on CAT filters?

Regarding the EGR cooler being "small" does this mean I should not be subconsciously concerned with the amount of soot ingested back into the engine? This is all I am looking to avoid with deleting my truck. I am looking to avoid even a slight start to clogging up the internals of my truck, if this isn't an issue please school me.
No clue most use fleetgaurd. They make the mopars as well and can be found pretty reasonably priced at genos or on amazon.

The egr recirculated is a lot less on these trucks. That is why you do not see the mpg improvement you saw on the previous 2013 trucks when they were deleted.

I would not fix it if is not broken.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I want to delete to keep my engine from choking on itself over time
Absolutely BS. I think there is a lot of bad advice out there from the "old school" diesel owners or mechanics who just don't understand and/or like modern technology. Talking with older Ford diesel owners, I've been called a moron or idiot because I stated I can go 15,000 miles between oil changes with my Cummins. Uh, that is what the owners manual says and also right on Cummins web page. But when you are dealing with old Ford diesel owners, they have older "dirty" motors that have soot clogging problems, fuel dilution into the oil, etc. For them, DELETE, DELETE, DELETE! is their immediate thought for any diesel. But this type of advice does not apply to all motors and certainly not the modern Cummins. Hell, there have even been threads on this forum about "good" diesel mechanics recommending adding transmission fluid to the fuel tank to help lube the fuel system and engine innards :grin2:

So I get the impression that with this being your first diesel, you might be getting a lot of "good advice" from people who do not own a modern Cummins. Delete away, but I think you are taking a huge chance with throwing away a perfectly good warranty.

And as others have stated, the air intake system on these trucks is enormously over built, so adding a cold air will probably result in only increasing your intake noise. If you delete and tune, you might be able to take advantage of it, but judging by what you said you are going to do with the truck, I think you would be better off with just getting a louder exhaust system.

In the end it looks as though you could be deleting, voiding your warranty, and adding performance parts to just to "commute" 12k miles a year. I personally see a very diminished return of investment at a cost of thousand of dollars when you add in the loss of factory warranty. I have to agree with the others and say wait to delete until at least your warranty has run out. Even then, I'm not sure what improvements (if any) you really get out of it if you aren't doing it to significantly increase performance, which is an entirely different kettle of fish.

I don't think you are going to destroy your truck by deleting and you will find plenty of expert advice on what others have done to accomplish it. So either way, enjoy! :thumbup:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Honestly all I’m looking for with deletes is / was to keep the engine clean clean clean. If this is the reality with deleting, all I am left with is wanting some more noise out of this thing.

What are my best options for an exhaust system if this is the case? Would I be looking for a dpf back system in 4 or 5 in to match the factory piping?

Any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
2,254 Posts
Honestly all I’m looking for with deletes is / was to keep the engine clean clean clean. If this is the reality with deleting, all I am left with is wanting some more noise out of this thing.

What are my best options for an exhaust system if this is the case? Would I be looking for a dpf back system in 4 or 5 in to match the factory piping?

Any recommendations?
Not going to get much more noise out of it. It is a straight pipe after the dpf and scr. No muffler that I am aware of.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts