Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you buy a truck that has been in the dealers lot for 400 days. The cost right now is 38500. It’s brand new. Any pros or cons on this?

·
Registered
27 Posts
For whatever reason there seems to be a bunch of new 2018s still on dealer lots. If the price is right and it still has a full warranty I’d go for it.

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
Would you buy a truck that has been in the dealers lot for 400 days. The cost right now is 38500. It’s brand new. Any pros or cons on this?
Only pros, Snatch it.

·
Registered
7,102 Posts

·
Registered
12,259 Posts
Have them change the oil/filter prior to taking it.
Why? The official oil-must-be-changed clock doesn't start until someone buys the vehicle.

But as N of 60 pointed out, the DEF could be a different story. Even though there's no official you-must-use-up-your-DEF-by clock.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just bought a new 2018 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Laramie with Aisin. This thing is loaded and saved over $15k from an equivalent 2019. This is my first Ram truck, came from years of GM's. So far I really like it. only 150 mi so far and cant wait to pull my 16k lbs toyhauler next month. You can get a new 18 for used prices.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kind of what I was looking for. If it’s still there and we can make the deal I’ll do it. Didn’t think about the DEF so thank you for reminding me of that. It’s just a Tradesman with Chrome package but it what I could afford and like.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Ok, do both. The condensation from sitting for for so long, may not be a big deal, but I ask just the same.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The a really good deal. Do it, with the 2020s hitting the lots the dealer are almost giving away old stock. Good time to buy and save.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dealerships around here store their inventory at remote locations, some are dirt lots with overgrown weeds and bushes.
I would be concerned with possible rodent damage on a vehicle that has been sitting out on a dirt lot for such a long time.

Not very likely to happen but if it does, then what?

Warranty is not going to cover it because you can't prove it happened before you bought it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought a RAM from a dealer in Birmingham Alabama. it had been on the lot for a while, not sure why, but it was a previous year model still new, I think the story they told me was a customer bought it and returned it the next day...some reason I cant remember why. It was a great deal. full warranty, maybe 200 miles on it.

I bought it on a Friday, Saturday morning the dealership called me and wanted me to sign a form that says they told me the engine had been replaced...(which they did not tell me).

long story short, they replaced the engine because during dealer transfer the guys drove it with no oil in it. they had not been able to sell it telling the truth so they just hid it hoping I would comply. I got an attorney and I got a brand new current year truck. dealership was really crooked and has a terrible reputation, they were new at the time.

my point is...if it seems to be too good of a deal, it probably is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You could, if you showed the dealer the mouse turds (or whatever evidence) before you drive off.
Are you saying that if you saw rat turds in and around the truck you would simply notify the dealer, go ahead with the deal and risk the possibility of the truck going back for a warranty wiring harness replacement in the near future?

·
Registered
12,259 Posts
No, I would make sure the dealer knew that there might be/is rodent damage.

As far as going back for warranty work, it'd have to be pretty damn bad before I did that. Think blown up engine or trans.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I just pick up an 18, 3500 with only 19 miles on it, they had it mark down to $49,xxxx so yeah I would do it, it was an SLT but it had more option than my 17's Big Horn.

·
Registered
18,928 Posts
Great deal. I got a boy that wants one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I acquired a leftover 2018 that had been on a dealers back lot. It was an order out that a customer cancelled. Brand new, full warranty at less than used prices, with just 62 miles on it.

Get the DEF system drained and the injector cleaned - DEF has a limited shelf life, in vehicle or on the shelf.

If the truck has what you're looking for in terms of options, then yes. You'll have miles of smiles.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts