Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need some pro tips, this is my first 12 valve, i've owned a 6.7 cummins, and a powerjoke. but this thing is a whole new beast. the owner before me i cant track down, so i'm at a loss for information.. it " looks" stock to me, but it doesn't drive stock. its a 96 2wd. the trans is odd, it feels like the first three gears are all one gear, then the lock up switch is on the floor? behind the break pedal. the factory lift pump has been bypassed and a 5/8" line routed from the top of the tank to the injection pump.

why would somebody bypass the lift pump in these trucks? i dont see an aux pump by the tank, just a fuel line. atm there is no way i can see pressures until my gauges get here, the only vauge information i got is it does have a set of 100 hp injectors. the engine sounds good, no blow by. i can't tell if the trans has been worked on or not, i've had several semi built trucks and i'm at a loss with this one. turbo is a brand new hx40.

any ideas? thanks in advance. truck has 223k

·
Registered
17,340 Posts
Although the p-pump won't fail like a VP-44 without lift pump pressure it still needs a lift pump for normal operation. A PO may have wasted the money on an electric pump, perhaps mounted on the frame. The term 100 hp injectors means nothing. Injector hole size, number and spray angle is info that you need. I suggest you spend some time here. Beginners Thread - Read First!

·
Registered
687 Posts
They could have, potentially, dropped in a 98+ sending unit cylinder with an in-tank pump? I seem to recall a recent thread where somebody said that was an option for the 24Vs. You'd need to replace the actual 'sending unit' (the plastic bit with the float) with a 94-97 part, but everything is mechanically compatible. It'd be a fairly easy 'mod' (though, WHY one would do it, I don't know.) Actually I guess the 94-97 gasser ones would probably work too...

Our trucks do not (I believe, I'm a little fuzzy on automatic transmission things) have stock manual lockup switches, and using a floor-mount brights switch from an old car is not unheard of for adding one in... What do you mean by "the first three gears are all one gear"?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Automatics of this generation don't have manual lockup switches from the factory. There is the OD-lockout switch on the dash, but no lockup switch for the converter.

I suspect the OP means he doesn't notice the 1-2 or 2-3 shift - either on the tach or seat-of-pants.

·
Registered
6 Posts
it feels like the first three gears are all one gear, I had a 2001 that did this. Sometimes didn't downshift to first at stop. I took it to a transmission guy who said there is a solenoid or valve (I don't remember) that is a somewhat common failure. Fixed me up with tranny service for about $300.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If your trans is stacking gears. 123 feel like one gear. Try adjusting the TV cable. It controls shift points, and trans fluid pressure .If out of adjustment it can blow the trans.
Heres a vid of the basics
The TPS or throttle position sensor is also used by the trans the trans to control shifting and lock up. It should be adjusted also. IIRC there is how to stuff in the tech section for more info on both adjustments.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts