Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an 06 2500 with the 5.9 and want to do some upgrades for fuel mileage and power but don't wanna get crazy with it any suggestions?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Simple. Contact a reputable efi tuner . Search function will net you multiple threads asking exactly what you are asking. I run a 60hp dd tow tune that is smooth and powerfull.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Simple. Contact a reputable efi tuner . Search function will net you multiple threads asking exactly what you are asking. I run a 60hp dd tow tune that is smooth and powerfull.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Excuse my lack of knowledge but how would I do that and/or where plus the wife has me on a strict budget

·
Registered
805 Posts
look up efi tuners of this forum there are a ton of threads. I suggest leaving it stock and keeping money in the bank. if you are on a strict budget anything you do will be a lot of money. in my experience not much improves fuel economy besides your right foot unless you do significant changes.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
These guys are speaking the truth . There really aren't any specific things you can do to increase your mileage over stock . Your right foot is the biggest thing you can control for mpg . These trucks in stock form will be plenty for you and save you a ton of money , believe me . The best thing you can do is add some additional fuel filtration , to help give your injectors some extended life . The front end is another story . If you have time , do a lot of reading in here and you'll get a feel as to where to spend your money , if that is the path you choose . There is nothing you can think of about these trucks that hasn't already been discussed . The search feature is an invaluable tool , its located at the top left of every page . Tons of great information in here if you use it . Good luck with your new truck :thumbsup: Brian .

Reactions: Beardman

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
congrats and welcome to the dark side.
bet you find way to squirrel away some $$ now. :)
anyway 1st and foremost what are you getting for mpg now?
forget about the overhead it MIGHT be close but we don't call it a lie-o-meter for nothing.
Hand calced mpg ONLY.
is it stock?
Including tire size, lifted or not, etc.?
Fill in your signature (user cp) with the truck details and or mods that way every time you post all the info is there for us. year, trans type, 2x4/4x4, long bed/short bed, mods etc.
No re-typing.
proper tire inflation, correct front end alignment (less work pushing tires straight ahead rather than scrubbing), and foremost:
peak mpg will be seen with the revs between 1600-1800 on the highway, 2000 as a max. the more you go over 2000 the lower your mpg (mpg will drop FAST the more the revs are over 2000).
Speed also kills mpg see here: Mpg For Speed - Fuel Efficiency Vs. Speed
get into the highest gear possible as soon as possible.
diesels are torque monsters. let the torque do the work not the revs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well thanks everyone I am gonna be having about $1500 to spend here pretty soon I was thinkin an h&s mini max with a straight pipe

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry signature didn't go up it's a 06 megacab short bed 2wd 6 speed stock rims and tires

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mega B - with your Mopar Severe Duty setup w/ CAT 2 mic. filter , are you stock back to the tank? Or have to add some parts to push the fuel through that 2 mic filter?
I want to add filtration to my stock '06 but don't want to spend $$ to change out more parts.
Just curious too, what mpg's you get around town? Mine is killing me with only 12 mpg.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Well thanks everyone I am gonna be having about $1500 to spend here pretty soon I was thinkin an h&s mini max with a straight pipe
With that budget, get EFI Live w/CSP5 switch, a GDP MK2 Filter setup and you still have leftover $$ if you want an exhaust. Talk to Phil from Anarchy, that's where I got my EFI from and I love the setup.

·
Registered
805 Posts
get gauges before anything and h&s doesn't program these trucks that well. you best bet would be efi but if not that smartly is the second best imo. from there you need to beef up trans or clutch before you can use tunes safely. its really a domino effect but start with gauges and be prepared to spend a whole lot more money than anticipated!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Welcome. I recently bought an 06 also. They are right about the search feature, i have used it a lot. thats why i only have 43 posts in a little over two months. I did exhaust first because it was all hacked up . next I put on an older edge programmer I picked up for 200 bucks . it will be temporary until I can get an EFI setup.

there is a lot of good information here and again welcome to the forum .

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
still don't know what you are getting right now for MPG.
can't help if you don't answer the questions.
for all we know you could be in the upper limits of what you should expect.
for example ....if you are getting a hand calculated 23-24 mpg RIGHT now you're about done.
12 on the other hand you're just getting started.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Added timing from either a Smarty or a TST PowerMax-CR will help mileage a little, and can be used to add power.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts