Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions for those that have either my year or similar diesel in Washoe County. I have a 2001 2500 HO 6Spd QCLB 4x4. I have a TST/MVP stack with just a 4 inch turbo exhaust. I might be moving soon because of work I am going to be staying with a friend that lives in Reno in 89506. I am trying to see what I need to do for smog. Do I have to remove my TST/MVP inspect it that put it back on or is it all visual and dyno test. I know California is a**l and everything has to have a C.A.R.B. sticker. Those who have twins setups how do you pass if you pass or you "except" areas of washoe county. I have to get all this done in about 12 weeks but just trying to see if its easier than CA or am I going to have to pull everything, take off my BHAF put stock box on, remove my custom harness for my TST/MVP pass smog and than put everything back in. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have a few questions for those that have either my year or similar diesel in Washoe County. I have a 2001 2500 HO 6Spd QCLB 4x4. I have a TST/MVP stack with just a 4 inch turbo exhaust. I might be moving soon because of work I am going to be staying with a friend that lives in Reno in 89506. I am trying to see what I need to do for smog. Do I have to remove my TST/MVP inspect it that put it back on or is it all visual and dyno test. I know California is a**l and everything has to have a C.A.R.B. sticker. Those who have twins setups how do you pass if you pass or you "except" areas of washoe county. I have to get all this done in about 12 weeks but just trying to see if its easier than CA or am I going to have to pull everything, take off my BHAF put stock box on, remove my custom harness for my TST/MVP pass smog and than put everything back in. :banghead::banghead::banghead:
Did you end up moving? I can say for certain CARB stickers, fortunately, mean nothing here. Aftermarket cats, intakes, turbos, etc. will all pass.

I fled from that POS state about 18 months ago and haven't looked back. I live in Reno, and have now smogged my '97 twice here. I was under the impression Washoe county had a visual inspection, so each time I have smogged my truck, I shoved a $40 cat off Amazon in the tailpipe, and re-installed my EGR (my '97 is a CA truck so it came with that trash from the factory). I passed both times.

The results sheet from my last test, however, has "N/A" for both EGR Valve and Catalyst under "Visual Tampering Checklist." I called up the shop after the fact, and he said if it lists "N/A," it's not something they check for.

Can anyone verify if NV does a visual inspection? I've read in many different places they do, which contradicts this shop I went to. I'm inclined to think they do, but VIN's before a certain year are maybe exempt from the visual? This is the only explanation I can think of.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
A '97 12v would not be subject to smog at all in California. Now the registration...too high as is everything here.

·
Registered
190 Posts
A '97 12v would not be subject to smog at all in California. Now the registration...too high as is everything here.
Right - this was actually one of the primary reasons I bought my truck in the first place.

I'm unclear on the rules here in NV, though. I've read they do visual inspections, but this is contrary to what the last smog shop I went to told me. I'd been retrofitting my EGR & cat solely for testing, thinking it was required. If I don't hear someone confirming otherwise, I think I'll roll the dice and go back to the previous shop I went to last year when next reg is due.

I really hope I don't need my EGR - I just installed a Steed Speed manifold so remounting the EGR is now a 2-3 hour job rather than a 10 minute one.

·
Suffers from Black Lung
1,240 Posts
For diesels, there is a visual inspection. On 1994-1997 you best have your cat if you do not want an instant fail. Doesn't matter if it is factory or aftermarket, but it needs to have all its emission to pass.

If it had any form of emissions from 1968 or newer, they will look for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts