Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just bought a 2014 Ram 3500 6.7 long bed and want to get some good looking quality nerf bars for the truck. I have 3 inch round Westin chrome nerf bars on my other Dodge 2500 Cummins and they have been been a great accessory. I have noticed there are other brands like Raptor etc out there I'm not familiar with that appear to be a quality product. My new Ram 3500 crew cab is a lot bigger than my 2500 extended cab so I'm thinking about going to a bigger tube and wider foot pad for my wife to climb into the cab. Anyone have any recommendations on size of tube and manufacturer. I kind of like the oval chrome nerb bars but need suggestions on size and company to go with. Quality and looks is my first priority and price second. Thanks ...Joe:blues::blues:

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
A good question as I am in the market as well.
I would like something that helps protect against door dings.A fat woman in a Caddy flung open her door,then mouthed an "I'm sorry."
Luckily it didn't contact the truck as she was a foot into another space, but she sure seemed to try.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I bought the Raptor 5" Black for my '14. I liked them because they bolt on at the cab and body, so they are very solid. $270 shipped. Hard to pass up at that deal. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
801 Posts
If you've never used the hoop style nerf bars I would try it out. They make it real easy to get in the cab and look better in my opinion. I got Westin Gen-X steps but other manufacturers of this style include Go Rhino and Nfab

Reactions: scott534 and Mruark

·
Registered
2,197 Posts

Nice color choice! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I have some RBP RX3 bars on the way ( finally shipped yesterday !!) I'll post pictures as soon as I get them on.... They were the only bars I seen that I liked. They were much larger than typical step bars. Check them out.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I have some RBP RX3 bars on the way ( finally shipped yesterday !!) I'll post pictures as soon as I get them on.... They were the only bars I seen that I liked. They were much larger than typical step bars. Check them out.

Those look nice,kind of a mix of running board and nerf bar.
The reviews look mixed,looking forward to your report.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Mine came with the factory bars and work and look good.

·
Registered
218 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am looking at getting a set of the Raptors 4 or 5 in. What I like about them is they are stainless steel, no plastic end caps, they mount with no drilling to the factory cab mounts and hold 500 LBS. Most I looked at would hold 300 LBS well if (2) 200 lbs people are getting in at the same side you have bent or loose steps. The other brand I considered is the Aries but with no weight rating I am concerned. Black is not an option in the rust belt for me. They would need a complete refinish every year. We have more salt on the roads in the winter than you could believe. The roads look like we are driving on the salt flats white with salt and thats when its dry. When its wet its a salt brine that sprays all over your vehicle that will ruin anything that is not good quality stainless steel in a couple of years. Similar to what acid does.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sounds like you probably want to go with an oval nerf bar rather than round. It gives a bigger foot print for the steps, and I honestly think they look better than the round steps. As for brand, I think it's more important the materials they are made from versus the brand. We have a lot of salt in our area in the winter as has been mentioned. My last truck I had "Stainless Steel" and up until last year they worked good, but you still need to maintain them. During the last season I was very busy and didn't wash the truck as much and this year the cancer set in and the stainless steel looked like it had been driven through a war zone.
This time around, I'm going with Mopar black (It matches MY truck). They are made from aluminum and powder coated. I don't know if they will hold up any better, but from what I've researched, probably won't be worse? As with anything on these trucks, the better maintained they are, the longer they will last. Also, I like that the Mopar are fitted for the truck and they have dual points of mounting for extra stability.
I would have loved to go with the AMP power, but unfortunately my Wallet is a little lighter these days.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you've never used the hoop style nerf bars I would try it out. They make it real easy to get in the cab and look better in my opinion. I got Westin Gen-X steps but other manufacturers of this style include Go Rhino and Nfab

Nice bars thanks for the pics just started looking for a set and wasn't sure what they were called. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a question about nerf bars, our 3500 DRW came with them from the factory, and they look fine. However I believe I like running boards better since they protect from road debris. We are also spoiled because you can step on the running board and get to the tool box or climb in the bed. I know they have the little step, but has anyone seen any nerf bars that go back to the back wheel well to allow access to the bed?

I hate to take them off and get running boards, they seem to be the new thing, and we have spent enough already. Thanks for any help.

·
Green Angel
1,205 Posts
This is my room mates truck a lil dirty in one picture and lifted with no big wheels in the other haha but its gives you the idea of what the nerf bars look like. The brand name on these are NFAB. I personally like the bars that extend all the way to the rear wheel so you get the full effect, and my OCD kicks in a little bit as well haha. Hope you enjoy!

Reactions: scott534

·
Registered
157 Posts
Mine came with the factory bars and they work pretty well. My 6yo daughter haas no problem getting in and out with them installed.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
View attachment 179850

View attachment 179858

Finally got these RBP bars in after waiting weeks. They look fine...drives side has a slight bow in it...probably due to it not being fixtured up properly when welded or the bar was already bent before fabrication started. Installing them wasa real pain in butt !! The instructions tell you to drill a one inch hole...but it really needs a one and a quarter inch hole. I'm not overall happy with the mounting RBP provides and when I finish this job and get home I will rework the mountings more to my liking. As a welder and fabrictaor for over 20 years... I would've rather had saved my money and just built my own and had them powder coated or something..,, for 800 dollars I'm not impressed but rather let down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got the Iron Cross 4" round cab length, very solid and look great. A big bar for a big truck and defiantly protects against idiots/door dings. I can't upload pic, site won't let me, keeps saying I exceeded my data limit. However, you can see them on my avatar pic. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.