Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a third gen, and the wife wanted to add step bars. I bought a used set of Westin Platinum nerf bars that primarily mount to the body mount bolts, with secondary supports to pre-drilled holes in the bottom of the rocker panel. My rocker panels are rusted. Has anyone tried attaching these to the body mounts only, without using the secondary rocker panel mounts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
no, but lack of trust in my rockers to survive that is why I've not added any. I'd think the major concern would be keeping them centered and if you ever did bump something with one it could do some real damage.

I have yet to find any that use the frame for the secondary mount in some way so still haven't purchased any.

·
Trying to learn
5,613 Posts
I have some Dee Zee nerf bars (front doors only) on my truck. They mount to the frame and have served me well for 10 years and counting.
I weigh about 280 and they haven't moved but 1 time when 1st installed. No popping or flexing.

Reactions: rghavana

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I have some Dee Zee nerf bars (front doors only) on my truck. They mount to the frame and have served me well for 10 years and counting.
I weigh about 280 and they haven't moved but 1 time when 1st installed. No popping or flexing.
Any chance you can link which ones? That particular brand looks like it primarily mounts on the rocker panel and just uses the body mounts as a support. Didn't see any that mount to the frame.

That said, when I looked around a year ago I saw some brands did used to make frame mounted ones and stopped. Not sure why but wondered if there was a lawsuit/safety concern that caused that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just removed my driver's side nerf bar ( Westin) because it rusted out and bent in half when I stepped on it. It was mounted to the rocker and the frame they used the holes that are already in the rockers, I broke the body mount bolt under the back door while taking it off. The passenger side is solid as a rock, I can jump on it and it doesn't move at all. If I was going to get another set I will look for ones that bolt to the frame also.
Kevin.

·
Trying to learn
5,613 Posts
Any chance you can link which ones? That particular brand looks like it primarily mounts on the rocker panel and just uses the body mounts as a support. Didn't see any that mount to the frame.

That said, when I looked around a year ago I saw some brands did used to make frame mounted ones and stopped. Not sure why but wondered if there was a lawsuit/safety concern that caused that.
Sorry, it took so long to reply.
I just got the steps and not the cab length bars. This is what I purchased: DeeZee DZ 3700301 3" Universal Round Nerf Step.

The only 2 mounting spots.
Front mount.

Rear mount

·
Registered
10,349 Posts
Ram doesn't advise drilling into hydroformed frames without a sleeve. They're stronger but thinner than the old C channels. No welding either.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Ram doesn't advise drilling into hydroformed frames without a sleeve. They're stronger but thinner than the old C channels. No welding either.
Factory welded the body mounts and bed mounts to the frame . When I had my bed off to clean rust off the frame I could even see were they pieced together sections of the frame and welded them .
Not sure on drilling . I don’t like to drill into the frame of anything unless I really have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Trying to learn
5,613 Posts
Yeah, but people do it every day.
Been 10 years since installation, all looks fine.
I don't recall a single thread about someone's frame cracking/breaking from a drilled hole in the 12 years I been here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts