Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I’m new here. So take it easy on me.

I have a 2010 3500 4x4 DRW. EGR and DPF deleted. 5 inch exhaust and S&B intake. Running an H&S mini max on its 125 horse tune. Firestone bags on the rear end. 285 tires and 17 inch rims. And I believe I have 3.75 gears. But I own and operate a backhoe company I just started. And I lack the muscle to move it very efficiently with my truck. My backhoe is roughly 15-16k pounds and my trailer is roughly 10-12k pounds 30 foot gooseneck. Another local backhoe guy says his 5500 runs 4.88 gears and he gets along fine. But I feel like that’s too low cause this is still my personal pickup. I’m looking for advice in the right gear setup 4.30 or 4.56 maybe? Or should I go with a gear vendor??

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
For starters, running that tune and that load is probably asking to blow a head gasket. The max tow package trucks come with 4:10 gears, since you have larger tires you might consider 4:30 or 4:44 gears. Justdifferentials.com has some tools you can use to see what RPM your truck would be at with different gears and tires. You can find the 68RFE ratios on allpar.com.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Reactions: WVTTS1017
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.