Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

My truck has now 5000 miles so it's time for more power but i'm confused with so many option available
I have a goal of 500HP/1000TQ for next years , i want to start with the exhaust, air intake and box for now and go progressive with the budget available.
For the exhaust i'm looking at the Magnaflow Turbo Back 5" kit , for the air intake it will be the S&B kit and for the electronic i look at the Diablo Programmer or the Edge Attitude
What do you think about that ?????

I dont want black smoke and i drive my truck for personal use, so no towing at all

Thanks

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Exhaust and intake are good choices. When I did mine I went with the MBRP turbo back with the AFE Stage 2. As for Programmer/Chip, Edge makes a great product and I have used them before. I loved the Attitude with its digital gauges and the adjustable on the fly power levels was nice also. The other route you could go is get some mechanical gauges and a Smarty. The Smarty makes some BIG power, but isn't on the fly adjustable. That's what I would start out with in your quest to reach those HP/Torque #'s. Then your looking at a better transmission, injectors, turbos and lots of :$::$::$:.

Hope this helps.

- DG

·
Registered
680 Posts
I did my trans first, I know it is expensive, but a tight tq and modded valve body are a substantial improvement that you can definitely feel.:thumbsup

·
Registered
136 Posts
if your gonna want that much power and torque you are gonna have some smoke.but i would just start with exhaust and air intake.most chips recommend you have exhaust and air intake before you install the chip.

·
Tennesse Chapter President
1,614 Posts
Good rule of thumb. More air in more air out!! And guages guages guages :thumbsup

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks you guys for your input

jjpage did you replace the whole trans or did you change the torque and add a modded valve body

Is the gauge accurate in device like Edge and quadzilla or should i better go with the regular gauge

·
MI Chapter President
5,684 Posts
gauges
air filter/exhaust
smarty
a built trans.... not just parts to one

Ian

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
BHAF and a Huge set of straight pipes, then gauges then start playing with Injectors.... then turbo/turbos then.... programmers and water meth.....
that's the safest way to go for not overheating or anything real detrimental... plus you get to slowly upgrade without blowing your mind all at once or smoking like a total demon... IMO a trans will come at some point LOL you can sell it now and buy another one or toast it and start looking for a built one while you have a really nice paperweight in your garage.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I've put down 460hp/ 1075tq with banks 6gun/pda and 90hp sticks very little smoke and low egts , I know banks is a bad word around here, but it's safe power . ps I dyno with 37 tires so with smaller tires hp would be up alittle .

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What other mod you have on your truck bigorange, i like the fact that Banks make not much smoke

·
Registered
383 Posts
you wont have much smoke compared to what i think you've seen. since its an auto unless you have a 200 extra hp chip (smarty TNT or ppe HOT ) you wont see a lot of smoke; the tq revs right up so boost is right there.
6 speed trucks whole other story.
You will need a turbo to reach your desired numbers, and to light the bigger turbo im pretty sure no matter how you cut it you need more fuel.

x2 for burgundy bomber's method

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What's BHAF mean ??????????????

·
Registered
151 Posts
Big Honkin Air Filter! But i'll tell you one better! "Willy's Whistler" its homemade and i've got my parts on the way and are supposed to be delivered today:hyper::hyper:
Only thing is that i wont be able to install this weekend b/c i'm 2 hrs away from my house :CRY:
If your interested, shooot me a PM and i can direct your in the right way towards one! Its incredible man, way worth the 130 bucks....:thumbsup

1 - 16 of 16 Posts