Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this may sound ridiculous but i was talking to a tech and he was explaining to me that case help design the 5.9L engine with cummins.. He was saying that they used cummins name to promote the sales and all but case had alot to do with the design. I dont know if this is true or not so i was wondering if anyone else has herd of this or knows if this is true.... thanks for your time

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that is a story.

·
Registered
847 Posts
X2 on ^^..........

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I would think that if case designed the best medium duty engine on the market there's no way they would let it say cummins on it. Now if they designed the 6.0 powerstroke it might be another story.

·
Registered
443 Posts
That story is close, but not correct. Case/New Holland (CNH) has developed several engines in partnership with cummins over the years and still are. Benefits for CNH are the engines they want the way they want them, but Cummins still takes the cake. The 6.7 common rail has been in our tractors for almost 8 years now. Can you say test bed?

·
Registered
247 Posts
hey i got some insite in this!

a good input in to the 5.9 build the design started in 1983 with J.I. Case needing a new power plant for their tractor line that could go into a truck line, to make the build more success. case found cummins that was also looking at getting into the medium duty engine maket. the specs that case needed ware simple make an engine that was small, easy rebuild, fewest parts posible (entagrated oil cooler), a simple injection, cam bearings that doen't ever need replacing, and a rebuild interval that is over 500,000 miles and have a start to drive time of less then 3seconds just to name afew.

so what they came up with is the 5.9L cummins you now today 12v 6 cylender inline with ve bosh injection pump.

id say they met all of requirments, and the engine only took 5 years to engineer.

as for the 6.7L (cummins) used in ag equipment the badge on this engine used by case is a iveco engine. a Fiat company. the 6.7l engine is casted in Italy. and shipped to england where they are installed into small and mid size tractors. the engine you know as a cummins 6.7l is a little diffrent then the iveco 6.7l the iveco in the tractors uses a entagral block they use the engine as the tractor frame to attach the front bolster. ( iveco that is shipped over for the swathers is a non entaral block) the timming gears are on the rear of the of the crank shaft.

the 6.7 iveco is an ongoing improving engine (2009 epa off road complient with the use of internal egr cut into the camshaft) 2011 off road complient with external egr (like the onroad engine has now.

i hope this is good information. to start you in the right direction. if you want i can e mail you a 25 page paper on the life of the 5.9 from contract althe way to on going engineering updated (if i can find it):thumbsup:

·
Registered
247 Posts
oh and CNH didnt build the engines FIAT the mother company did!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Yes if you can find that 25 page article i would appreciate it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts