Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to wax my truck and clean up the inside. Questions i have are:

exterior - what is a good wax to use? i dont mind doing the wax on wax off thing. I want something that is going to bring back the shine. The paint is not faded or anything and still looks good. I have been reading this forum and seen something about using a clay bar. will it help to take out some of the swirls in the paint? i would also like to clean up the plastic mouldings on the side and bumpers.

wheels/tires - need something to clean up the wheels. they are the factory aluminum ones. they also have some brake dust on them, most of which i can get off with just wiping it off.

interior - I have heard that Armor All just dries out the plastic and is bad for it. That is the last thing i need to put on my dash. so something that will make it look good like armor all, but help to retain moisture. will whatever works for the inside also work on the tires? also would like to clean all misc dust and crap out of the nooks and crannies...

Glass - i have what looks to be water marks on the glass. it is on the outside, not inside. however, no matter what i do i cant seem to get the spots to go away. is there a such thing as glass polish? i dont see it on the windshield, but on all other glass to include mirrors. this evening after i washed the truck, i wiped down the mirrors. i thought i got all the "water marks" off. i couldnt see them looking at them. however, when i drove it tonight, i could see the "water marks" in the reflection of headlights behind me. what do i use to clean the inside windows with tint? i hear that anything with ammonia is bad.

smokin can you give me a list of stuff to get?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Exterior: Zainos polish (not wax), Zaino Store
Wheels/Tires & interior: 303 Aerospace Protectant, autogeek.net
Glass: Invisible Glass, anywhere.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Clay bar will not take any of the swirls out. Clay bar is used to remove contaminants from the paint. To remove the swirls a polish will be required. Zaino is not a polish that removes swirls. It is a sealant. I would not recommend using Zaino unless you are going to actually polish to remove the swirls. Zaino will not fill or hide any of the swirls. Zaino may in fact make the swirls more noticable. I am not saying Zaino is not good. It is a fine product.

To truly remove the swirls you will need a polish and a polisher. If you are going to get a polisher I would suggest you look at a dual action polisher. A porter cable 7424 or Ultimate Detailing Machine. For the actual polish Menzerna makes polishes that are easy to work with.

Which wax or sealant to use may depend on whether you want the best looking paint or the longest lasting protection. Sealants typically out last waxes. Although this not always the case.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts