Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up the truck and still getting used to it. But so far all I know is it has a new HX40W turbo. 4'' turbo back exhaust. The star wheel turned down half a turn and the fuel screw in a little bit. It only blows smoke if you stop on it from a stop. Its not thick, its more cloudy and dark. I was getting 20mpg going down hwy and then i played with that screw and star wheel. I dropped down to like 13. I also put some 285/75 SSR swampers on it. So it could of been my right foot, trying to see if it got more *** out of it, or the tires or the fact I messed with those functions. It seems to spool just fine, but still seems to be a big turd. any ideas?

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
after you messed with the starwheel, does it smoke more?
turning down the starwheel does not give you more fuel, or more power.. it gives faster fuel, which isn't always a good thing. running correctly will give you the best power and best mileage. normally a good start is to turn it all the way down, and count the turns. bring it back up about 4 full turns. then move in quarter turn increments down and back up to see what works better. the starwheel can cause a lot of lag if you have it up or down too much.

as for mileage.. drive it nice and easy for a tank, and see where your at.. that way you can rule out your driving as the sole cause for the mileage drop.

·
Super Moderator
23,866 Posts
Do you have a clean air filter? If your using the stock air box you need to drill 2-3 2" holes in the front side of it so it can breathe better.

You need to fill out your signature so we know more about your truck.

Like Mattswaggs said turn your starwheel up to 3-4 turns from bottom and tune from there.

What will give you mileage is your right foot and no smoke out the tailpipe.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
thats a chinese knock off hx40

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there a way of putting it back to stock? Im sure the previous owner messed with it as well, so what i did may have only cause it more trouble. when I first got it, it would have a small puff when you start it and then hard throttle just a tad. Runs about the same I think. So take the start wheel and adjust it all the way down. Move it up 4 turns, then 1/4 turns as needed to see what works best. Still getting new to this place, so Im trying to get everything done, more photos updated. a sig. and the rest. Hell if its a knock off turbo, then maybe thats my big issue, not sure. New to the diesel thing. I got this thing for hope in MPG, Good towing and Drive everyday to every other. Im going to be ditching this intake setup and putting a BHAF on it.

·
Super Moderator
23,866 Posts
3-4 turns up from bottom is a good starting point, you might not notice to much with 1/4 turn maybe try 1/2 turn when your trying to get it tuned in.

Do you have the stock air box on it? If so drill holes in it like I said it will breathe better. Did you turn the power screw in or out? Should go in for more power.

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
yea, you will like it for mileage and what not. unless you have the 4.10 gears. mileage in those trucks are never that hot.

the tires you have shouldn't be hurting you too bad. i got the same mileage with my 285/75/16s as I did with my 245/70/19.5s. (tho I had a 4 wheeler in the back when I had the 19.5s on there)

right about 21.8 on the highway.
at the time, tho, my timing was decreased and my truck ran like poo.. so I assume mileage has gone up.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
power screw being also smoke screw? and i got the stock box on here for now, Ill be looking into just changing it into something else. ill give this a wirl tomorrow and go from there on how it does.

·
Super Moderator
23,866 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
play with only star wheel. So far it spools so much faster. when I push the throttle down it actually will get up and I can watch the speedo increase in speed, not just hold the speed im at. I also just found out that my throttle pedal is loose and the nuts wont tighten. I guess ill cut those off and put bolts in the place of those press in studs. ill do more reading on those links and go from there. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
From what I have read, you want to keep coming up on the star wheel until your boost starts to decrease, then you go back in and bring it up a half turn.

I've been messing with mine lately to try and clear up smoke as best I can.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
me has no guages yet to moniter my boost. They would help, so i Could really tell if i was doing better. But I know for a fact just feeling it, that its way better.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
my gauge pods came in, but I was hoping they would fit in ok without having to get the plastic paneling. Previous owner removed all the plastic panels except door panels. No headliner. No Apillar or anything. So guess I have to find a junk yard or craigslist and pull it all out before I can mount up my gauges. Also I know these trucks arent anywhere close to a power house, but Either my truck just doesnt have any power or I have a issue or a tune issue on this pump.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts